New wet shaver question

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by huskershaver, Mar 18, 2016.

1. huskershaver

huskershaver New Member

i recently got my buddy into wet shaving. He got a kit from Stirling soaps that comes with everything. He's got thick dark facial hair. It seems like he will shave and have a great shave then 3/4 days later he said it will give him razor burn and cut his face up. I don't really have an answer for him. Could it be that with his thick hair he would dull a blade that quick? I wouldn't think so but maybe I guess. He has tried different brands of blades but same result. If anybody has any suggestions or input that would be great.

Thanks

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I've heard of a sort of after-burn phenomenon similar to what you've described, but I've never heard of anyone developing actual facial after-lacerations..usually cuts only occur during the shave itself. There are many variables that can cause the after-burn. Razor and blade type and or lubrication or beard preparation are a few of the potential causes. Your buddy will need to systematically continue hunting down the culprit to solve this issue. Others will also chime in with some more suggestions. I'm sure the after-burn can be solved with some further attention to detail. As for those after-cuts..not sure whats happening there..lol maybe a poltergeist..:eek:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Herm2502 and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Maybe he is allergic to something in the soap and how long is he going on the same blade...

4. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Three or four shaves is pretty good for a blade. It is definitely true that coarser hair will dull a blade more quickly as will too much pressure, but I think he needs to change blades after two to three shaves. That will more than likely solve the problem.

5. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I have fairly coarse hair and every blade I've tried can't make it to 5 shaves. I'm still looking but so far...

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Might suggest a Pre Shave Oil. They can be made from products available locally, or purchased from either Walmart, or online. The idea is to soften and lube the stubble for a more comfortable beard reduction.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have tough hair and only use a blade 2 times and out.

8. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

+1 this. It definitely made an improvement in my shaving comfort. It's cheap and easy to make. Mine is 2 parts grape seed oil to 1 part castor oil. You can add almost any skin safe essential oil if a scent is wanted.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011: I knew the guys would come up with some good suggestions. Good luck with that.

BeShaved, RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I agree.

BeShaved likes this.
  11. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

The guys here have given you some really good responses here. As with most wet shaving products, YMMV, but I think blades are the one where the YMMV factor comes into play the most. And given that your buddy has thick, coarse facial hair, I would guess that three shaves at most (maybe even less) would be when his blades really starts to head south on him.

I agree with @RyX, I think a pre-shave oil might help. In addition to that, adding a few drops of glycerine to his shaving soap might help. You can purchase a bottle of glycerine at most drug stores (and some grocery stores). A good post-shave balm can help, too. I have sensitive skin and I use Nivea's Cooling Sensitive Post Shave Balm and that helps a lot.

Another thing to consider is facial prep prior to the shave. Different people have different preferences, but many like either a warm shower before they shave or a hot towel on their face for a few minutes before they shave. Anything you can do to help open your pores a little and soften your facial hair will help immensely—even if you shave with a cart. A lot of guys, especially those who don't wet shave, just lather up and go to town and that will almost certainly guarantee a miserable shaving experience whether you're a wet shaver or can-and-cart shaver. But a little facial prep will go a long way to improve the shaving experience.

Additionally, there may be two other factors at play here: 1) the sensitivity of your buddy's skin and 2) no disrespect to him, but his technique as someone new to wet shaving.

If he has really sensitive skin, then that can be a real challenge to work around. However, with proper facial prep and good technique, a person with sensitive skin can still get a good, irritation-free shave. With technique, a couple of factors are at play—particularly blade angle and pressure applied when using the razor.

What I would recommend is that your buddy does his shaving when he has time to go slow. I know that's not always practical, especially if you're running behind schedule in the morning. But if he can—and this is something I would recommend to all who are new to wet shaving—I would suggest he finds time to do his shaving when he's not in a rush. Go slow, work on getting the blade angle right, and work on finding the right amount of pressure to apply when using the razor. These things, along with proper facial prep (and possibly an after shave balm), will help anyone new to wet shaving improve their shaving experience.

I think if your friend is willing to work through the learning process and improve his technique, then I think he will eventually get to a point where he's experiencing very little to no irritation after shaving. Good luck to your buddy. I hope things improve for him.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    RyX, ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  12. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Both blades and soaps are different for each person, so I would suggest getting a few soap samples and a few different blades. Plus technique can be involved, pressure on the razor, angle, etc.

TheManWithNoName and Robyflexx like this.