New Blades For me...Yippee!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HolyRollah, Aug 20, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

In today’s mail arrived a package of which I’ve been anticipating for about a week. The contents of this package?
    These:

[​IMG]
    Three packs (30) of Merkur Super blades. I purchased these off Amazon for about $17 ($5.66/10-pack); not the cheapest blade out there, but certainly not the costliest either. Some of you may be wondering, ‘Why order these blades when there are so many better and cheaper options?’ Well, because I really liked the Merkur blade I had the opportunity to use.

Now from what I’ve read on this and similar forums, the Merkur blade has garnered the reputation as being both an overpriced and underperforming blade—a poor value considering the other blade options. So my expectations upon using this one Merkur blade—one that came ‘gratis’ with my Merkur razor—were set pretty low. My hope was to at least get a decent shave or two out of it before discarding it. I usually toss most blades after 4-5 days as they begin to tug or pull.

The end result? I actually wound up using this ONE blade from much longer than anticipated. Alternating daily between two Merkur razors, this one blade provided me with an extended series of absolutely exemplary shaves. After the 4th day, I was prepping to switch out to a ‘new’ blade—but since I hadn’t noticed any degradation in the previous 3 days of shaving, I opted to keep on with the Merkur. It wasn’t until the 11th or 12th consecutive day that I noticed any pulling or change in the quality of the shave.
    So after 12 days, I finally retired the Merkur. Nearly two weeks with a handful of BBS shaves, and the rest, DFS. No nicks, no cuts, no skin irritation.

My standard daily process: Hot shower, good thorough prep, generous lather and a light touch. Before and after every shave I’d hand-strop the blade (4x each edge, top & bottom).
    Could the hand-stropping of the blade have extended the life on this supposedly average-at-best blade? Quite possibly. Now that I have additional Merkurs in stock, I’ll be able to more accurately define the role stropping plays in extending blade-life. This would mean alternating (weekly) blades; one non-stropped, the other stropped.

Who knows? If I can get 12 days for every blade I just purchased, I now have enough (30) to last a year. ;)

Hrolfr, Hanzo and Ryan B like this.
  2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I didn't like Merkur blades personally, but I also had terrible technique when I first used one. Maybe I'll revisit these blades. ;)

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's why you never believe the person who tells you one blade is better than another ;)

HolyRollah likes this.
  4. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

I'm no fan of Merkur blades but that's great that you found something that works so well with you.

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've only tried one Merkur blade so far too and I also didn't have any issues with it. I've still got a 10-pack that came in the sampler I bought when I started. I plan to break them out before long and use them.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I agree 100%, Steve. There is simply no replacing the 'hands-0n' experience of trying DE blades yo'self before proclaiming what is the 'best' blade. Even then, whatever blade is 'better' or 'best' for me—this same blade for someone else may be akin to dragging ragged old sheet-metal across the face. This is the main reason why I'll only purchase blades in very small quantities until I've had the opportunity to personally try them.

swarden43 likes this.
  7. Hrolfr

Hrolfr Member

Amazon rocks!!! I found 100 Merkur blades for $.55 each I think is was a prime or student only deal. I agree with you I have used the blade that came with my razor liked it and figured why bother questioning the blade choice if it works.

HolyRollah likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The Merkurs, as with most blades, are cheaper in bulk. But I have collected so many blades recently, I took the conservative route.
    Just yesterday, a pack of 30 Personna Labs showed up on my doorstep.

So many blades, so little face.....;)

9. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Amazon prime is totally worth the money