newbie beginning hardware

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by psyrob, Mar 29, 2017.

1. psyrob

psyrob Member

Hey:
    Been DE Shaving three weeks now, trolled here and lots of You Tube. Went for the gentle entry with a Wilkinson Classic, the plastic one, and got a trial pack of mild razors from Razor Emporium. Using Cade puck and a badger brush from Art of Shaving I got as a gift. I shave 5 days a week, lather in a bowl. So far, the best blades have been the ones that came with the Wilkinson, the Wilkinson Sword classic blades. In the trial pack, they are all too mild: Dorco, Lord, and Astra superior really weren't sharp enough. I imagine they would be in a more aggressive razor? of course now I am hooked and want to buy lots of other stuff: boar's hair brush, upgraded razor, lots more blades to try, make my own pre-shave oil, get six different soaps or croaps...but I am keeping the brakes on and will go step by step. What other blades might you recommend for the wilkinson? I have a medium coarse beard, and shaving every day, I don't get any irritation with two pass, with and cross the grain. Thanks for any advice, about blades or otherwise!
    Rob

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai, RyX and 3 others like this.
  2. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

Try all blades at least twice before you put in a finally judgement. It impossible to get a dud blade.

As far as blades, So far, Astra and Gillette Super Platinum are my fav blades. Im also working through a sample pack.

And yes different blades can work better in different razors.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Matt0210 and brit like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Bama Samurai, RyX and brit like this.
  4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

For my tough beard I like Astra Super Platinums, Gillette Sharp Edge Yellow, PolSilver Super Iridium, Rapira Platinum Lux and following these are the Voskhod Teflons

brit likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

A sample blade pack is a good investment generally the more different blades you can try the better until you find what works best for your face and technique. Some blades I use and like are Astra SP, Polsilver Super Iridium and Vikings Sword.:happy088:

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hey Rob! Welcome to the den. You might want to checkout TryABlade.com for a good mix of blades.

7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Grab the Russian Sampler on eBay. Most of the best blades are Russian made

ninjack, Engblom, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I like persona labs, i picked them before i knew shinola.
    Lucky for me they agreed with my face.
    They have a rep of being long lasting and keen.
    Now I know (what i like anyway) a little. I can say, all razors are sharp, some a bit keener than others. My best advice is stolen from a former member @GDCarrington , search for his 30 rule. Find a decent blade, stick with that one till you get enough experience to make an informed decision to change an element of your game.
    Patients and determination are key. Good luck.

RyX and dustmite like this.
  9. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

The Astra SP were never really good for me either. The Astra SS and Feather Hi-Stainless are good for me right now. Most any Russian blade, as has been said, should be good. Good luck in your new shaving endeavor. The site is loaded with all sorts of good stuff.

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Good advice on tryablade.com. As I remember you get a pair of blades of each brand you select. Some you may want to try: Gillette Silver Blue, Voskhod, Gillette 7 o'clock Green, Shark Super Chrome, Derby, Bolzano. Boar brush: Omega 10098, Semogue gets a lot of play around here. Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89bl.
    Once you get some blades, come on over to the 30 Day Rule/Focus and test 'em out. You'll find the right blade for your face and your technique will improve.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Great list. I like Gillette silver blues, Gillette yellows, Rapira, Astra SP, and voskhods.

I try to use smoother/milder blades in aggressive razors and sharper/aggressive blades in mild razors.

I will pm you, @psyrob