New gear and my first shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jabberwock, Jan 4, 2013.

1. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

My new gear just arrived in the mail today, so I will give you folks my first impressions of the stuff and a little description of my very first DE shave.

I bought a few packs of blades, some soap, and two razors (I already had the Vie Long horse hair brush). I chose a Razorock Mirrored Pole TTO for my wife (we both really like the look and feel of it) and an Edwin Jagger DE86 for myself. The DE86 looks and feels nice, but is way smaller than I was expecting, not unusable or anything, just a lot shorter than either the box or my preconceived notions would suggest. The DE86 itself is nice, but the box is a huge disappointment. The box looks very nice on the outside, but the razor was wrapped in tissue paper with no cushioning or anything else to protect the razor from bouncing around inside the box. Seeing as the box is at least twice the size of the razor, the possibility of the razor bouncing around seems like a good possibility. I had never seen so little used to protect an item before, but the razor appeared to be undamaged so I guess the complaint holds little merit.

To perform my first DE shave I took my little bitty DE86 into the bathroom and loaded a Lord Platinum into it before soaking my Vie Long brush in some warm water and putting a hot towel on my neck and face (normally I shave after a shower, but today I waited so that I could use the new gear). I splashed some hot water onto my face and neck and loaded my brush up with some Razorock Napoleon's Violet soap, which lathered quickly and easily. The soap went on easily and thick, and while I like it I did not feel any sudden desire to disdain canned creams and gels forever. Once I was lathered up I took a deep breath, wet the razor and prepared to slice my carotid artery in half or scrape off layers of epidermis. Neither of these things happened. The razor worked well and required only two passes to get a very smooth shave. I ended up with a tiny semi-nick on my neck, but no other cuts. The styptic pencil made quick work of the barely noticeable nick. Styptic is evil. It feels like pouring lemon juice onto a paper cut while weasels bite your toes. I would hate to use this stuff on a real nick, but it works. Once my shave was done and I rinsed off, I did notice some irritation on my neck. I attribute this partly to not taking a shower first and partly to inexperience. I figure a few shaves down the line I will be just fine.

A few note worthy things that I noticed: First, lathering with soap was not nearly as time intensive as I expected it to be. Maybe it was just because the soap was so soft, but it didn't take too much more time than using canned gel. Second, the soap worked, but it wasn't some super product that changed my life. I understand why people prefer it over canned stuff, but it doesn't make me hate the canned stuff. Third, the brush works well, but I wouldn't say that using it was particularly special either. I can't see myself ever spending more than $20 on a brush, I just don't see the benefit. Last, the razor was not something that I should have had any fear of using. Shaving with it is not that much different than shaving with any other razor. Some subtle technique improvement and a light hand is really all that I need to be successful with it. This may be in part due to the mildness of the DE86, but I think an equal part is that too many people make too much of the skill needed to use a DE razor. If you have shaved before then you can use a DE razor without too much adjustment. Sure, it requires some alteration to the basic technique, but it is not a huge thing.

I liked the shave well enough to be happy that I switched over from cartridges and the savings will be significant over cartridges. I appreciate the artistic manufacture of the equipment and the stuff looks a lot nicer than any cartridge razor. In spite of these improvements to the shaving aspect of my life I still see shaving as a chore that is necessary rather than fun. I will continue to use DE razors and will try different blades and creams/soaps to find the perfect combo, but I will remain a shaver rather than a serious shaving hobbyist. Don't get me wrong, I like this shaving gear a lot more than my old shaving gear and I plan to continue getting advice and ideas from you fine folks, but shaving is still shaving.

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

RazoRock is legendary for it's quick lathering, partly due to the quality formula they use and partly because it's an Italian Soft Soap. The only true issues that come up with lathering being picky tend to be triple milled soaps OR ones that are low quality like Burt's Bees that you can't get to lather with anything, and you wanna throw it through a window to hopefully kill wildlife outside out of sheer frustration.

