Never Mailed A Letter????

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by poppi, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Thanks for your support, I'm a returning member. I've been here since 2012. I have strayed away from wet shaving because since I left the service; I have the the urge to grow a beard. I still use a DE razor on my neck, but no brush, cream, or soap. Just shaving oil and sometimes aftershave. Honestly, when I learned all that stuff in school; I thought other kids were learning it too. I wrote cursive from 2nd grade until probably jr. high where it wasn't required. I can still do it if need be, but I was pretty shocked to find out that younger kids weren't being taught cursive. Growing up in a small town, a lot of us still played outside all day and were fairly fit. But there were still those who stayed inside all day on the computer or playing video games.

Shaver X likes this.
  2. Ryan B

I would consider you a Baby Boomer. Most research shows that that era went from 1946 to around 1964 and then birth rates dropped from there. My dad was born in 1964 and my mom was born in 1963, a few days after JFK was assassinated. Times change and sometimes the world has a hard time keeping up. I wonder what the generation after mine will be. Technology has sky rocketed since 1945 and we're still in that era of a technological boom. By now, everybody is supposed to have flying cars and be able to travel back in time.

There really is no such thing as the good old days. If you look at any time in the past, you'll find some good things, some great things, some not so great things, and some deplorable things. That is one thing that will never change no matter what happens in the world.

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

You can look at it this way. You're no more responsible for others of your generation than I am. It's how you live your life that tells the tale. Teach your kids those things you learned. They never go out of style. Welcome back.

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Sometimes kids seem to absorb the lessons without your even realizing it. My kids can be mouthy, and disrespectful, especially to each other, but every time they go to a friends house, the parents always tell me how polite, and well mannered they are. I have to fight the urge to ask if they understand which ones are my kids.

Ryan B likes this.
  5. Ryan B

I'll tell you the same thing I told Jim. You seem like a great role model and your kids are lucky to have you. There is a lot that people my age can learn from you and others like you. I hope we can turn things around for all of our sake. If I have kids, I will make them write letters to my parents. If I shave my beard off, I'll be going back to my old set up with my brush or even keep the beard and go back to using a brush and soap on my neck. I stopped because it wasn't enough of an area to shave. But I do miss how I used to feel when wet shaving. Thanks for having me back!

RetLEO-07 and RyX like this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I didn't know The Wizard Of Oz had a color section till I was almost out of high school!

RetLEO-07, RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  7. Ryan B

That's funny how that works. My dad used to say the same thing. He would always harp on me and my sister about how were bad and how we needed to be better, but then would tell us how proud he was for getting compliments on our behavior. But if we ever acted like clowns in public, we learned not to act like that one way or another.

cmorris357 likes this.
  8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

No, but I remember the tube radios, you could turn someone's radio up full blast while the car was parked, and the tubes wouldn't warm up and blast them till they drove away!

9. RetLEO-07

No need to thank me. I've only been around here for a month and a half. And it has been interesting.

Ryan B likes this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I was born in '58, That '70's Show is nothing at all the way folks were in the '70's. The way they act, the body language, general conversation, everything is wrong, not that they can help it, they never experienced it.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's a characture of the times. The Andy Griffith Show was no more "real" but sought to entertain folks by poking fun at exaggerated situations. My point was that fathers (mine, anyways) saw their children growing up in a world that was different than the one they knew as a child. It's in a parents interest to teach children their values. Those values may seem outdated to the children considering the rate of technological change. Doesn't change the basic ideals, just the method. Back in my day we got a woopin'. Now The 'Rents cut off WIFI access.

12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That is what happens when kids are raised by helicopter parents, don't have unsupervised play time with their peers, and when everyone wins a trophy. Kids often don't learn to be independent adults and can't deal with stress or disappointment. That many of them are independent, hard working and ambitious is to their great credit. They have overcome the odds, but the deck should not have been stacked against them in the first place.

Matt0210 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  13. RetLEO-07

Amen

Shaver X likes this.
  14. Shaver X

I never had to do that, and my first two cars had distributors. Maybe that was just with Model Ts? ;)

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  15. Shaver X

There are various ways of categorizing people born around 1960-1965. Sometimes people born during this time are classified as a sepearate generation, other times they are classified as the tail end of the Baby Boomers. Still other classifications split the baby boom into two seperate generations (list here).

That is certainly true. People tend to remember only the good things when recalling the past, thus the "good ol' days". Traditional wetshavers do the same thing. They look at the present day wetshaving revival, and imagine it as a reincarnation of a better, earlier time. The truth is that the current revival is a thoroughly modern construct that never existed previously. It incorporates some older elements - safety razors, straight razors, shaving mugs and scuttles, brushes - but combines them with very recent developments such as widespread Internet access and online resources. That in turn enabled the near-instantaneous spread of information and proliferation of wetshaving product artisans and online stores. Guys who used Gillette adjustables long ago usually did so with canned shaving cream, not a soap and brush. Blade types were limited to whatever was sold in local stores. Artisan products? Probably not commonplace. How would people find out about them? How would potential artisans even know the demand existed?

Ryan B and RyX like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

It's a sort of trivial point, but both my sons love music from the late 60's early 70's. Why you may ask? Because that was what was playing in my car when they were in it. They eventually developed their own musical tastes but there is that underlying base of the best music ever! :git:

RyX likes this.
  17. Ryan B

This is most likely wishful thinking, but I hope my generation as a whole sees how much damage was done by helicopter parenting, political correctness, having participation trophies, relying on too much on social media, and calling spankings abuse. Then maybe we can turn things around.

lightcs1776 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I refuse to wear a digital watch.

lightcs1776 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  19. RetLEO-07

Ditto:happy088:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I love my digital watch. It's an "atomic" watch, so it's always accurate and even auto corrects for daylight savings time. I'll never go back to an analog or a sundial. :)

Eeyore likes this.