New convert to "proper" shaving!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by prize, Nov 16, 2008.

1. prize

prize New Member

Hi all,....first-time poster here.
    I've been interested in the "finer art" of shaving for quite a while, but never really got round to taking the plunge.
    However, I decided to indulge in a nice badger hair brush and some proraso shaving soap. I also sent for one of the trial packs of blades. Now, I dare say i'm covering old ground here (apologies) but was wondering what people on here consider to be amongst the better safety razors?? I'm very aware of the Merkur brand, but I've also been looking at the Parker's??? Also, i dare say that i'm going to get told that it's a very individual and personal thing, but i'm sure that there are a few "regular favourites" that crop up. Obviously, being new to it all, i don't want to be spending an absoulute fortune on the thing, but from what i've seen, you don't have to spend a fortune to get a very good razor???

Anyway, thanks for any help.:D

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

Hey, welcome! You made a good choice...I did the same not too long ago.
    If you're really looking to get a good razor for a good price, a vintage Gillette is a pretty good bet. I use my grandfather's Tech, and it's a fine shaver. You can get them for a little bit of nothing off Ebay, or check the Classifieds here, they sometimes pop up.

Enjoy!

3. Hi there new guy,

You did some research I see.......the brush and soap selection sounds good. Plus, you were smart enough to order different blades to try.

Here's something that may help a bit. Heh, I know I learned a few things myself.

Good luck on your shaving journey,
    Martin

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7517

4. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD, Prize.

My first DE was an old beaten up Gillette/Rotbart hybrid, that i found in an antique store for a couple of bucks.
    It looks horrible and the chrome is flaking off, but it shaves like a dream. Since then i have also bought a Feather Popular and a Parker 96R out of curiosoty (and they were cheap).
    I must admit that the old DE was and is the best one for me. The other two are much lighter in weight and this makes me apply more pressure when shaving, with razorburns as a result. I can understand why you have the Parkers in mind, as they are good looking affordable razors.
    If i buy any more DE's in the future, it'll be a vintage one, but as you said, that's just my opinion :D

P.S. As everyone else in here, you'll probably end up with several razors in the end. It seems that one is never enough... :happy102

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

My .02 Cents

Welcome to the Den! For a beginner razor, I just don't think you can go wrong with a Merkur HD -- wonderful razors in every aspect IMHO.

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I learned on an HD and its still one of my favorite razors.

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Welcome Prize!

8. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome!

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Welcome to The Shave Den! :D

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Welcome, prize! And I would suggest going with a vintage Gillette, as well. The Tech or a Super Speed would be a very good affordable start.

12. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Greetings and Salutations!

13. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Welcome!

14. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

Welcome to TSD!
    I personally like a slant but it may not be a good starter razor.