The heavy amounts of caution we push are to prevent people from using pressure, if one uses the same amount of pressure as you would with a Fusion, for instance, you'd end up with a face that looked like you shaved with a belt sander and feel twice as bad afterwards. Some of it is of course hyped up, but something like a straight razor, or R41 (Which is basically like shaving with a DE Blade taped to a popsicle stick) does demand actual attention. Once technique is solidified, it all becomes second nature, and quicker - 99.99999%+ of the time is also bloodless.

Brushes, are a personal preference for users as well, you'd be surprised how many love brushes that are less than $20. I can't say anything here because I have an expensive Simpsons Chubby in Best Badger, and just ordered a Plisson, and will probably order another one soon - they are insanely priced but I'm infatuated with them.

Glad you enjoyed it though!

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Congrats! I agree the switch from a cartridge razor to a DE isn't all that tough but I do still have to concentrate a little to keep the pressure off.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being in it for the cost savings. I appreciate the higher quality and cheaper blades too. Since I started with the DE and non-aerosol cream, my face is a lot less irritated and I think that part's great too. I have to shave every day since I'm in the military so it's nice to find a way to make a required chore a little more effective and enjoyable at the same time.

damarico73 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  4. jabberwock

being cautious and suggesting caution are both good things, but if I were to believe the majority of people on various forums who advise soon to be new DE shavers about the difficulties and unique technique involved in DE shaving then I would develop an unhealthy fear of using the razor. I think it is the primary reason that so many newbies fret so much about the specific blades that we should use, because we are so afraid that the wrong blade will be like using a rusty cheese grater. I watched a guy on YouTube today who did zero research on how to shave properly, pulled a new Merkur out of the box, made a mess of lathering himself, and shaved with zero problem using a Merkur blade. The video was mostly about the environmental impact that cartridges have, not about shaving--other than to show people that there is a greener alternative. the point here is that guys have shaved for decades using these razors and did so without the fear that so many of us new users have. Caution is important, but too much caution just becomes fear.

I like the soft soap and how easy it is to use. I had some Williams soap sitting around that I bought a long time ago for who knows what reason. I found the box and tried some the other day, only to decide that I truly hate it, it was difficult to lather and dried out my face. After using it I was sort of dreading the Razorock stuff, but luckily I was completely off base on that. I have some eShave White Tea shaving cream coming soon and look forward to comparing it to the Razorock soap.

All in all, I am satisfied with my jump into this new shaving realm. My wife is pretty excited to use her razor too, so maybe we'll end up converting some others and expanding the popularity of DE razors. You're never so loud about promoting an idea as you are when trying to convince others of its merit.

5. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

YMMV. Its great you had such a good first experience but assuming its the same for everyone isn't very fair. There are a lot of different factors that play a part including skin and beard type.

The good news is that it will still get better... until you try those Derby's I sent. ;)

6. jabberwock

I'm not trying to say that everyone will have the same easy experience that I did, some will have a more difficult time and some will have an easier time. What I am saying is that everyone shouting 'you'll shoot your eye out' has the opposite of the intended effect. Think about all of the times that you were overly warned about doing something new, did all of those warnings of possible problems make you more or less confident? Nervousness is an excellent way to botch a new activity. The first time I do something new I try to learn as much as I can without focusing on the negatives so that I am not overwhelmed, but that wasn't possible with DE shaving because there are so many folks shouting out the possible issues. This made me nervous when I had no real reason to be. It's good to offer up some caution and to make sure you emphasize a few key issues, but when you're new at something and all you hear is how easy it is to mess up then maybe those words of warning have gone a little too far.

I'm actually looking forward to using the Derbys, just got the package today (I really appreciate it). I know the QC on Derbys is supposedly not as good as it used to be, but who knows, maybe I'll get lucky with them. The Dorcos would be even better, because I can get them in bulk nice and cheap...we'll see how it goes. I have high hopes. :)

Whew, it took me five tries to get that reply out...kept sneezing and accidentally hitting the post button. Hope that doesn't happen when I shave tomorrow...I don't think I would enjoy a jagged zig zag scar across my face.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm glad it went well for you. My first wetshave was with a 1912 Gem loaded with a less-than-stellar quality drugstore blade. Soap? Cream? No, just a can o'foam. Worst of all, zero technique and no access (yet) to a board like this for help. Result: not good. Remember the scene from THE SHINING where the elevator doors open? Kinda like that.​
    You're off to a good start.​

8. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

I get what you mean. I think I misunderstood what you're original post was saying.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I find it funny now that I DE shave,how many people actually fear shaving this way. While caution is good, their fear is actually unfounded and is more a result of lack of correct information and BS advertising by the major players in the shaving industry than anything else. I agree that if you now shave with a cart/dispsable razor you absolutely can easily shave using a DE or SE razor! In fact if all you did was to change from your canned goo to a decent hard soap or cream your cart/disposable shaving would see a vast improvement in quality and comfort I.M.O.

After 34 miserable years of shaving 10-12 times a month, using a Trac2 razor and canned crap, I can honestly say I had no fear of trying a DE or SE for that matter. Slicing layers of skin off my face actually never entered my mind(they are safety razors after all), in fact in two years of DE/SE shaving I've only actually cut myself once(my own fault). I was more worried about getting even worse razor burn and irritation than I was already getting with the Trac2. In fact after doing some research and seeing some videos I was VERY much looking forward to my first shave...:shaver

I've found everything about "traditional" wet shaving a PLUS for me, the equipment,soap,technique and costs are all stellar, only the shave time is not quite as fast, but so MUCH more enjoyable and irritation free I really don't mind...:D. I can say that since I've started to shave this way, everyone I know who has given "traditional shaving" a fair try(which doesn't take that much effort, just a little instruction), is still shaving this way and enjoying it. It's amazing how it's changed my attitude towards the mundane and downright hatefull task of shaving! For 34 years all I wanted was to do was retire and grow a beard, and NEVER to shave again!! After discovering "traditional" shaving I now shave EVERYDAY and LOVE it......:love029:

I'm postive that if "traditional" shaving was given half the AD time of cart shaving it would rapidly become the second mainstream way to shave in this country!! Don't look for that to happen anytime soon however!!..:happy097:

10. jabberwock

I was a hospital corpsman with the Marines for five years, I was a part of a joint task force boarder patrol in Bosnia where everybody seemed to enjoy using us as target practice, I've performed field surgery, been shot twice, and had my leg sliced open by concertina wire...and I was afraid of using a DE razor. It's insane, but like I said all of the warnings of possible face maiming really psyched me out. I am still a little hesitant to try "sharp" blades like Feathers or Bolzano Superinox (I have a pack of the latter sitting on my new "shaving shelf" just waiting for me to try).

I agree 100% that if there was more of a commercial presence for DE razors that the popularity would skyrocket. With the number of new DE shavers growing so quickly by word of mouth alone, all it would take is for a serious commercial endorsement to get people to migrate en masse.

I was in the drugstore yesterday and decided to take a peak at the current price for my old cartridges...they're up to $30 for an eight pack! Even the most expensive DE blades are no where near that expensive.

bittermormon likes this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I remember seeing commercials for electric shavers that showed guys getting nicked with safety razors. They would flinch and an announcer would exclaim "ouch!". Those ads seemed to have ingrained in the public consciousness that safety razors tend to nick and cut a lot. It leads many to approach old school razors with some trepidation, and deters many from ever using them at all. The solution is education, often done through forums, but also via books and videos. If you have not purchased a copy of Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving, it is a good companion to this forum and Mantic's videos.

There is some hyperbole on the wetshaving forums, and it can make things seem better or worse than is actually the case. Some folks make using Feathers seem like shaving with one of Freddy Krueger's steel claws. That is nonsense. Feather blades do seem sharper and more aggressive than most other blades, but all razor blades are pretty darned sharp. Patience, practice and developing a good shaving technique are the best defense against cuts and irritation with any blade. And Bolzano's are supposed to be uber sharp and fearsome? I guess 'your mileage may vary' because that was certainly not my impression of them.

You are right on the money there. Corey Greenburg did a segment on the Today show six years ago that made the then-small wetshaving hobby grow by leaps and bounds. Maybe Edwin Jagger will do a TV commercial? Or perhaps Art of Shaving.

They are even more expensive in some areas, up to $35. It's crazy. Gillette is shooting themselves in the foot.