New Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shane M. Merrick, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Shane M. Merrick

Shane M. Merrick New Member

Good afternoon everyone. I am new to DE shaving and had some question. I have been using The Art of Shaving products with a fusion razor. I noticed a difference in smoothness and how long the shave seemed to last. I have recently bought a mico touch safety razor from walmat just to try it out. The first shave didn't seem as smoth and the blade felt dull. I know I have to get use to holding the razor at a differnt angle but is there a better way, such as a different blade, or shave cream or even a better not so expensive razor?

Thank You,

Shane

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Glad that you landed here at TSD, Shane. I'm sure you will fit right in. Check in at the Newbie forum for a proper welcome. There are much better blades than the ones that come with the micro touch razor, but you can still get a good shave with them. Prep your face to soften your beard, use a good soap or cream, and use light pressure for two or three passes. The object is beard reduction, not annihilation. You don't want cuts, nicks or irritation. However, as you are a newbie, you may have to endure some of that as you learn the proper techniques.

Join us on The Shave of the Day thread. It is fun, and you will see all kinds of products.
    And please Mark YOUR location on the TSD map:) - instructions here.

RaZorBurn123, clint64 and PatrickA51 like this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A warm welcome to you from North Texas. You might want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day systems and more on shaving hardware and software.

With that being said ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Jim99, RaZorBurn123, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hi Shane, I'd suggest you get a blade sample pack. You can pick up a wide variety at tryablade get customer service. Welcome to the den!

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to TSD!

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hello and welcome
    the blade is where the rubber meets the road. finding a blade that you like and likes you is a very personal preference kind of thing. a blade sampler is a good idea.
    one thing I would note. learning a new skill requires patients.
    you can check out the items a lot of guys use on the shave of the day threads.
    good luck, and stick with it.

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The razor is ok actually, you need a blade sampler!

Jim99, RaZorBurn123 and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I second the suggestion of a blade sampler. Different blades act differently in different razors.

RaZorBurn123 and clint64 like this.
  11. hrfdez

hrfdez Active Member

I third the suggestion of a blade sampler. That micro with a good blade will give you a good feedback, specially before going on buying something more expensive.

Hopefully it will be a glorious experience!:)

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Shane"

While the Micro Touch isn't a particularly well made razor, as it is a Gillette SuperSpeed clone, it should work well enough to learn with.
    First thing I would suggest is getting a large sample pack of blades. The more different blades you can try the better, inorder to find the BEST blade for your face, with a particular safety razor. Van der Hagan "Delux" is an inexpensive, easy to find and easy to lather shave soap. You can buy a nice VDH little shave kit(bowl, brush and puck of soap) locally. There are several TTO type safety razors you can try. One I own, have used, found to work well and is fairly inexpensive is the Feather Popular. For things like safety razors you need to find the one that works best for you, neither the cheapest or the most expensive is necessarily the best for your face it is a case of YMMV. Time, technique, patience and practice are key to a great shave. Hope this gives you some help.:)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Jim99, RaZorBurn123, hrfdez and 2 others like this.
  14. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

:signs011:

15. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

I'll piggy back off what's been said. The micro touch one is not a bad razor. Go to the various shaving suppliers and get a blade sampler for about $15. I've had a great experience with West Coast Shaving. Maggard is also a popular site. TryABlade sells individual blades to try, but I suggest trying a blade, then going back to it after you've tried a few more. Often times, the second it third try gives you a completely different result as you technique improves.

Welcome to traditional wet shaving! I started not too long ago and love the results.

Jim99 likes this.
  16. Shane M. Merrick

Shane M. Merrick New Member

Thanks everyone for recommendations. I will try the variety pack.

PLANofMAN likes this.