New Here.

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by VintageModMan, Mar 6, 2017.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Hey Micheal! I infer that you're beard maybe on the course side. In that event , if you decide to go with a DE as opposed to a straight, you will want something more aggressive than a Gillette.(I did. And pretty quick.) I found a Gem-Mcromatic Open Comb was the ticket. You can find a good one on eBay for $8-14. They use Gem style single edge blades and don't require anymore maintenance than a DE. (Some like'em, some don't, but it's worth a shot).

Welcome, from AL!

VintageModMan likes this.
  2. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

4. VintageModMan

VintageModMan Active Member

It is a little on the course side. Always has been thick.

MR41 likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome from b.c. canada.another convert from carts.vintage gillettes for me,so far...found most of mine on ebay for decent prices.

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den! You'll find lots of friendly people here with tons of knowledge.

7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Welcome. I couldn't offer anything better than all the great advice you're getting.
    As an aside, this is a great place and I hope you enjoy the experience.

8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Welcome to TSD! Hit the antique stores...you never know what treasures you will find.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm glad that you have joined us.
    zwelcome1.jpg

10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome Michael @VintageModMan! Don't forget to sign up for
    the March 2017 Newbie Giveaway! There are a couple qualifications, read the rules.

I'm a antique/ thrift store, estate sale, & flea market shopper. There are bargains to be found out there. Many shops keep a "Wanted List" where you can leave your name and number. Visit often enough and you'll become that razor guy to the folks around town.

On the subject of Whipped Dog sight unseen razors - I own two. Not brand name, or fancy, but they did arrive truly shave ready. Larry's not a member here at TSD as far as I know. You can have a conversation with him through E-Mail if you have questions. I did.

Look for The Market Place to find the buy/sell/trade area. We do have a bunch of great members here that restore, repair & hone straights. If you are unsure about making a purchase, Peer Review is an honest feedback system. Ask around. ;)

VintageModMan and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

If you're interested in learning a straight, that's awesome, but if you're looking for a simpler, even daily solution a Gem style single edge might be the ticket. The open comb variety will give you the largest range- meaning you can shave daily or if you go a week and don't shave it can easily handle it. The single edge blades are a good bit stiffer which helps with thick or coarse growth. There are several modern single edge razors available now, but they all have a much higher price tag. The best thing is, the Gem razors and blades can be had cheaply enough that if you don't like it, you're out less than $20.

VintageModMan likes this.
  13. VintageModMan

VintageModMan Active Member

Well... last night I placed an order with a member here. So I will post my care package when I receive it in the mail!

MR41 and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

You tease us, Sir!
    Should you wish to give a hint you might post in "What are you waiting on to arrive...?" with a follow up photo in "The Haul".
    When your new hardware arrives consider joining the 30 Day Crew. They have cookies!

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Welcome and if you look closely in the classified section there happens to be a very nice straight for sale ;)

16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den!

17. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den amigo...... :D