JUNE 2015 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, May 29, 2015.

?

Should you also post to SOTD, even while doing a Rule or Focus?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2015.
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. Yes

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's nuts how the Weishi gets no love. It's a good razor.

spacehobo, txskimo, Rufus T. and 2 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I agree. It's also my first DE razor. I picked it up at Target along with an extra pack of blades (which I still have) and my addiction was born! It is a mild razor but hey, paired with the right blade a mild razor can perform very well. The Weishi is proof of that.

3. Bama Samurai

We started the same way.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Sunday's shave.... not as good as Saturdays. As usual passes 1 and 2 felt excellent but on pass 3 due to operator error there was blood. On my chin I made the mistake twice starting with too steep an angle and gave myself two cuts. I also nicked my chin. In the end a little more irritation than yesterday but my 2nd DFS.

Nivea cream for prep
    Super lather: AoS tallow and Castle Forbes Lime
    Simpson Polo 8 super badger
    Ralph Aust 5/8
    Harold Russian leather strop
    Alum block to keep my fingers dry
    Speick AS
    L'Occitane Cade ASB
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur EDT
    IMG_1577.JPG

5. Bama Samurai

No good about the chin! Very cool looking black razor, and cool brush handle. Could you post a tighter shot of the brush sometime?

Seabs likes this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpg

Cold water shave focus day 14:

Homemade PS Oil
    Vie-long Horsehair Brush
    Stirling Glacial Spearmint
    Gillette Ball End Tech
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Aqua Velva AS

I love the cold water and Glacial combination. It is a face freezer. Aqua Velva to top it off. Have a great Sunday!

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

06/14/2015
    Razor – ATT M2 with Triad Helix SS
    Blade – Feather (1)
    Brush – Shavemac Silvertip D01
    Lather – MWF a PIF from @SDK
    Post - Witch Hazel & Captain’s Choice Bay Rum

[​IMG]

Continuing my month of focusing on OC razors, the ATT M2 is up for this week. The M2 and the R2 are on loan from my best friend. I had a great 3 pass near BBS shave. The only area is just below my nose. The ATT head is just a little thicker than the New OC razors causing me to have a little more trouble maneuvering the razor. I'm sure I will get it figured out over the remainder of the week.

The MWF was a PIF from @SDK and provided a very slick lather. Finished up with a splash of CC Bay Rum.

8. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

That's weird about the LC. I'll have to check mine when I get home and see if there's any pat info on it. Tried it today and it was a good bit more aggressive than my other LC. Up there with a New Improved.

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

June 14

MdC facial soap
    Muhle R41 (2013)
    Feather blade (day 1)
    Omega Pro 98 boar brush
    D.R. Harris Almond shave cream
    Three passes
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

I had a good shave this morning with a bit of irritation since I went for three passes. Here are my recent finds fresh out of the Barbicide. I'm thinking about a vintage focus for July.

I hope you all have a great Sunday!

SOTD_061415.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  10. Cap7597

6/14/15 - A Month of Proraso!!!

Last day using Red. It's been a good one. Seems a little thinner than the green but slicker. Maybe a wee bit different formula. Over all a great week with the Red.

The 1930's LC New. I used to think the SC was less forgiving, but this LC is a good bit more aggressive. My other LC is a lot less Troy mentioned one of his is different too. I think I have 3 LC's, so might do a comparison this week and see what the differences are.

Proraso Red Soap
    Semogue Italian Barber LE
    Gillette New LC
    Pol-Silver Blade (1)
    Stetson Aftershave
    [​IMG]

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If the base plates are the same, many times it is a small difference in the width of the top cap that changes the aggression level.

Bama Samurai, Troy M and Cap7597 like this.
  12. Cap7597

Before I shaved this morning while putting the blade in, I did notice a difference in the bottom plate. After work I'll take some picks and see if there is a difference. Didn't know Gillette did that. Pretty interesting.
    It also could just be using a new blade. The first day is usually rough for me.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Charlie, that's quite a collection of razors. I think a vintage razor focus is a great idea.

