New to me -- De Vergulde Hand

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Troy M, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My son sent me this from Germany for my birthday. The free cream challenge will be placed on hold for a few days while I try this stuff. [​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

brit, RyX, madmedic and 12 others like this.
  2. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Postage was more than the soap. It can be had for less than 2 Euros in The Netherlands.
    It's a fantastic soap though. Happy birthday.

brit, madmedic, Spyder and 7 others like this.
  3. Troy M

When he moved over there in August, I suggested he look for this for himself. He bought some canned goo when he got there and hated it. But when he went shopping for me, he got some for himself and he waxed quite eloquently about it.

Yehuda D, Spyder and sdguero like this.
  4. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It's been around for over 450 years. The company knows what it's doing.

RyX, madmedic, Vlasta and 4 others like this.
  5. Troy M

I used the cream this morning and it was just fine. No surprises, no off-putting scent, good slickness and easy to lather.

Vlasta, Yehuda D, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yep, it's a Dutch product and a great performer! Unfortunately for me, something in it did not agree with my skin after a couple uses, which is ironic since the Dutch says "also for sensitive skin." :(

RyX, Yehuda D, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I haven't used the cream but enjoy the soap.

RyX, Vlasta, Yehuda D and 1 other person like this.
  8. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

There's also a shave stick version.

RyX, Yehuda D and Spyder like this.
  9. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he got De Vergulde Hand in Germany. I lived in Germany (a few miles from the Dutch border) for a long time (until I was 28) and never heard of it - let alone saw it in a shop - back then. Tabac is the soap to get in Germany - also made a few miles from the Dutch border - I used to live in (reasonable) walking distance from the Tabac factory, but I had a beard back then :D

RyX, Linuxguile, Yehuda D and 3 others like this.
  10. Yehuda D

Ach so - nach meiner Meinung sind beide Seifen augezeichnet. Tabac ist auch eine Lieblingsseife! :)

11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've had a puck of the Extra Fris for quite awhile and just recently purchased the regular version.
    At about 8 bucks a puck it's one of the best soap bargains on the market.

RyX, Linuxguile and Yehuda D like this.
  12. Troy M

He lives in Kiel at the moment. Not sure where they were shopping, perhaps Hamburg?

13. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Perhaps he can recommend some places to visit in Kiel? I'm there from time to time and it would be fun to look for shaving items next time :)

14. Troy M

I'll ask him.

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

@Vlasta was kind enough to send me a puck. Good stuff.

RyX and Vlasta like this.
  16. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    It is a top performing soap in my opinion at any price and at 1.79 EUR a puck it is an absolute bargain. De Vergulde Hand have been making shaving soap for 450 years so they must have it off pat by now!!! I bought 5 pucks the last time I was in Holland - that was all the stock the supermarket had.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    RyX, Keithmax and Troy M like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The Guilded Hand. I like it.

18. Troy M

Update: I finally used up a couple other soaps and pulled out De Vergulde Hand hard puck yesterday. Wow!!! Easy, slick and dense lather, great soapy scent and fantastic performance during and after the shave. Its one I might want to save, but that's not the way I roll. I'll use this puck until its all gone and then have fond memories of it. I expect the puck to last at least a month. My RR Plissoft brush doesn't need much to make plenty of lather on my face - maybe 10 seconds - and the results are fantastic. Seems a little thirsty as I start lathering up, but dipping the tips of the brush in the sink and going back to my ugly mug and within 30 seconds I have a slick and shiny coating ready for the razor.

If you can get some, I highly recommend it.

MR41, RyX, Vlasta and 3 others like this.
  19. Yehuda D

I find this soap lathers and performs much better than another cheap Dutch soap named Kruidvat.

Frijolero likes this.
  20. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Never heard of that one. I guess I know why.

Yehuda D likes this.