New brush recommendation

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Irishjeff, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Irishjeff

Irishjeff New Member

Hello, I currently have a edwin jagger badger brush, its ok but its a little floopy to my liking. I use creams and soaps, lather in a bowl, would like something with some backbone, a nice length handle for use in bowl, the edwinn has a pretty short handle, dont mind it, but thought something a little longer would be nicer. There are so many brushes out there it gets overwhelming, As far as price im good with 150 200 . I looked at thater brushes but wasnt sure which would be good for me. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hi I'm extremely happy with my Rubberset 400, so with this experience. Id recomend a B400 from @twhite .

With this handle,you can choose knot variety.

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  3. Irishjeff

Irishjeff New Member

Thanks David, Im not even sure what size knot to get, not sure of reasons for certain sizes, the only thing im pretty sure about is I would like a bulb more than a fan

4. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I just used my Omega high-brush synthetic. It cost me £18 and is a great brush that's a nice height, got lots of backbone and is still nice and soft. I find it good for face or bowl lathering.

5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I would suggest a Stirling Soap "Kong". I have brushes that cost $100 and brushes that cost $200, and I almost always grab this $15 brush. It's soft as a cloud, but will lather anything you throw at it. If you find you don't like it, your out less than 20 bucks. Here's the link.
    https://www.stirlingsoap.com/synthetic-shave-brush-26mm-x-63mm-kong/

DesertTime likes this.
  6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Big fan of the Muhle Silvertip Fibre here. Ive got both a 21mm and 25mm and theyre both awesome. The 21mm is all you need, really...

7. Stephen Jones

Stephen Jones New Member

I will second the Muhle Silvertip Fibre. I have the 23mm. Best brush I have ever used. Expensive but worth it.

8. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

There are just so many choices. You might look at an Omega Boar brush. Great once you break them in and they lather like a big dog.

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  9. Irishjeff

Irishjeff New Member

Thanks you guys

10. Irishjeff

Irishjeff New Member

Thanks David, how do I contact this person? Or do they have a site online

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I just bought the same brush. My first synthetic. I was quite surprised at how good it is. I actually prefer it to all of my badger brushes. I will say that my SOC Boar has become (now that its broken in) my best/most comfortable brush. However the Omega Hi-Brush, for $20.99 is a wonderful buy and is getting used a lot.

dangermouse likes this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

13. korbz

korbz Active Member

If you want a great badger for around that mark, it's hard to go past Shavemac. Bernd is great to deal with and knows his knots. It won't produce a better lather then you would get with a $10 synthetic, but are any of us in shaving to save money? :D

Just get in touch with Bernd and tell him what you're looking for and he'll make a suggestion. I'd say silvertip 2-band (listen to his knot width to loft advice)

SpeedyPC and dangermouse like this.
  14. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I'll chime in with the synthetic recommendations. Many people seem to prefer the Plisson style knots over their high end badger brushes. The Stirling Kong recommended above is a good choice, as well as the RazoRock barber handle Plissoft since you want a long handle. There are quite a few brushes that use this same knot but those two are good starting points.

A lot of these synthetics are incredibly inexpensive so they're worth a shot unless you're positive that you want a badger knot. The aforementioned brushes are only between $10 and $15 brand new.

15. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I've recently re-discovered mine. I am really enjoying using it again.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Adopt a Jayaruh. Great brushes and what a craftsman !

17. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I would try a Simpson PJ2 (Persian Jar).
    I know the Shavemac are popular, and I tend to think they are everything everyone says. However, I've never owned one.
    But from your description( longer handle, more density), the PJ fits the bill. Simpson is well known for good backbone and density, they have a really long track record, and you can pretty much find something in their line that will fit the bill, no matter what your requirements.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I contacted @Jayaruh as he posted pics of some handles that I really liked. I wanted a good quality badger. He worked with me on what knot would best fit what I was looking for. I ended up with Jayaruh #94 with a Whipped Dog high mountain badger knot. This s a very luxurious brush that ended up costing well below the OP's budget.
    JR94_08.jpg

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

How about this and these are all great brushes
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Carbide Mike and bscarpenter like this.
  20. Irishjeff

Irishjeff New Member

Thanks you guys, very nice recommendation's

bscarpenter and Carbide Mike like this.