New SE razor from RazoRock

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 15, 2015.

1. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a bad thing. Most razor designs these days are not novel and can't be protected in a proprietary fashion. If you can do what someone else does for cheaper, than great.

As for the prototype thing, I am also fine with this. IB is completely forthright about this. You know what you're getting. Also, he is not forcing anyone to buy these. As is generally the case, the free market determines the demand for such things. I have to say, his prototypes are pretty freakin' awesome. I own RRKS and RRBS. Fantastic razors that are in my regular rotation. They don't look much like prototypes to me.

That being said, I will not be buying the SE as I have not embarked on that journey ... Yet :)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh I agree, I don't think it's a bad idea at all and if you can get away with it all the power to you! :)

3. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Thanks, it would just be nice to be able to get some information on a product before parting with quite a bit of cash.

4. Slow Joe

I don't know that this will ever be sold. I was lurking on a Facebook group which some of the mongoose guys are members, they said they'll be contacting their lawyers, as to them part of the head looks like a direct copy of their Mongoose.

Chuck F, Darkbulb and JR Reyes like this.
  5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

my guess is Profit Margin...

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

But how does making a razor for a larger, less common blade improve on the bottom line?

7. Slow Joe

Well you could invest loads of money inventing a SE razor that uses gem blades and have people say, it's no better than the old razors or complain the price is too high compared to what you can buy easily on e bay.
    Or you can make a razor for the feather blade where compitition is minimal, and cheap alternatives don't exist.

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That actually does, in a twisted kind of way, make sense :)

Slow Joe likes this.
  9. Slow Joe

I don't agree that copying someone else's design is good. Just think of all the time that went into the development of the mongoose razor. There was probably a sizable financial commitment involved which would have to be recovered.
    With that in mind it just seems wrong for someone to come along and copy the design. Of course they can sell it cheaper,they didn't have to pay anything to research or develop it.

clint64 and Darkbulb like this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, looking at Joe's other business dealings and how he has acted on the past on social media I don't expect anything less than him copying a design :)
    Let's just say I've personally written off Razorock a long time ago as a vendor I'll give any money.
    Hopefully not-needed 'disclaimer': The above highly personal and to each his/her own.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Chuck F, clint64 and Slow Joe like this.
  11. VedderLG

Fair enough. However, if you have something novel and proprietary, you need to protect it with patents etc. If you don't do this, competitors can copy it all they want. I don't know enough about the Mongoose to know how novel it is etc and to what degree they protected their intellectual property. If they are protected properly, then you get your lawyers out. If you don't protect your property, you have left yourself open.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    clint64 likes this.
  12. VedderLG

Double post

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

So the makers / sellers can make a lot of money off the blades.

I want to see a remake of the Schick F type (exact replica no changes)!

clint64 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

It would be nice to see a remake of Schick Type razors. Really don't see that happening though given the size of production runs needed to bring the costs down to a reasonable level. As to the costs of blades, I've found they are comparable to the Chinese Schick blades.

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Joe does bring a good product that the common shaver can afford, let's face it, everything after the first razor, car, tv etc.. has been copied and improved. I'll buy one! Heck yes!

VedderLG, clint64 and GDCarrington like this.
  16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011:

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

So now he is using a DC trademark character and lifted machsabre's logo design on Deviantart.
    Nice job Joe. Lazy much?

19. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

20. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

The Hawk is live on IB's site. Anyone else picking one up?