New DE!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joelio, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Here's the new toy I got in the mail from Joe at italianbarber! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Nice razor, as is the shaving stand...Did you make the shaving stand?? You'll have to give us a review and your opinion of the razor and how it shaves...:happy088:

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Nice looking razor. I've been tempted even though I don't need another. And welcome to TSD BTW!

4. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Great looking setup you have there, congratulations.

5. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Thanks! I did make the stand! It started as some scrap wood and a shower curtain hook. I actually finished it last week. There's a thread about it here:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/making-custom-de-razor-brush-stand.36443/page-2#post-660598

Thanks! My favorite part so far (without completing a shave yet) is the weight! I'm used to a Weishi that's aluminum so it's super lightweight. The has a solid brass handle, so it's HEAVY. For $20 it's a steal (with the 20 blades that are included too)

6. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Nice set up. It's good to see you were able to put your stand to good use.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

8. Matinee

Matinee New Member

Is that the Razorock Mission? How's the shave? For $20 and 20 blades included, great deal.

9. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

It is the Mission. I actually just shaved with it for the first time. Granted, I'm comparing it to a Weishi, but I'll try to write a review (my first razor review!)

Razor: RazoRock Mission
    Blade: brand new Gillette 7 O'clock yellow
    Soap: Van Der Hagen Luxury
    Brush: Escali Pure Badger

First, I'll say that my first impression was a favorable one. It's VERY heavy compared to my Weishi. The knurling on the handle is very deep so it's grippy. No fear of dropping it, even when it's wet. This is my first 3 piece, so installing a blade will take a little getting used to. All of the parts are heavy and seem well made. Once the blade was in place, I noticed that it appears to be much more aggressive than the Weishi (again, not much of a baseline, but it's what I have to compare it to!)

On to the shave: stated with a few drops of Shave Secret pre-shave oil on my face and neck. (I've recently started using oils and have gotten closer and smoother shaves since!). My brush had been sitting in the sink filled with hot water, so it was warm and wet before building my lather. I face lather, so I loaded my brush and built a thick, rich lather. I started with a WTG pass. The weight of the Mission means that you have to apply ZERO pressure. It's a smooth, but fairly aggressive shave. Lots of audio feedback with each stroke.

Finished up with my normal ATG pass and some light buffing and I have to say, it's the best shave I've ever gotten. The ease of the shave and the comfort of the handle were awesome.

I can't really use a rating scale because I don't have a bunch of other razor experience to compare it to, but I have to say that for $20, if any of you are interested in a brand new, seemingly high quality razor, it's well worth the buy. Also includes 20 blades!!

10. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Nice razor and killer stand!

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I wish I needed a new razor, I'd get one. Nice review.

12. 4waves

4waves New Member

b e a utiful.

13. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

An update on this razor: the first few shaves left me with a little irritation but it also taught me a lesson: just because one blade works in a razor doesn't mean it'll work in a different one! The 7 O'clock yellows that shaved so well in my Weishi have me a fair amount if irritation in the Mission. I tried a Silver Blue today and it gave me a BBS, irritation free shave! Lesson learned!

14. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Nice shaving razor. I do like the heavier handle of the Mission over the similarly designed Merkur 180.