New Long Comb Busted

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bscarpenter, Sep 14, 2016.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I didn't realized that the thread size was somewhat standard. I see lots of options for new handles, so I think I'll just get a new one.

Herm2502 likes this.
  2. Bill01

Bill01 New Member

Be careful. Some handles have too large a diameter at the end to fit the recessed diameter in the baseplate of the NEW LC. I tried a Maggards MR5 and it was too large. The threads would not bottom out against the baseplate and tighten the cap sufficiently to hold the blade tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. bscarpenter

That's what I was afraid of. I'll be sure to send a note asking about fitment before I buy anything. Does anyone know the thread size of the New head?

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I don't know the size, but the couple of Scotch & Stowe handles I have fit my New LC heads nicely.

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The threads are M5 x .8 but that isn't what @Bill01 is talking about. He is talking about the outer diameter of the top of the handle. For example the top of the Maggard MR5 is flared and doesn't allow it to seat properly on the small round flat spot on the bottom of the new head. From the Maggard website:

Handle Compatibility:
    The MR5 fits most Double edge razor heads that have flat spots at least 11mm wide. A few heads (Weber, Gillette NEW) have smaller areas available for flush mounting a handle Please keep this in mind when purchasing this item.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The top of the handle flares too much and wont seat against the base place because of the raised metal bars

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. bscarpenter

Wow. Nothing like a visual to clarify. Thanks @Linuxguile for taking the time to do that. Now for something really crazy. I have a terrible razor that my kids got me off Amazon for Father's Day. I think the brand is Schone. Anyhow, it has a long heavy handle with rough knurling. I took the handle off that razor and put it on the New. It fits. For grins I took the old New handle that feels stripped and it tightens right up on the Schone head. Oh well, I now have a long heave handle on the New. It does change the balance & weight of the razor, but I got a nice 3 pass DFS with that setup this morning.

7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Very nice! Glad it worked out!

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088:

clint64 likes this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'll leave this one to the experts, but I assume that the reason the New handle works on the Schone head could have to do with either the length of the cap thread (long enough on the Schone to catch good threads in the handle) or the Metric vs. English threading.

clint64 likes this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Most likely due to metric is slightly bigger (.8mm to .799mm ) than the inch is why it worked.

11. jimjo1031

Yep, I had to reduce the diameter of one of the handles where it screws on (neck) to make it fit better.

Linuxguile likes this.
  12. bscarpenter

I hate to ask because I know I won't want to put the effort into it, but how did you reduce the diameter?

13. jimjo1031

I used a file at first, then finished it off with sanding sponges to smooth it out. it didn't take long to do.

14. jimjo1031

IMG_0507.JPG In this pic, this handle I got from a Scotch & Stowe razor I hardly had to do any work, just minor sanding to make it fir. Another one I put together for a friend only needed three minutes to make it fit. Just depends on the base plate of the head and handle combination.

15. bscarpenter

looks really nice.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

That handle with razor head cost me less than $15.00 on Ebay from the seller I mentioned on an earlier message. US seller and free shipping

17. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

im curious as to who in the OPs house tried to use the razor? the description of the thread damage is from getting cross threaded when a threaded bolt or screw is screwed in wrong into a threaded hole.

18. jbaj007

jbaj007 Member

19. bscarpenter

It is really odd. The handle will work on another head and I was able to put another handle on the New head and snug it down. From what I was told, the razor was accidentally knocked off my sink onto the floor. I really doubt my wife was trying to use it.