Newbie at the forum and a vintage Gillette Rocket flare tip purchase (photo updated)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dragonhf, Sep 12, 2017.

1. dragonhf

dragonhf Member

Hi all,

I´m a newbie here. I discovered the art of shaving recently.
    Before I had only used those Gillette cassette razor, I didn´t like it at all because of the all redness I got from it.
    So long time I was stuck with electric shavers, but I was never satisfied, since it didn´t give a clean look.

All started last X´mas when my elder brother gifted me a Edwin Jagger Chrome DE razor (DE89bl),
    I was surprised that it was so much better than Gillette Mach 3, no redness at all and it doesn´t cut me as I think it will do.
    Recently I had some health issue and hadn´t anything to do than surfing on the net. For occasionally I read some forum about Vintage Gillette razor and I liked the twist to open design a lot and read a lot about how good Fatboy and Slim are.
    Because of the curiosity I bought some from the eBay, but all the seller was from US. So I still waiting for it to arrive to Sweden. As more as I read about vintage razor, more I wanted one.

Suddently I found on a Swedish auction site, it says only Gillette razor made in England. It was dirty and rusted and I think like a lot of video I have seen in Youtube where people polish and clean their vintage razor that I thought it might be fun to have something to do meanwhile I´m sick and away from work.
    I got it for $16 shipped, hope it was a good price.

When I received it today, it was quite dirty. I cleaned the rust with some steel wool (a product call Svinto in Sweden), with an old toothbrush and some liquid soap. After that I polish the 2 doors with Cape Cod and the handle with a Dremel tool with red polishing wheel on low speed.
    Then I put it on ultrasonic cleaner, follow by toothbrush with soap again and rubber alcohol.
    Finally I dry it with a hairdryer and added some Ballistol Universal oil.
    Now it twist really smooth.

From the information I found I think is a Gillette Rocket Flare tip stamped with Gillette, made in England and II. If you guys know what circa what year is made, please make a comment.

Pics before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics after:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you guys like it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi dragonhf, welcome to The Shave Den. Unfortunately I can not see your images. I don't know why. But I know the Flare Tip Rockets are excellent razors. In fact, all the Gillette Rockets are great razors. Although I would suggest not using steel wool on them. It is too abrasive. It can damage the finish on the nickel plating. There are many ways our members clean dirty razors, I use an ultrasonic cleaner, but equal results can be had by simply soaking the razor in a tumbler of hot water and dish detergent. You must occasionally scrub the razor with a toothbrush, and a lot of guys will use plain white toothpaste on some of the crustier razors while scrubbing with the toothbrush. But start with the hot water/dish detergent soak first, and scrub as nessecery. Enjoy yourtime here sir. This place is a wealth of information too.
    Regards,
    Alan.

3. dragonhf

dragonhf Member

Thanks Alan. It´s my first day here, so I suppose not to be allowed to have image linked. I will re-do the links later when the site allows me.

4. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

dragonhf likes this.
  5. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

So you have been bitten by the vintage bug? Me too. As many of us here. There is a lot more to traditional wet shaving also. The selection of a favorite soap or cream to shave with is also fun to do, however, this hobby of ours can become quite costly. Go easy, and don't wear out your wallet! When I started traditional wet shaving I focused mostly on acquiring Vintage Gillette razors, and did not enter the realm of shaving soaps and creams until a year or so had passed. I simply used canned goo. One way to determine your favorite shaving soap/cream is to seek out vendors who sell samples. One ounce samples can be had by many sellers. It is the same for after shave lotions, and even colognes too. There is also the matter of technique. You must develope a solid shaving technique. Most of us use a three pass shaving routine. First pass with the grain-WTG, second pass across the grain- XTG, and last pass against the grain- ATG. The best rule of thumb is to not put much pressure on your razor while shaving. Let the weight of the razor do the cutting of whiskers.
    Sorry for the long post. I will leave you with your thoughts. God Bless, and enjoy!

Alan.

dragonhf likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

dragonhf and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  7. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Hello @dragonhf , and welcome to the den.

dragonhf likes this.
  8. Svisson

Svisson New Member

New here to, but also from Sweden and familiar with some of the vintage Gillette razors and also Edwin Jagger DE89. There is allt of ppl in a Facebook group called "våtrakning Sverige" join and you might get some help there to. But I have followed this forum for a while and I think you wil get plenty of tips.

/Svisson

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A3003 via Tapatalk

dragonhf, Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  9. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the B&B forums.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dragonhf likes this.
  10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Hello @dragonhf , and welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. So you like the twist to open Gillettes? So do many of us and there are lots and lots of different versions you can try.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their @dragonhf, I really enjoyed your story. I love old Gillettes myself. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures.
    zwelcome2.jpg

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den!
    :signs046:

dragonhf likes this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

???

dragonhf and AGHisBBS like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!!

dragonhf likes this.
  15. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

dragonhf likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

dragonhf likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @dragonhf. Glad you joined us here at TSD.

If you want to experiment at posting photos, try the Post Testing forum. There is a size limit of 1mb if you upload to The Shave Den. You can link an image, or try the TapaTalk app.

Take a moment to visit The Newbie Giveaway for a chance at some prizes. Read the rules to be sure you qualify.

dragonhf likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Svisson! Take a few minutes and visit The Welcome Center and make your introductions? That Newbie Giveaway is open to you, too! (See above post for a link)

dragonhf likes this.
  19. Dule083

Dule083 Active Member

Welcome. Some time this methoth with baking soda and white vinegar was better than polishing. Put some aluminum foil for baking on bottom then baking soda over her then put razor on soda and pour vinegar. Wait until vinegar stop sparkling. And woala. This is especially good for silver plated razors.

dragonhf likes this.
  20. dragonhf

dragonhf Member

Finally pics up. Thanks all for the warmth welcome.