New account - but not new..

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Bookworm, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

drwevil likes this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Ahha! another Houstonian. I'm at 610 and 45, N. side.

drwevil likes this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Hello Bookworm and Welcome! That's a nice badger you got there:)

4. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den amigo...... :signs046:

5. Bookworm

Thank you. Oddly enough, that's been my avatar that predates TSD, B&B, and the other shaving sites. I've been using it since about 2000/2001? On the Nightstar (dot) net forums. Just a coincidence.

Thanks to everyone else for the welcomes, as well.

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to TSD

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Dangerous area, for you.
    Kingwood for me.

8. Bookworm

I have to head up there in the next few days to install a router and work on a server. (Just north of Kingwood). The neighborhood I'm in is actually quite good. The bad areas are north of us, and south of us. Well, and west of us - the Heights is always an issue :)

I've wondered if I could track down a few local collector/shaver advocates for trading and just plain conversation. I don't have a social life :)

DaltonGang likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Welcome from MN.

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome Bookworm, glad to see you decided to join us.:cool:

11. Bama Samurai

You started me on cold, it was big turning point for the better in my shave experience. It was where I actually started to analyze my issues and break them down. You greatly accelerated my success.

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Sorry so late to this party! Welcome to TSD!

(I feel silly, we've already exchanged posts! Please forgive)

13. Bookworm

Why feel silly - as long as it's a honest sentiment, it's NEVER to late to welcome someone to the party.

14. Bama Samurai

I appreciate your grace. You've already been a great contributor and I'm glad you're here with us.

15. Bookworm

Ehh. I have a LOT of stuff to upload, but I have to get all the photos together, put them on my website, and then link from there. There are going to be a number of picture heavy posts, and I don't want to burden TSD with the storage space.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Very cool. I will be sure to check it out. Are you a collector?

17. Bookworm

I'm a Renaissance Man, or close to it :)

I don't collect to collect, really. I just can't see taking up that kind of space. I like pocket watches, clocks, fountain pens, guns, and razors, but I'm not willing to 'collect' anything that I can't use. I have some I HAVE to pass on, simply because I have too many.

For example, I wanted a LC New. So I have two of them, plus an Otto Roth overstrike. I'm cleaning/polishing up all of them, but I'll likely only keep one. I'm running tests to see if I can polish and lacquer over the raw brass so I can keep the three toned finish shiny :). If not, I'll probably take it to a jeweler or metal shop and have it nickel plated - so it can be used without me worrying about the finish all the time.

My last major purchase, for now, was a 46-47 aristocrat. So far, I've run it through the ultrasound for 10 minutes, and it's barely let out any garbage. The finish isn't perfect by any means, but it looks like it's going to be a NICE shaver.

However - the reason I'm ending up with so many photos is that I don't see a reason to NOT document as much as I can before passing things on. One box I just got has an Unsinger SE razor in it, from the early 20th century. I'll clean it a bit, photograph it, and find someone to either give it to, or sell it to for not much money. If I break even, I'll be ahead.

Same with most of the other random bits and bobs. I've already passed out four razors and some other various stuff to people at B&B - drwevil's daughter is one that got a complete set of blades, 40's SuperSpeed, Arko, and a brush. I'll keep doing that as long as it doesn't cost me too much.

So, I pick up an interest in something, do some research and collecting, then go on to the next, and after a while, I return back to the beginning again. In this case, I think I can get into some of the hobby playing outside of razors, directly, and get my hands dirty again. Specifically seeing if I can get carbon fiber tubes to make replacement handles for Gillette OLD/Brownie :)

drwevil and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

I used to live at San Felipe and Voss, just west of the inner loop. TX born.

19. Bookworm

I'm sorry. Dealing with the Galleria is NOT my idea of fun. Especially not on an every day basis.

Maybe that's why you're not there now? :p

Sorry, had to correct this. - Not Galleria. I can't even remember what they call that area. About the only time I go down there is to go to Richmond and Hillcroft to a customer, or every once in a while, the Boston Market.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Yeah, it's really close to the Galleria, but actually was a nice quiet neighborhood back then. Houston has lots of cool stuff, I miss some of it.