New Old Stock Burma Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Knox, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I am now in the possession of a New Old Stock Burma shave gift set in a tin. Mug, brush (in plastic), and soap.

The soap was REALLY dry - almost to the point of crumbling. A little water and saran wrap it came back to life, somewhat.

So the question is - do I just keep the soap as a keep sake, knowing it will dry out and crumble eventually? Or do I enjoy shaving with it, and just have the soap box as part of the set for my display?

What would you do?

Granted, I didn't pay THAT much for it. About $22 off eBay (maybe someone on here sold it?)

Thanks for your input!

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I shave with mine. It is not that big of a deal as a soap. The original Burma Shave was brushless. This soap took the name after a buy out I think. It's not a bad soap but not like old spice or vintage Williams as far as keeping.

AGHisBBS, Yehuda D and RyX like this.
  3. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

That's what I thought - I was surprised it even HAD a brush and soap. All the old Burma ads I have seen were for brushless soap / cream.

Thanks for the input.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Now that it's hydrated give it a sniff. The tallow in vintage soap can go rancid. If it smells OK give it a go!
    I have enjoyed many lathers from a stick of vintage Williams soap. It was partially used, so I peeled back the foil wrapper and removed any signs of the unknown previous user.

5. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Really good shave from the puck, I must say. Not much scent left at all, if any.

(And, off topic, I am really liking my Williams Mug soap as well. I don't understand why people can't get a good shave from it - aside from maybe their water is too hard. )

Arko and Williams - Love them both. If Burma still made this, and it was as cheap as those 2 - I would add it to my rotation.

Sorry for the yellow picture - don't know what happened here:

[​IMG]

Simple and cheap Boar bristle brush and my trusty Blue Tip with Gillette Silver Blue Blades:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Jim99, wchnu, theFAT98 and 4 others like this.
  6. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My neighbor was saying the Burma soap was usable but not much better than that.

7. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I am not a lather guru at all - I spend maybe 30-45 seconds whipping it up no matter what I use. I was surprised how well it worked, especially with how dry it was when I opened it up the other day.

RyX and Yehuda D like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

That may be what "saved" the soap. Milled, triple milled, quintuple milled products have the moisture pressed out of them. It can aid in the longevity of a product. That's why vegetables, spices, & fish are dried and hams smoked. Less water means less bacterial and fungus growth. It also makes for a thirsty soap and that's a good thing. You are buying more product with less water.
    Hint; check ingredients between soap pucks and creams. Creams usually contain a preservative because of the added moisture.

Primotenore and wchnu like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Williams love is never off topic my good man. Check out Williams Wednesday, and the Shave With Williams Mug soap thread .:cool: If you would like to try a big ole Omega 49 boar let me know. I have one to PIF. It loves the soaps you love!
    It's great the Burma shave did you good. If you want a little scent put a few drops of your after shave of the day on the soap cake while you build ye ole lather.

Proceed along the path!!

RyX likes this.
  10. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Had no idea about those topics. I will definitely check them out. I pm'd you about the brush. Thanks! Coincidentally, I just got 5 new Williams pucks in today from eBay. I am set on soaps for about 2 years between those and my Arko sticks...

entropy1049, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome!! I will get the Omega 49 out Monday I hope.

Jim99 and RyX like this.
  12. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

back in the 90's I'd rotate between Williams, Colgate and Burma. They were all available. Colgate and Burma eventually disappeared.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have 7-8 cakes of colgate. Some mug soap some barbershop. The colgate is solid...very solid. I only have a few of burma shave. It's not a bad soap either. I think either of them are better soaps then old spice.