New guy, first DE shave

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Joel W, May 21, 2015.

1. Joel W

Joel W Member

Hey all, just finished my first shave with a DE. Coming from a fusion pro glide is quite a change. But I wanted to get into DE, so I did some research and wanted to put myself something together for less than $100 to get started. I bought a merkur 34c with feather blades, and semogue? 620 boar hair brush, and nice little chrome stand, and col conk bay rum soap($5) all from a place that im not sure I can mention here or not (they are on the west coast). Lathered up, first thing I noticed with the merkur and feather combo vs the fusion was that there was no tugging. I managed to shave two passes, only nicking myself once on the adams apple. Overall first shave was pretty good. Have a few rough spots and hardly no irritation. Im sure in time I will get my technique down and get smoother shaves. Any advice on my soap or shave gear is appreciated. Anyways, just saying hello.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

4. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den Joel. :signs046:

You got yourself some nice gear! The only thing I would suggest is to get a blade sampler and try out different blades.

There are other good quality and inexpensive soaps out there, but if Col. Conk works for you then that's great! :happy088:

Your milage may vary.

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

6. Joel W

Joel W Member

spacehobo, im sure there are better soaps and brushs out there. I guess I had my $100 budget and the last thing on the list was the soap lol. It seemed to have good reviews and was pretty cheap, so I grabbed one. I hear good stuff about caties bubbles, might try that soon.

spacehobo likes this.
  7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Please sign up for the Newbie Give-Away HERE

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Glad that you landed here at TSD, Joel! It is a great community of shavers.
    Join us on The Shave of the Day thread. That is the place to post your daily shaves. It is fun, and you will see all kinds of products.
    And please Mark YOUR location on the TSD map:) - instructions here.

10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Great start. Welcome.

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard!

12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Hi Joel! Welcome to TSD. Good to have you here. :)

13. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

welcome....and so another journey begins....enjoy this time as everything is new and exciting (not saying that ever goes away) but fight the urge to "try new things" and get that technique down

14. Joel W

Joel W Member

The more I look, the more I'm interested in straight razor shaving. But I know I gotta learn to walk before I can run!

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You should learn about maintaining a straight razor, but don't be afraid to jump in! People were learning to shave with those long before safety razors were invented.

(Though on reflection, most people just went to the barber to be shaved before WW1).

16. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

sounds like your off and running.

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den, Joel!

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

20. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Hey Joel, welcome from a fellow newbie!

I just had my first wet / DE shave myself this past Tuesday. I've been posting my daily shave in the Shave of the Day thread and getting some real good feedback there. Also check out the 30-Day Rule thread. There's a lot of great info on this site as I'm sure your finding, but also consider making posts and asking questions - there's a bunch of great members here with a passion for this stuff who are most eager to share their knowledge and experience.

Cheers!
    - RT