New Rockwell 6S ....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LuvWetShavin, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I saw one on eBay yesterday. I was trying to figure if the seller was selling the v-2 or the v-1

2. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Just checked - the one I see on eBay is definitely a version 1

3. Jorvaljr

That's what I figured

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Good to hear I wasn't too far off in my take on the base plates :)

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  5. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I made this pic to show you how to tell the difference in the baseplates ...
    pixlr_20160220154558813.jpg

Jorvaljr and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Thank you.

LuvWetShavin and Robyflexx like this.
  7. rodzilla1126

rodzilla1126 Member

[​IMG]

Just got mine in the mail today!. Will be my SOTD tomorrow.

8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Your going to love the razor, I still cant get over it that the razor is not machined but yet very close to machining perfection, whatever that molding is that they use its awesome, its all stainless steel, adjustable from as mild as Feather ASD2 to the Merkur Futur #3/#4 setting. I still am giggling of the fact that this razor cost $80

Edit: BTW you will love the blades, I think they are a tad bit sharper and tad bit smoother than the Personna blues, so that says a lot considering they cost $10 for 100 pack.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. rodzilla1126

rodzilla1126 Member

Which setting do you use?

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I've tried all the settings, depending on the blade. If I use Feathers the best setting is either 1 or 2, but I have shaved with Feathers on 6 but very little confidence. If I had to choose I would say low end sharp blades ( Derby and comparables) plate 4 and 5 max, medium sharp blades (Shark,Astra,Personna and other comparables) plate 3 and 4 max, extra sharp blades ( Feathers, Voshkods and comparables) plate 1 to 2 max for Feathers, Voshkod can do 2 to 3 max cause they are much smoother and give good feedback.

But best would be for you to test it out your self, go ahead shave with it and you will understand how good this razor is no matter what blade you use with it and that's because of its adjustablity.

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It really is a good razor. My second one arrived in the mail today. I am not a collector/gatherer or razors; this is the only razor I have ever bought two identicals of. That in itself is more of an endorsement than anything I could say about it.

I intend to give this one to my son, but if he keeps it, I will likely order a third. I work away from home a lot. Where else could I have six quality razors packed into a dopp?

blashe and Robyflexx like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

I tried one of the blades for the first time last night. 5 plate. They were mild and relatively smooth. I would call them comparable in feel to a Voskhod, or maybe a Rapira. Too soon to tell for sure, but at $20 a hundred, I'm guessing I will stick with my usual favorites.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Still waiting for my replacement.......an original backer and kinda disappointed that new orders are going out before backers. I understand they need to generate income by making new sales, but still disappointed the original backers are left waiting....

14. PickledNorthern

That is kind of BS, I agree. I would think that by now, they HAD to have a cash infusion in order to keep the lights on, but that doesn't make it any easier of a pill to swallow.

FWIW, I got my first one from a BST, so it isn't like I have ordered and received multiples.

dbersh and Robyflexx like this.
  15. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I have no issues at all with the folks who have received theirs, or multiples by new orders. I'm just disappointed in the process that those of us who made the company possible by backing them in the beginning have to wait.
    I can only assume they are doing their best to satisfy everyone. It comes down to knowing the chance one takes on Kickstarter. I will say I will never back a Kickstarter campaign again, if I would have waited and ordered the new release, I would already have the razor it appears.

16. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Agree and I understand, but none the less you will eventually get the new razor and sell the old one. Win win situation with waiting time behind it

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. PickledNorthern

Still a tough pill. I don't know how long you have been following the saga; a ton of these original backers have been so stalwart and supportive, while losers like me ripped on the thing the whole time. Now I have mine, while people who stayed supportive are rightly feeling a bit hung out to dry.

There is a guy on B and B who has been so positive, so "buck up campers, Gareth will come through", for so long, and he is STILL sitting there without his. Gareth should send him a personally engraved model for how supportive he has been.

Anyway, I understand they are working hard to keep a business afloat, and I understand that sometimes "Step on to Step Up" is the nature of the beast, but I hope he does a little something for these original backers when he gets caught up.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. rodzilla1126

rodzilla1126 Member

Thanks for the information Blashe. I tried the Rockwell blade on setting 3 but feel Ivan go up to a 4 next time.

19. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I agree what you saying, one thing I learned in life is not to stress out over things that will take time to get resolved or not resolved at all. I have people owing me in the thousands.... I wish it was only $60 like the backers lol

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This was issued by Rockwell today - it's a bit long but might be interesting to those that are waiting on their razor and/or just interested:

[​IMG]
    Together, we did it!
    Dear Rockwell Customers and Insiders,

We are very excited to announce that as of this week, all Rockwell 6S pre-orders and Kickstarter free upgrade razors have passed QC have been packed and are being shipped out now. We wanted to take this chance to thank you all for your ongoing support, and we hope you all love your complimentary upgraded razor - we think early adopters deserve special treatment, and we're thrilled that we've been able to deliver on our promise to all of you! If you haven’t received your shipping notification just yet, don’t fret! We're working through all the remaining shipments in the next week - for those shipments headed overseas your orders are being prepared for a bulk overseas shipment (which may take up to 10 days), then your package will be on its way and at that point you will receive a shipping notification!

It’s been quite a journey, and we were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to reflect on the full story of the Rockwell 6S with the Wet Shaving News, powered by Sharpologist. Andrew and all the folks over at Sharpologist have done an incredible job on this podcast - if you’re going to listen to any piece of audio content this week, we strongly recommend this episode.

You might also check out the review of the new Rockwell 6S razor on Sharpologist including feedback from revered shave expert and author of Michael “LeisureGuy” Ham.

[​IMG]

In other exciting new, after the incredibly positive feedback on the Rockwell Blades, we’re excited to now be offering 100-Packs of Rockwell Blades on our site for just $9.99 - with free North American shipping! In an era where many other companies are looking to lock people into monthly subscriptions for cartridges, we’re really excited to offer you our Swedish Stainless Steel Razor Blades for 10 cents a blade! That's about two years worth of shaves for $10.

[​IMG]

Finally, now that all the pre-orders and free upgrade Rockwell 6S’s have been shipped out, we’re able to flip over to regular orders! Any new orders placed through rockwellrazors.com will ship out within 2 business days. It’s important to note that in order to better reflect the final total costs of manufacturing the Rockwell 6S, the price of the Rockwell 6S will be increasing from $79.99 to $99.99 on the morning of Saturday March 12th. This price still reflects an incredible value for a adjustable all stainless steel razor and will allow us to continue to maintain the highest quality standards in the on-going production of the Rockwell 6S. Of course we owe you our backers and supporters a huge debt of gratitude and so wanted to make this price change public to you can share the information with friends or get an extra Rockwell 6S yourself before March 12th. If you know anyone who you think would benefit from the customizable shave of a Rockwell 6S, point them our way! Also, friendly reminder: Father’s Day is only about three months away - it’s never too early to get a head start on gift preparation.

Overall we see the Rockwell 6S as just the first chapter in the story of Rockwell Razors. We’re actively working on new products we think you’ll find very exciting - expect to hear about them in the coming weeks. We can’t wait for your feedback and support on these new projects - we’re looking forward to the journey ahead.

AGHisBBS and blashe like this.