14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'll try to get one later this week, it's the lighting in the morning is not conducive to a good pic.

Bleeding is part of the learning process, I'll remember not to do that again.

15. wristwatchb

Thank you, Clint. I appreciate the kind words and your suggestion regarding the vintage focus. I apologize that my original photo was unclear. I just posted a better photo. I have a birth quarter FB and a Slim for a good friend who just started wet shaving. I plan to keep a birth year FB, a birth quarter Slim (complete with case), and birth quarter Super Speeds for my Bride and sister. Not sure what I'll do with the three remaining Slims, but it's nice to have options. :) Somehow, I feel like should qualify for a @Darkbulb eBay certification. :happy097:

jakie55, Cap7597, txskimo and 3 others like this.
  16. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

June 14 - Shave 10
    Prep
    : Face washer
    Brush: Omega 48
    Preshave: Stirling Orange Chill Preshave oil
    Soap: Stirling Orange Chill Soap
    Razor: Lakeside round point 5/8 whipped dog special
    Growth: 2 day
    Passes: WTG, XTG, DE Clean up

Citrus Sunday? Went Orange Chill today - wanted to smell like orange today for my daughter! Couldn't remember if I had used this new to me razor yet so I passed on the stropping this morning (first mistake) - I noticed that the honing from person to person can vary - who knew? I have been getting a more comfortable shave from Glen's honing than my whipped dogs. First pass was a bit pulling but the XTG pass cleaned me up pretty good. I decided not to push the chase the bbs with the straight today and just get a dfs with the DE clean up. Looking forward to getting my new strop in from @Drygulch this week.
    rsz_2015-06-14_101936.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    spacehobo, jakie55, Cap7597 and 10 others like this.
  17. wristwatchb

Clint, I hope you and your lovely Bride had a terrific anniversary. Congratulations on 26 years!

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

World Tournament of Blades - Russia vs. the World!!
    June 14, 2015
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - Omega Pro 48
    Soap - Arko
    Razor - '59 Superspeed
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Post - Alum, Nivea Balm

Next round....the Treet Platinum is up first. A familiar blade from Pakistan it is a stainless steel blade from a manufacturer who continues to make a number of carbon blades. Since I had used this blade before (and since the Lord Platinum was HORRIBLE when I tried it), I substituted it in after making the bracket. I remember it as being a pretty good blade and a number of people use it regularly across the various forums.

Gear for the day - the 1959 Superspeed...yes I grabbed the right one this time....and Arko with the Pro 48. Shouldn't be a problem getting lather or a shave. And, as usual, the Arko and 48 produced a great lather in a hurry. Here we go. First pass was quite comfortable and effective. Blade is sharp but again not over the top sharp. Smooth feel to it and overall a very nice pass. Lathered up for the second pass and went XTG. Again good results, smooth feel, no real issues. Went for a final neck pass and found it comfortable even in a Gillette Slide. I did notice feeling some irritation by the time I finished. Result was a DFS. The alum, well it let me know that I had shaved. Like almost all Platinum blades this one left me a bit burned by the alum. Not the worst though.

Scoring - Sharpness I have to give it a 1. I know a lot of my blades have had a 1 but I'm not grading a 1 as Feather sharp, just a sharp enough blade to get a really good first pass and quick reduction on the second. This one has it. Smoothness, again a 1. Nice feel. Irritation...definitely some there so a 2. Can't ignore the alum. And result? DFS so a 2.

Total - 6. Not bad at all, but not in the top tier so far. Tomorrow we throw the USA into the fray with the Personna Lab Blue!

I wanted to end with a funny meme for Pakistan but found a problem. The same problem when I looked for one for Greece with the Bic. None of them are really funny. Either that or I don't know enough about the country to understand what is funny about them. So, I leave you with this........

[​IMG]

spacehobo, jakie55, Cap7597 and 7 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Charlie. We had a great anniversary.

Cap7597, Drygulch and wristwatchb like this.
  20. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

+++1!

Cap7597 and Bama Samurai like this.