New Here.

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by VintageModMan, Mar 6, 2017.

1. VintageModMan

VintageModMan Active Member

My name is Michael and I have a shaving problem. I can't for the life of me find a modern shaving instrument I desire. Disposable suck, premium cartridges suck. Electric shavers suck. So now I'm hear. A few years ago I found 2 straights at a flea market. One being an almost new looking shettfield. I had wanted to get them honed and never did instead I lost both of them in a move. Great.

So I'm again on the hunt and will follow through this time. I have looked high and low and our local flee markets and antique shops are bone dry of razors. Where else should I look? I need answers! I need justice....well maybe not but I want a good shave for Pete's sake.

Who's with me "I", "I", "Me, back here!" "Shut up Tom no one cares".

Just kidding seriously though guys I need a hand here.

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Welcome. Look on eBay, Amazon, Facebook pages (wet shaver enablers and wet shaver secret society), reddit under shave bazaar, and multiple shaving forums across the internet.

Look for safety razors
    Vintage: Gillette Fatboy, Gillette slim, Gillette tech, hoffritz slant

Modern: blackland Blackbird razor, timeless razor, charcoal goods razor, razorock razors

Straights:
    Vintage: wostenholm, wade and butcher, Ralf aust, greaves and sons

Modern: dovo, thiers-issard, Hart steel

There ya go.

Welcome!

Oh yea...."The Shave Den" is the best place for shaving information

BamaT, VintageModMan and wristwatchb like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard! I have the same issue in my area. Antique shops etc. seem to be totally barren of vintage razors. However, I got a start on the bay and have since traded and bargained into some pretty nice gear. You'll find a lot of people here that can help and hey - anyone who rejects the entire modern razor craziness in favor of vintage - well, that's my kind of people!!

BamaT, brit and VintageModMan like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shaving Den. There are several places to find razors online, although it can take a while to find something good at a reasonable price.

Sent via mobile - Chris

VintageModMan likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yo! Welcome to the shave den.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi, nice to meet you.

Modern shaving tools that work.... check out Koraat straight razors, Portland Razor for artesan straight razors and Dovo for modern production straight razors. The best of new and old technology ;)

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.
    Your problem is solved as easy as going to Your local Wal-Mart. Find a Micro Touch One razor. It's the old butterfly door type of razor. Or, many grocery stores have the Vanherhagen razors, with blades, same as the Micro Touch One. Test one of these out and see how your face likes them, they will give you good shaves. . Then you can check back with us, and see if you want to try other, better built razors, and different blades.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

My advice would be a sight unseen razor from whipped dog. That way you'll know it will be serviceable and sharp. Get a strop as well.
    Be warned straight razor shaving is not a plug and play situation. So time, effort, and maybe some bloodshed may be required to learn this.

markjnewcomb and VintageModMan like this.
  12. VintageModMan

I'm totally willing! Thank you everyone for the warm invite! Is there a classified section here? I didn't see one. I have heard a lot of good things about Larry at whippeddog but I have also heard that there had been some disappointment about the brands of razors distributed. I would love to know what kind of stuff he sends out I'm sure its a little random. However I told my wife a little over 50 for a honed razor and a strop kit was a good deal. Honing normally cost about 30 out the door right?

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @VintageModMan.

I hope you enjoy it here.

You can find many good straights on ebay and of course MANY crappy ones also, so you need to research them both(razor and seller) carefully and be very patient. That said I tend to agree with @david of central florida. Getting a decent and truly "shave ready" straight is very important for your first try at straight shaving, so hooking up with someone like gssixgun, whippeddog or HolyRollah could be a much better, more satisfying and in the long run I feel cheaper way to go. You'll also need a good strop and learn how to strop a straight properly.:)

Full disclosure I can't shave comfortably or happily with a straight at all..:happy097: You might want to look into a vintage or modern DE, SE or injector. They also give great shaves and you only need to change the blades.

One last thing straight razors and shavettes, while they look and work the same way, are two different animals. However with patience and practice either can give you a wonderful shave.

:signs046: to the world of "traditional" shaving..:)

RetLEO-07 and VintageModMan like this.
  14. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

If you want to try a straight, Whipped Dog is hard to beat for getting your gear. I, however, advocate that you get a sight unseen flawed razor. They are a little cheaper and work just as well. The "flaw" in the razor will not affect shaveability. Add a poor man strop kit and you are in business.

And, yes, straights take practice, but mere mortals are able to shave with a straight.

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

16. VintageModMan

I've seen this a lot, from many people. Now I just need to convince my wife. Haha.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome to TSD Michael! If anyone can set you on the right path to shaving nirvana it's this crew of scallawags! Enjoy the ride!

18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011: :happy088:

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Welcome to TSD-a great place to learn and have fun doing so.

20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello Michael, and welcome!