New ikon Tech vs Muhle r41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Jun 17, 2017.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the feedback, I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Ikon.

2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I like R41 2013 (I have not tried 2011). After great success with iKon X3 and 102, I considered to get Tech also. However, the blade shatter many tell about was deal breaker for me. I want my blade to be stable.

MR41 likes this.
  3. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Engblom if you really want a stable blade throughout your whole shave, go and grab a straight razor I'm sure Sweeney Todd would love to watch you holding a straight razor of death
    [​IMG]

4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I would be able to shave with a straight (been trying a shavette), but I do not want the extra work with maintaining the edge. Also, the handle of a DE is so much more comfortable than holding a straight.

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

You can feel the blade flexing, I find the 2011 R41 has the blade clamped down while I can feel the blade flex a little bit in the Ikon Tech.

6. Grick

Grick Active Member

So I've had a few smooth shaves with a Futur at 6 loaded with a Feather. From 1 to 10, how aggressive is it compared to the Ikon?

MR41 likes this.
  7. steelheart1948

steelheart1948 New Member

The Future on a setting of 6, is just as efficient as the Muhle and the Ikon, but I find it to be smoother than either one of them. These 3 razors are my favorites, with the Futur being first, the Muhle a close second and the Ikon a close third.

8. jon radin

jon radin Member

Since the last post the Timeless Bronze .78 OC has arrived, and the Charcoal Level 3 ( I think that is also new ) both are as aggressive as the Ikon Tech IMHO. FWIW rating only the razors I have from most aggressive to less so, based on blade feel, closeness of shave, amount of blood shed.
    What do others think about this ranking ?

Tied for first:
    Ikon Tech
    Charcoal Level 3
    Timeless Bronze .78 OC
    Second Place
    Merkur Futur wide open
    Third Place
    R41 (2014)
    Fourth Place
    Merkur Progress wide open
    Fifth Place Tie
    Gillette slim/Fatboy wide open
    Sixth Place
    Timeless .95 OC ( SS or Titanium )
    Seventh Place
    Rockwell 6 S or C - R6 plate

Jorvaljr and SpeedyPC like this.
  9. SFTrooper

SFTrooper Active Member

My daily driver for the past 2-3 years has been the Muhle R41(2013). I can get a DFS in one pass with a clean up, however; I normally choose to shave less aggressively by riding the cap and maintaining a very shallow angle which requires 2-3 passes to get a DFS to BBS shave. Aggressive razors do not necessarily have to feel aggressive depending on the blade angle. Occasionally, I shave in a hurry due to unforeseen circumstances and open up the angle a bit and learn to regret it with a good rash.

Herm2502 likes this.