New shaving regimen

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Michelangelo, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Active Member

Day 46 of shave journal (11 Aug 2013):
    Had no time to shave this morning so I'll just wait until tomorrow.

2. Michelangelo

Day 47 of shave journal (12 Aug 2013):
    Preshave: Quick face wash in the shower plus a hot rinse. 50/50 mix of castor and olive oils, peppermint fragrance.
    Gear: Edwin Jagger DE86, Astra SP (3rd use), Whipped Dog silvertip, Arko shave stick.
    Lather: 30/120 second load/face lather, 30 second lather with each additional pass, 1 additional load required with the shave stick.
    Shave: 3 passes: WTG, XTG1, XTG2, ATG, plus a cold rinse.
    Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer.
    Summary: No irritation.
    Verdict: The Arko shave stick has a pleasant smell to it, but I'll have to get used to it. I haven't grated it into my soap bowl yet so I just applied it directly to my face and then lathered. My skin feels good after today's shave, and I can't feel very much stubble.

3. Michelangelo

Day 48 of shave journal (13 Aug 2013):

Preshave: Quick face wash in the shower plus a hot rinse. 50/50 mix of castor and olive oils, peppermint fragrance.
    Gear: Edwin Jagger DE86, Astra SP (4th use), Whipped Dog silvertip, Arko shave stick.
    Lather: 30/120 second load/face lather, 30 second lather with each additional pass, no additional load required
    Shave: 3 passes: WTG, XTG1, XTG2, plus a cold rinse.

Verdict: Arko is a lather beast! Not too bad a shave for a 4 day-old blade.

4. Michelangelo

Day 49 of shave journal (14 Aug 2013):
    Gear: Edwin Jagger DE86, Astra SP (1st use), Whipped Dog silvertip, Arko shave stick.
    Lather: 30/120 second load/face lather, 30 second lather with each additional pass, no additional load required.
    Summary: 1 nick when the blade went sideways across my face.
    Verdict: Besides the nick, it was a pretty good shave. I think I may like waiting a day in between all my shaves.

5. Michelangelo

Day 50 of shave journal (15 Aug 2013):

Gear: Edwin Jagger DE86, Astra SP (2nd use), Whipped Dog silvertip, Arko shave stick.
    Lather: 30/120 second load/face lather, 30 second lather with each additional pass, no additional load required.

Verdict: Decided not to take a break, and it wasn't too bad a shave. I'm really liking this Edwin Jagger razor.

6. Michelangelo

Day 51 of shave journal (16 Aug 2013):
    Didn't shave today to give my skin the break that it needs.

7. Michelangelo

Day 52 of shave journal (17 Aug 2013):

Gear: Edwin Jagger DE86, Astra SP (3rd use), Whipped Dog silvertip, Arko shave stick.

Summary: Mild irritation.

Verdict: Went a little bit too fast on the shave, so it caused a little bit of irritation. I have kind of forgotten that part of the reason for starting this type of shaving is so I can have irritation-free shaves and so I can actually enjoy my shaves. I'll work on that specifically next time.

8. Michelangelo

Day 53 of shave journal (18 Aug 2013):
    Taking my every-other-day break to help my skin recover. This is probably my last record of these off-days of shaving. From now on, I'll just include amount of hair growth in each day recorded in my journal.

9. Michelangelo

Day 54 of shave journal (19 Aug 2013, 2 days beard growth):

Gear: Edwin Jagger DE86, Astra SP (4th use), Whipped Dog silvertip, Arko shave stick.

Summary: No irritation, close shave!

Verdict: I am very happy with how this shave went, especially considering the age of the blade.

Raven312 likes this.
  10. Michelangelo

Day 55 of shave journal (21 Aug 2013, 2 days beard growth):

Gear: Edwin Jagger DE86, Astra SP (1st use), Whipped Dog silvertip, Arko shave stick.

Verdict: A great shave!

Raven312 likes this.
  11. Michelangelo

Day 56 of shave journal (23 Aug 2013, 2 days beard growth):

Gear: Edwin Jagger DE86, Astra SP (2nd use), Whipped Dog silvertip, Arko shave stick.
    Shave: 2 passes: WTG, ATG, plus a cold rinse.

Summary: No irritation, even with this 2-pass experiment.

Verdict: This was a test to see if I might enjoy using a more aggressive razor and eventually sticking with a 2-pass shave.

MoAllen likes this.
  12. Michelangelo

Day 57 of shave journal (26 Aug 2013, 3 days beard growth):

Shave: 2 passes: WTG, ATG, plus a cold rinse.

Summary: Slight irritation near my Adam's Apple.

Verdict: Doing only 2 passes is nice, but I'll have to focus on using less pressure next time I try it to minimize irritation.

Raven312 and MoAllen like this.
  13. Michelangelo

Day 58 of shave journal (28 Aug 2013, 2 days beard growth):

Summary: Slight irritation on my neck.

Verdict: This was a good lesson to me to use less pressure on my neck. The next time I shave, I will spend more time on the WTG pass on my neck to ensure beard reduction on that first pass, and I will use less pressure.

Raven312, MoAllen and Leo K. like this.
  14. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I'm impressed with your journal, it reads like a good blog!

Regarding pressure, I always pretend I'm shaving the lather from my face, not the stubble. This helps with my pressure accuracy.

Raven312 and Michelangelo like this.
  15. Michelangelo

Day 59 of shave journal (30 Aug 2013, 2 days beard growth):

Verdict: A good shave, and a good try for me at keeping no pressure. I thought of just shaving the cream off of my face and not the whiskers.

16. Michelangelo

Day 60 of shave journal (2 Sep 2013, 3 days beard growth):

Summary: No irritation, smooth skin.

Verdict: This was a terrific shave! I loved how smoothe the shave was after 3 days of beard growth. I think the shave oil helped even more with longer hair. I also think part of the reason for no irritation and the close shave was that my skin had a full 3 days to recover.

Raven312 likes this.
  17. Michelangelo

Day 61 of shave journal (4 Sep 2013, 2 days beard growth):

Summary: No irritation, pretty close shave.

Verdict: Another successful attempt at no-pressure shaving. I would like to know of any experiments you all tried to get closer shaves. I know that YMMV, but I need some ideas - I've tried everything I can think of so far.

Raven312 likes this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Buffing? J-Hooking? Gillette Slide?

Michelangelo likes this.
  19. Michelangelo

Day 62 of shave journal (6 Sep 2013, 2 days beard growth):

Summary: No irritation, pretty close shave.

Verdict: Tried J-hooking for closeness. Need to work on my technique there to avoid irritation.

Raven312 likes this.
  20. Michelangelo

Day 63 of shave journal (8 Sep 2013, 2 days beard growth):
    Summary: No irritation, sort-of-close shave.
    Verdict: Not as close a shave as I hoped for, but at least no irritation.

Raven312 likes this.