New razor decision

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dapper-in-a-can-man, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Hahahahahahaha that's perfect.

2. DudeShaving

DudeShaving Member

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Would you compare it to the '13 R41 like they did?

4. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I've never really heard anyone say it's just as good, but some with limited knowledge have made it out to be a material that disintegrates the second it touches water :bounce015:

I dropped my Ming Vase today and it broke ~ darn those inferior Chinese products :angry019:

5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I emailed Douglas Smythe directly asking if the heads were made of brass too and he said no- they were zinc. Only the handle is brass.

That was February 27th 2014. Unless things have changed...

DudeShaving likes this.
  6. DudeShaving

DudeShaving Member

I've only used the Symmetry once, so a comparison isn't thorough, but I would say that they are both aggressive razors that suit me well. I purchased the Symmetry as my travel razor - my Acquisition Disorder made me do it!!

Thanks for the clarification.
    In my limited research for a <$30 open comb travel razor (need from my Acquisition Disorder! Haha), I looked at the materials of razors and found that many had different metals for the head. In my first post on this thread, I simply quoted what was on HTGAM's product description.

I also looked at RazoRock's Jaws razor, which is another three-piece, open-comb, <$30 razor made with "chrome over brass".
    http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-jaws-three-piece-open-comb-double-edge-razor

A Parker 26C, a razor with the same criteria, was also in the running for my purchase as it was strongly endorsed by Mantic59 and LeisureGuy.

I purchased the Symmetry based on the amount of replies supporting the Symmetry in my Facebook posting on several shaving groups asking for opinions, and to support an American entrepreneur.

7. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

What a tragedy that darned "pot metal" is showing up everywhere :)

Slow Joe and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I wonder why its only Plisson/Fatip (As far as I know) still casting razor heads in brass. Can't be cost because look at the prices Fatip command, Plisson you can ignore price wise cause they plate Fatip heads with Palladium & Unicorn pee and charge a small fortune for them.

9. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I found this notice on facebook

MassDrop: Shavecraft 101 for as low as $64.99 shipped!

Although I have to admit I don't know if it is a good razor or a good price. What do you think?

10. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Many people LOVE SC101's.
    The price sounds fair. From what I've seen on here the 101 is on the mild side but gives a great shave.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I wonder what it will cost on August 1st?

Slow Joe and J_Man like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Mr. Shaverman and Slow Joe like this.
  13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Maybe it will be less in September.

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Hmmmmm 37C, Weber, R41, SC101... decisions decisions.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

All great choices. The R41 is as nice as they get. 37c is nice. Oh heck they're all nice.,good luck picking.

16. Dapper-in-a-can-man

I'm thinking of convincing my dad to buy a slant, I'll buy the R41.. and go from there :p

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hmmm…yes,….decisions, decisions
    You know the only razor that still remains in my collection is the Muhle. The one I miss the most, on the far left.
    [​IMG]