New Blade, Touch ups and irritation

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by mce00771, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mce00771

mce00771 Member

I tried a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black in my flair tip ss today for the first time and it is the best blade I have put to work on my beard yet. I feel like it worked just about as well as a feather knocking down my beard, but without the white knuckle factor. I had one small nick, but that was completely due to my own carelessness. The one thing I had an issue with was during my touch up phase. Today was the first time I tried touching up and I think I had plenty of lather. The issue I am finding is that the only way to remove more hair seems to be going ATG. That seems to me to have a lot more potential to cause irritation. It wasn't bad at all, and I had the best shave I have had to date (DFS all around; BBS in some isolated areas), but I would like to get that smoothness without the irritation. Any suggestions for the touch up phase or ATG shaving in general to cut down on the irritation?

2. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

During my touch-ups, I tend to not use lather and use straight shave oil instead. For me, I apply my pre-shave oil after my last pass to my damp (not dripping) face - I find the extra moisture helps to allow the blade to glide better. I let it sit for a minute and then proceed to touch-up in the areas needed. Once done cleaning up the rough spots, I rinse and apply a good post shave lotion/balm. Irritation has been minimal to zero, as long as I'm careful not to get crazy with the touch-ups.

In the Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving, the author suggests using a milder razor or an adjustable at it's lowest setting to "buff" it out. I personally haven't been able to try this yet, as up until recently I only had 1 razor and its not an adjustable.

I can't say that this will work for you, but it works for me. You may want to try it, you may not. Just offering up my experiences - take what resonates with you and leave the rest. Happy Shaving friend!

mce00771 likes this.
  3. mce00771

mce00771 Member

Thank you. I do not have any shave oil, but I need to get some or make some. After I have it, I will give it a try.

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I'm not sure you really need a 'shave oil' as such..Olive oil will work well. Also you might try touching up with a cross grain approach instead of ATG. I do the XTG and I try not to go too far...