New Scales for Lee Mfg. Razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jayaruh, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got this Lee Mfg. razor in a trade. It came without scales, so I ordered these from Maggard Razor. In the first picture, I have drilled the pivot hole and laid out my supplies.

Lee_mfg_05.JPG
    Here I have finished pinning the razor.
    Lee_mfg_09.JPG

Lee_mfg_11.JPG

Lee_mfg_13.JPG

Lee_mfg_14.JPG
    This will be the fifth razor for my seven-day case.
    Lee_mfg_15.JPG

Karl G, COMPNOR, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Karl G, Kizurra, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you, very covfefe.

4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The prices on the maggards scale are great. Looks like really nice quality as well. Thanks for sharing:)

5. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Looks Great !

Karl G, Kizurra and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you, @M14Shooter. I am pleased with the way it turned out.
    Hey, we're the same age. I was an M-14 shooter back in 1967. Although I never had the opportunity to shoot it again after basic, it was the weapon I carried for guard duty in Vietnam.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Karl G, COMPNOR, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  7. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Any time you are the Boston area .Please look me up .I have several M14/M1A That you take out for a spin on the range.I bet you Lee Razor will take a keen edge .

Karl G, Bookworm, Kizurra and 3 others like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks for the offer. I have only give it a run on some chromium oxide and then much stropping. It is ok, but I think it could use a master honer. I like it though. It is definitely a keeper. It is my fifth straight: I'm shooting for just seven. I have some others that need work, and I may pull out one this week and try to clean it up. Then I will have to get it sharp again. I have not gotten into honing. I doubt I will. $$$

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice job. The razor looks great Jim.

Karl G, Kizurra and Jayaruh like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks.

Karl G, Kizurra and mrchick like this.
  11. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Just for the record...

The scales look great.
    Good job!

But I've got less than $100 invested in 3 bench sized Arkansas stones including silicone carbide powders to lap them with. My black Arkansas stone being the most expensive. (And the largest at 8x3). The others are 8x2.

Where the bench sized water stones are expensive but very fast, the arkies tend to be inexpensive, slow, but produce better quality edges.
    (Which is why I have them)

A jeweler's loupe isn't expensive either. Maybe $15...for an overpriced one.

Some of the guys who sharpen professionally have grinding wheels with buffing wheels and compounds. (That I've seen) some use the waterstones instead.

Either way it isn't necessary for anyone to go through that expense $500+ from my experience.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

John brings up some good points. There is some investment (both in time and materials) to be made in learning to hone, but like anything else related to wet shaving, the rabbit hole is only as deep as one allows it to be. One can successfully hone with the absolute minimum equipment and investment and still get quality results — in much the same way one can get a great shave everyday from keeping ONE razor, ONE brush, and ONE soap in the arsenal...but where's the fun in that? :D

Karl G, Spyder, JohnDB and 5 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Karl G, Spyder, Kizurra and 1 other person like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Honing with lapping film is both enexpensive and effective. Just throwing it out there...

Karl G and Bookworm like this.