need your expertise

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theFAT98, Oct 17, 2014.

1. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Just got 2 single edge razors. Have now experience with them. So I'm looking for info from you guys.

One is a gem with a cream color bakelite handle. When you flip up the top it says gem razor. Made in usa.

Other is a ever ready with octagon handle. Says patented march 24/14 on the bottom. When you flip the top it says American safety razor corp. New York.

Now got to clean them. Thanks for any info.

2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

This and THIS are good threads for cleaning razors.

theFAT98 likes this.
  3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think there a lot of good options. What works really easy for me is sticking them in the barbecide for 10-15 minutes then using a tooth brush with dish soap. It makes it quick and easy, they come out of the barbecide looking all nice and sparkly

markjnewcomb and theFAT98 like this.
  4. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

A little soapy water made with Dawn dish soap and a toothbrush will clean them thoroughly.

The GEM is a Feather Weight (two words) that was released 1953 and was replaced in 1958 by the Push-Button (also two words).
    Here's an ad showing the great Mickey Mantle hawking a set:

[​IMG]

The Ever-Ready is usually referred to as the 1914 because of the patent date, it has no given factory name. The early ones had a round knurled handle and small blades stops. Around 1921 they came out with the smooth hexagon shaped handle like yours and had bigger blade stops. Here is an ad from 1923:

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon and theFAT98 like this.
  5. theFAT98

Thanks Hoosier. Just what I was looking for.

Great info.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The SE with the cream colored handle sounds like a Gem FeatherWeight. It's a later model and the handle may be made of plastic rather than bakelite. The other one sounds like a 1914 model, it should have "lift here" inscribed on either side of the cap. Both razors should clean up well with the same methods as a DE razor. Soak in hot tap water and Dawn dish detergent, then scrub with soft tooth brush and a spray of scubbing bubbles.

The threads posted by mark above are on point. FYI start gently and don't use more force than necessary ! :)

theFAT98 likes this.
  7. theFAT98

Yes it does say lift here on both sides.

Thanks for the reply

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Hoosier Trooper is the SE man!! :happy088:

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The forum rules against giving values

theFAT98 likes this.
  10. theFAT98

Thanks you.

Great to know. Post deleted