New guy - need help identifying a DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bootflap, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Bootflap

Bootflap New Member

Hey guys,

It's really nice to sign up and post here. I've been lurking for a couple weeks now, as I've been bitten by the wetshaving bug. I've been shaving with canned gel and using cartridges since I was in high school but I recently uncovered my great grandfather's DE safety razor and it sparked an interest in me. I've been using it along with the Van Der Hagen set you can pick up at Walmart and I'm totally into it.

Since I'm completely new to this world, though, I'm having a little trouble confirming just exactly what kind of model this Gillette is. There's no date or anything anywhere on it, or the case. Through my own research I think I can pinpoint it to maybe a 1948 - 1950 Gillette Superspeed but I'm not 100%. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, and it's great to be here!
    IMG245.jpg IMG246.jpg IMG247.jpg IMG248.jpg IMG249.jpg

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Welcome! No idea what that razor is.

3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Kinda looks like a 50's flair tip super speed...

4. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

It is a flair tip super speed. It should have a letter and number on the underside of the head Z=1954 (1st year), A=1955, B=1956 etc, the number 1, 2, 3, or4 denotes the quarter of the year it was made.

Hard to tell from the pictures but it could be an English version known as a rocket. If so it would have patent numbers instead of the date code.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Erik Redd likes this.
  5. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

:signs011: Here's a good pic from the web of the Z1

[​IMG]

Luteplayers likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Sign up for the Newbie give-away HERE

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is a great razor to start using. Mild but not overly mild and good for a beginner. Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

mxsloan likes this.
  8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Welcome. You'll like that razor. Very nice shave. Super Speeds are greatness.

9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome. Thanks for sharing the pics of your granddad's razor. That is awesome that you have it and shave with it.

10. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! Looks like you're off to a great start!

11. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Welcome to the den. I hope you enjoy using your granddad's razor, Super speeds are great razors :)

12. Bootflap

Bootflap New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys, and thanks for the tips and info!

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yup, excellent razor. I hope you'll like it as I liked mine!
    And welcome to TSD!

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    welcome.jpg
    Nice razor. Enjoy your stay.

15. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself

16. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

Welcome to the Den