New ikon Tech vs Muhle r41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Jun 17, 2017.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have seen videos and reviews saying the Ikon Tech is more aggressive than the r41. I know Ikon has a reputation for making a fine razor and my experience with an r41 was excellent. It was my favorite DE before I gave it to my son.

So has anyone used the Ikon Tech? Reviews? Opinions? Has anyone been able to compare it to the r41? What are the pros and cons of each? I'm eager to hear feedback!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Jorvaljr and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I use both, IMO there's no contest, the blade exposure of the Tech at all angles makes it much more aggressive than the R41. I think it is also considerably more efficient but I know there are some who disagree.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Jorvaljr and MR41 like this.
  3. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I've got both an Ikon Tech and both versions of the R41 (2011 and 2013). I find the Tech more aggressive (i.e., more tugging) than either of my R41s. The shave results are very similar--very close. The Tech and 2011 R41 are two of my favorite DEs, along with the Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb, PAA DOC Evolution in stainless, Timeless .95 open comb, Le Coq caged comb and ATT H2.

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have the tech and both R41 versions. The Tech and 2011 R41 are similar in aggressiveness but I give a slight edge to the 2011 R41. The feel very different with more blade chatter from the Tech. The Tech is allot more aggressive than the 2013 R41. If you like aggressive you will enjoy the Tech, the 2011 R41 is scarce and getting up there in price.

Here are some other very aggressive razors to consider even though they are not as aggressive as the Tech:
    DOC Evolutoin in stainless
    Futur
    Joris - Fatip
    ATT H plates

PickledNorthern and MR41 like this.
  5. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

The tech is like shaving with a razor on top of a stick. Its the most aggressive razor ive come across.

By a mile.

RaZorBurn123 and MR41 like this.
  6. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

This is intriguing. Do you guys prefer it to the R41?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

MR41 likes this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I found it more aggressive, but also more uncomfortable That, the light weight, and the touch of blade chatter led me to get rid of the Tech.

MR41 likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The iKon Tech is the most aggressive razor I've used, even more than the nighty R41. IMO. YMMV.

MR41 and theFAT98 like this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your feedback! @gwsmallwood - I appreciate you adding that, I wondered if it would be more uncomfortable.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Blade chatter on a DE razor is a deal-breaker for many.
    I suppose there's a level of aggressiveness with certain DE razors that takes the use of it beyond simply effectiveness and efficiency and make it merely uncomfortable. I now this is the case for many with the R41—particularly the 2011 version.
    For someone looking for a razor that is likely more aggressive than either Mühle R41s or the Ikon Tech (haven't tried it so I cant offer an opinion), one can do as I did: make the switch over to straights.
    No blade chatter and less blood-shed. ;)

11. Keithmax

I prefer the 2011 R41 because of the lack of blade chatter versus the tech. I also love aggressive razors so I followed Kevin's advice....

PickledNorthern, entropy1049 and MR41 like this.
  12. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

Kevin, I'm saving the straight experience for retirement, which is not far away. Did you start with a shavette, such as the Feather DX with an AC blade, or did you dive right in? I know we're a bit off topic, but the distance between an Ikon Tech/R41 2011 and a straight can't be too far, right?

Keithmax and MR41 like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

How you been? Ain't seen you around in a while.

MR41 likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I dove straight into the deep end, bypassing the shavette route. I know some are of the opinion the shavette provides a transitional step into SR shaving. In my own experience in having gone to SRs first- and trying shavettes later- I found shavettes less forgiving and having a different 'feel' when shaving. However the convenience of a shavette (no honing or stropping) certainly has advantages for those wanting to try something different from a DE razor.
    I started a thread here several years ago on my 'quest' for aggressive razors and after numerous pages of comments and aggressive DE razor discussions, it culminated with me deciding to go the 'straight' route. No turning back... :);)

Oh and to answer your last question: I've commented that the closest shave I've gotten comparable to a good SR shave is with the 2011 R41 with a feather blade.

15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Still here, just been a busy season.

gorgo2, Keithmax and MR41 like this.
  16. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

Interesting thanks. I am R41 Bulldog everyday. Amazing shaves. No Rad to speak of but when someone says they have something more aggressive than an R41 my ears perk up. Straights aren't of interest yet but maybe eventually

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

For me the Tech is efficient enough (the "blade guard" is really a joke) that two passes WTG/XTG get close enough to BBS on my face that blade chatter is not really an issue. It only really comes into play going ATG on my head, and I like other aggressive razors for my head shave -- Pearl, (Jaws), SABI (Mastiff), Shake Sharp, 1924, MMOC, all of which I also prefer to the R41.

And FWIW I think straights are much easier to handle than the Tech.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    PickledNorthern and Keithmax like this.
  18. Keithmax

Me too.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  19. Grick

Grick Active Member

What do you mean by "blade chatter"?

20. steelheart1948

steelheart1948 New Member

I own them both and I like them both. If we use an aggression scale of 1 t0 10, with 10 being the most aggressive (I'm only rating D.E. razors here), the Ikon is a 10 and the Muhle is a 9. Both are comfortable to hold and easy to maneuver under the nose. For me personally, the Muhle is slightly smoother. I can get BBS shaves with either one of these razors.