New Guys SR Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Redfisher, Jan 2, 2017.

1. George X

George X Well-Known Member

They will come but I want to take this slow and do weekends only until the time comes where I can expertly maneuver the straight around without a nick, cut, or weeper or having to touch up with an SE or DE. Regardless of the currently flawed straight result, I do enjoy the relaxing moments while using a straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. George X

Because I know my grip and angles need help, maybe I need to step backwards and try practicing with an empty shavette.

Spyder and Redfisher like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Heck, just jump in, both feet. Just go slow on the strop. It will all fall into place, quicker than you think.

4. George X

Well today was a Success.

It was a quiet relaxing morning with just me, my strop and the Engels Success.
    [​IMG]
    Three SR complete (2-WTG and 1-ATG) passes. My chin, jaw line and under the chin/neck needed help with the DE to clean up. I consider this a success because there is no blood and the SR only shaven areas are smooth as butta. There is yet more work to do (stretching, gripping and angles). I have begun incorporating some techniques written here and they are helping.

Keithmax, leitmotiv, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  5. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Speaking of success this Joh. Engstrom delivered a very good shave today. First time using it and I'm glad it doesn't need to be honed. I just gave it a decent stropping. DFS to BBS and no blood. Even my chin is passable. The Crown and Crane soap worked very well and the Cat O Nine Tails as usual is napalm in a bottle. It hurts so good! Happy shaving guys!

IMG_1573.JPG

Keithmax, leitmotiv, George X and 3 others like this.
  6. Redfisher

I was thinking about the shave I had today and what I'm learning. I can't hesitate or be "shy" with the razor. Direct motions, just like with a safety razor. Start the stroke and complete it. Not fast but not slow either. Have a plan. This is getting easier to do with each shave. If in doubt pause, take a breath and start over. The pieces are falling into place.

7. George X

Today was also a Success for Sunday's SR shave. I used the exact same setup as yesterday and the results were a bit better. There might be some muscle memory taking place or there was more confidence and comfort with angle and grip. It just felt smoother

Redfisher likes this.
  8. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I started using jojoba oil before I shave and it has helped make a smooth shave. I usually coated my beard with it after a shower but thought I would try before shaving other day, and it seems to help. I just put it on and do my stropping and get the soap ready and have at it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

George X and Spyder like this.
  9. Redfisher

Everything went well today. A razor that had given me trouble honing was finally completed. The shave from the same razor was great. No tugging or pulling just a smooth 2 pass shave with some touch ups to my chin. I'm still at the stage where I'm completely amazed that I'm actually doing this successfully.
    Robeson ShurEdge.

IMG_1577.JPG

Keithmax, leitmotiv, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  10. Redfisher

Probably a little of both going on. Good job!

Spyder likes this.
  11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I did about 6 attempts with straight shaving over the holidays. The results were mixed. I got a bad scrape just below my jaw that annoyed me and burned pretty badly. But I was finally able to do my whole upper face with no cuts or irritation after those six attempts. My neck is a different story. I was borrowing a set from another generous member but then chose a straight as my prize for the TSD raffle. That razor (Dubl Duck Satinedge) is off getting a little touch-up on the stones. I need a strop and am looking at one of Adam's at Drygulch Leatherworks.

All of that to say that I tried straight shaving and it's interesting and alluring enough for me to continue trying it once I get my equipment back. I plan to go SLOW and not push it. Maybe just working on my upper face before tackling my neck. Or shaving the first pass with an injector and then doing clean-up with the straight. Some scenarios such as that can help me get the feel without committing major errors.

I'll continue to watch this thread!

Keithmax, Jim99, George X and 3 others like this.
  12. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

Keep at it, it will come together for you. Neck seemed to take more time, just to figure out the directions and holds you need to get a good shave. As far as strops go, buy a Drygulch with confidence. I have a Horween horsehide, and it's great. He's good to deal with and it's high quality stuff.

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Since you are having issues, all over, I would suggest you get the hang of SR shaving, a little at a time. Just do you cheeks, and possibly use less pressure and a shallower shave angle. If done correctly, your skin should feel better, than with other types of razors. Also, just work on WTG and XTG strokes, only.

Keithmax, Spyder, Redfisher and 2 others like this.
  14. leitmotiv

leitmotiv Well-Known Member

A bit late following up... :)

For clarity, I wasn't referring to the value of new and old SRs, but rather the multi-blade cartridge beasts. ;)

Redfisher and markchippy like this.
  15. leitmotiv

leitmotiv Well-Known Member

Sunday I think I hit the over-confidence bump. I was shaving away with my Blue Steel SR, feeling confident and invincible and gave myself a nice little 1/8" slice on my cheekbone. I realized what had happened the moment the razor felt different. A little styptic penciling and all was good.

Not to self: Slow down, you're not that good yet...

Aside from that little bump during an other wise great shave, this SR is really working out well. It seems to cut better than the first two razors and gives nice audible feedback as it tears the hair from my face. Still getting some mild razor burn, but that seems to be getting better slowly. On thing I keep noticing is that shaving certain areas seems to be less productive than others. A narrow strip from right under my chin and the border line of my whiskers near the base of my neck are particularly difficult to get clean. It doesn't seem to be angle or ability to use the razor in those areas, they just seem to be stubborn and I have to go over them more than other places just to get a presentable shave.

On another note, I just got a couple new SRs that I am excited to try out after I finish with the focus on the current one: JA Henckels Friodur and Genco Easy Aces, both in pretty nice condition. I'll post pictures when I have a chance to take some.

twhite, Keithmax, Redfisher and 3 others like this.
  16. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

Im a new member and have put up my photo of my straight razor and a few products ive started with. Thankfully i haven't cut myself badly as of yet.. its now been about 3 weeks with my new straight razor. And im loving the experience I'm getting better everytime. I now can shave against the grain on the 3rd pass. Im no way fast at it. Takes me about an hour to complete. lol I love my straight razor. And i enjoy every minute of it. And strangely enough it relaxes me. I feel grate & my mrs is loving all the smells of my shaving products after i come in from a dirty job doing carpentry. As for those crapy 5 bladed throwaway razors ive tossed the lot. I still have alot to learn but the experienced guys have been great on here they have answered all my questions. I wish i took this up yrs ago. Instead of spending and throwing money down the drain on plastic razors Now i wondering what i can buy next lol.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

twhite, Keithmax, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  17. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

[​IMG]

ninjack, twhite, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  18. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

[​IMG]

ninjack, twhite, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Good news. Straight razors will warn you before they cut you. Bad news, you missed it. Also bad news, you will probably miss it again. Usually, before I get a cut, I can feel a slight sting. If my pressure is light, and my face isn't numb from menthol, I can back off at that point, and avoid the actual cut. It's the bark before the bite. It takes several bloody tries to get the hang of it, but if you feel a slight sting, try backing off.

20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Excellent point. I've also learned ( the hard way) that sometimes the blade will "catch ". If you immediately back off, you can avoid a cut. On the other hand. if you press on you're in for some blood:$