DEC 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Nov 30, 2015.

?

Do you use pre-shave oil?

Poll closed Dec 30, 2015.
  1. Yes.

29.9%
  2. I have tried, but don't use it regularly.

25.4%
  3. No.

40.3%
  4. What is pre-shave oil?

1.5%
  5. I am just here for the cookies.

3.0%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I think the true test of a shave is how it feels later. Your AS example is another of how things work out. I've had shaves where I was sure it was awful.... Yet 6 hours later it felt fine. So, I just remark on my shaves whenever the mood strikes.

2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Ask and you shall receive. So, as far as "big shaving" is concerned....

Drygulch, Rufus T., Bill_F and 6 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have found that there is a difference between how long some shaves seem to keep me smooth. If I compare two shaves right after, I may have a similar impression of each. But, sometimes later in the day, that same feeling changes as seem to have more roughness some days than others.

In terms of irritation, I have never had a case where irritation gets worse, but I have definitely had times where it sticks with me longer than others, and this would probably change my rating on occasion.

Herm2502, Drygulch, Hodge and 7 others like this.
  4. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I rate my shaves between a hour and 2 hours after and if its drasticly different in the morning I post an additional shave report. Most of the time what I call 2 hours after is what it is in the morning but very dull blades even if they give me a bbs at night leave me feeling like I need to shave again by morning. I don't give aftershaves a chance to mellow. I like it or I wash it off and try again.

Drygulch, Rufus T., Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Like you I post my thoughts 15-30 minutes after my shave working on a short time table. I truly judge how good or bad a shave is later in the day. I can get a near BBS shave with pretty much any of my razors judged as soon as the shave is complete. However, as the day goes on certain combination do provide longer lasting shaves.

On aftershaves, I judge them after several hours unless the AS smells truly horrible. If that happens, I wash it off and move to something else.

Drygulch, Hodge, Rufus T. and 5 others like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks fellas!!!! Very interesting because earlier today I shaved my head and at the time I thought for sure it was one of my worst. Now a couple of hours later my head feels silky smooth, Possibly the best head shave I've had.

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

And it still whines everyday since last summer that I never take it anywhere.

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I notice that sometimes I will rejudge the shave later on the day yes, usually because of how it feels after that time. I've called a few shaves DFS or even near DFS only to decide later that afternoon that it was probably BBS based on how smooth my face continues to feel. Also it's worked the other way "what a great DFS or BBS" and a few hours later I'm wondering if I shaved. On most days, though, things pretty much stay the same. Or else I just don't pay attention.

9. DFrazier

DFrazier Well-Known Member

Yeah i forgot about that didnt I? Sorry

Its an EJ Best Badger. I like it haha.

Also forgot to mention, feather HI blade.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hey NCox, along with celebrating Billy Mennen's 85th year of Skin Bracer(and I believe the deodorant too, but I could be wrong on that), a big celebration for me on July 12 of 2016....marks the 50th anniversary of my Dad taking me to Busch for the All-Star Game!

wmbjr, Drygulch, Norcalnewb and 7 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

For me each and every shave is different, not in a big way, but to some degree different. Then some days it is very different. Part of the fun of shaving with many razors, shave soaps, and after shaves, even if everything is the same the shaves are not the same. IMHO. :)

wmbjr, Drygulch, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Well, I believe I can finally say I voted for a winner in the monthly survey. No celebratory shave yet though.

wmbjr, Rufus T., Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You're off to a really great start.

wmbjr, Drygulch, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  14. Paul Turner

I was going to say-what else is Mr. Frazier forgetting???? (no offense, all in fun).

wmbjr, Drygulch, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I love it when that happens!

wmbjr, Drygulch, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  16. DFrazier

DFrazier Well-Known Member

Haha well I'm posting from my phone cause i cant log in from work so i tend to not get everything in there.

I need to start posting from my laptop when i get home. Lol

wmbjr, Drygulch, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

I totally agree with you.

wmbjr, Drygulch, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

Chris, my noggin is sooooo smooth I even asked my daughter to rub it ;) afterwards my wife told me my daughter had just finished a piece of chicken. :eek: With the hands that she rubbed my head with. :shocked003:

Troy M, wmbjr, Bama Samurai and 7 others like this.
  19. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

12/3/15

Gillette New LC
    Rapira Super Stainless (3)
    Vulfix Super Badger (660)
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Georgetown G12 Scuttle
    Pinaud Clubman Original

Shaved this morning, but haven't been able to post until now. Third day with Mitchell's Wool Fat and the Rapira Super Stainless in the New LC.
    Like yesterday, I put about a tablespoon on top of the soap puck while the brush soaked in the scuttle. After squeezing out the brush, I dumped the bloom water out of the soap container and into the scuttle. I swirled the brush in the soap for about 30 seconds (up from yesterday's 10 and Tuesday's 20 seconds). Once again the lather was initially full of air bubbles, but after some work, it began to look pretty good. I added about 6 drops of water as I lathered. The lather looked great and felt really slick.
    IMG_1799.JPG

It went on my face nice and smooth but perhaps a little drier than yesterday. 2 full passes: Pass 1 XTG. Very good reduction. Pass 2: ATG. Did small amount of touch up where I could feel stubble. A cold water rinse and I added lather as needed for my final touch up. The Pinaud Clubman stung a bit, but quieted down quickly. Ample amounts of lather remained after I finished:
    IMG_1800.JPG

Another nice BBS from the Rapira Super Stainless in the New LC. I followed Neil's (@NCoxSTL) suggestion to continue blooming the soap and to spend more time with my brush in the soap container. Today, I went up to 30 seconds. Tons of great lather resulted. Almost to the point where the scuttle threatened to overflow. I was surprised when I realized it was a little dryer than it might have been. It was better when I went for my second pass because I had just rinsed my face. Tomorrow, I'll plan to add a little more water. Overall, it was a very nice shave.

wmbjr, Bama Samurai, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

wmbjr, Bama Samurai, Drygulch and 7 others like this.