New To Me Ikon

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jwr0201, Mar 17, 2015.

1. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

I was fortunate to acquire a pre-owned Ikon DLC razor with an OC base plate and Bulldog handle recently and could not be more pleased with the razor. The quality is superb and the finish is nearly flawless throughout. For a first shave, I loaded a Voskhod blade and the results were a DFS+ with no burn or nicks at all. The OC base plate seems to be quite mild and very forgiving - easily as mild as my ED DE89. I have read descriptions of razors described as aggressive and also as efficient. IMHO, efficiency is probably a better manner of measuring. This IKON is a very efficient razor and works well in allowing the blade to do the work. Since this head combination does such a good job of working in smooth harmony with the blade, the result is that it is an efficient design that feels mild yet delivers a very close and desirable shave. A clear winner in my book!
    [​IMG]

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

It is sort of amazing when you find the combo that is both mild and efficient.

jwr0201 likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry, Sir, but we have rules:

No pic, didn't happen :p

4. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

Ikon 2.jpg Ikon.jpg

This thing's nice! I'd recommend it without hesitation. Turned out to be easier to locate than a Weber and at a better price. Best things are that it shaves very well and is still in production!!!

clint64 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088:

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

7. Mister C

Mister C Member

Never seen one of these. I gotta get out more.

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: Congrats on your find. I like the open comb and I'm glad to hear it gives a mild shave. Apparently/unfortunately Weber isn't making any razors now from what I understand and so they are getting harder and harder to find. So now one of the best deals out there for an American made SS safety razor is going to start getting pricey because they are getting scarce. I'm sure glad I have a couple. :)

9. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

An update on this Ikon... I was gifted a black coated stainless SB base plate for the Ikon and it is likely my holy grail of razors. It feels like it would be dangerous if not handles correctly, but that is only a façade. When coupled with a good blade, this razor gives a very close, clean shave without worries of nicks or cuts. Key is - as you all know - to let the weight of the razor do the work and don't apply pressure. I find it prefers some speed to the shave strokes rather than very slow going. Ikon is very nice quality and the fit is excellent. There will be more in my den!

maltedmilk likes this.