New Barrister and Mann pre-order

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Straight razor dandy, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Get it while you can, these suckers will go fast. Barrister and Mann's new, highly anticipated Fougere Gothique just became available for pre-order.

This is considered the most sought after artisan (or any other) soap/aftershave set release of the year!

2. Straight razor dandy

Here's the scent description:

"I began with the core skeleton of all fougères, the classic combination of lavender, oakmoss, bergamot, geranium, and tonka bean. To this were added the ancient, primordial influences of balsam fir, vetiver, cedar, and mushroom, topped off with the richness of smooth musks, sandalwood, leather, and tuberose. Finally, and most distinctly, I blended in the essences of black ashes and smoldering flame to echo the fires of Hell, burning for all time.

The result was an eerily smooth, smoky fougère with a distinctly “ashy” character and the dark cast of some ancient atrocity. Fougère Gothique is my magnum opus, and I’m very proud to bring it to you this Halloween."

~Will Carius (founder of Barrister and Mann)

Keithmax, RaZorBurn123, Hodge and 2 others like this.
  3. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

Sounds very interesting! I've been following their social media and the new scents they have released for this the past 2 weeks. Definitely will preorder.

Did you go to their site and see the limited edition bowl setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Straight razor dandy

I saw the bowl setup, but it's not my style. I'm sure they will sell out quickly...if they haven't already. There are only 75 of them.

They also have a razor stand and brush in the same design.

5. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Maggard's had a limited number of soap samples last week that they sold one-per-customer. I got one and while the scent is very well constructed it's not really my style. Starts out with ash/smoke/fire, and then as you lather the fougere base and other elements emerge.

The peripheral stuff-- brush, bowl, razor hanger-- all looks great but too much for a cheapskate like me, especially since I'm not getting the soap or aftershave.

Tdmsu and Straight razor dandy like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Rest of the description:
    "What would the Devil smell like if he walked among us?” Obviously he would smell not only of smoke and flame, but also of wealth and classic taste. A smoky fougère, then, one that would reflect the stain of Hell and the forbidden temptations that surround the Prince of Lies.
    "Hell is empty. And all the devils are here. -Will

I've not purchased any B&M soaps in the past and not likely to get this one.

Keithmax and JazzDoc like this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Why not? I'm curious...

theFAT98 likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm sure the soap is swell and smells dandy, but I personally will draw a line when it comes to the marketing what some consider the epitome of evil as a desirous thing.

9. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I dont care for b&M use of musk. It overpowers alot of their scents.

Yea i dont care for that either.

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

Being perfectly honest, I don't care much for it either. If it were marketed more as a Halloween thing, I would be less tentative. I just got the consumables. I didn't go for the bowl, brush, or razor holder largely for those reasons.
    I have no problem using it as a soap, but I do find the "devil" talk off putting.

theFAT98 likes this.
  11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Placed my order today. I have most B&M soaps/aftershaves and love em all.

12. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

This is why I have such a hard time with B&M.I cant be the only one who reads that description and has no clue what it even means...I think the soaps are top notch but scent is HUGE for me, and I have a hard time paying for a soap when I dont have the slightest idea of how it smells...but if it smells like smoke then its just not for me, but take that with a grain of salt as Im someone who will NEVER and NEVER have gone camping and sat around a camp fire...

theFAT98 and Rhody like this.
  13. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Made me go look. Hadn't been in the site in awhile. Soap bowl in his likeness? Pouring it on a little heavy there IMHO.

14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I guess the idea of Satan collectibles never really flipped my minnow.

Tdmsu, Rhody and theFAT98 like this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Its not for me. I stay away from anything that has evil associated with it, that goes with films, videos, talk.

16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

At the very least, having a Satan Bowl in your house just kind of seems like asking for it. I have enough problems in my life without keeping some vessel of the Anti-Christ on my counter.

theFAT98, Rhody and jaxstraww like this.
  17. Straight razor dandy

Apparently, he has taken a lot of flak for this marketing, but it has also been his biggest seller to date. Personally, I feel that has more to do with this growing hobby than with his marketing. I think it will cost him some business.

theFAT98 and IDuck like this.
  18. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

It's soap guys. I doubt he is trying to convert anyone to Satanism. Sure it's an uneasy subject but for most it is simply marketing. Maybe closer to Halloween this goes over better.

Shavers over 45 probably don't care for this angle but there are a ton of goth 20 year old that think this is the greatest.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

Zykris likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If one were to consider the market for premium artisan shaving soaps and limited-edition shave gear to be 20-year old goths, then yes, this approach could be a home run. Somehow I don't think that's the core B&M market.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  20. Straight razor dandy

Will Carius has openly said that people have been filling his emails/messages with complaints about the marketing subject but at the same time it has been his largest product sale ever.

I messaged him and basically told him that it could cost him a lot of business in the long run and even I (as an avid b&m enthusiast/collector) wouldn't recommend continuing this line of marketing in the future.

Religion and politics turn people around REAL fast.