Newbie choices

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dansco, Aug 18, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome from Central NJ @Daniel Scott. If you're gonna go vintage Gillette here's some to consider:
    IMG_0306.JPG
    Super Speed Black Tip. This one is a '52
    IMG_0244.JPG
    Super Adjustable 109. This one is a '71
    IMG_0978.JPG
    Slim Adjustable from 1967
    Finally:
    IMG_0536.JPG
    1966 Schick Krona
    All the above would work. The Adjustables can dial up once your technique gets better

Attached Files:

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Dansco and FaceScraper like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While it does depend on the condition of the plating IMO, however any razor that is in good shaving condition( straight well fitting shave head, good straight handle properly fitting screws to the handle) anything under $20 is fair. Of course the lower the better. There are many Fat Handle tech's on ebay.
    Unless it really bothers you getting one with the plating worn off that doesn't affect the shave and the brass will polish up very nicely.
    If you really want it now and the razor is in good shape and you don't want to fuss with bidding then again IMO $20-&25 including the shipping or with free shipping is fair.
    As far as I know all the Fat Handle tech's had solid bar heads, so if it has an open comb head then the head is from another razor. Nothing particularly wrong with that but be aware it just isn't original.
    There looks like there are a number of nice Fat Handle tech's on ebay now....That one made in England looks nice and right now its a good price, but of course there are 5 days left on the bidding. You can always ask the seller if he will take a BIN(buy it now) offer on the razor.
    That's another thing the plating is going to come in various grades of loss. The important thing to ask the seller is the condition of the shave head. Is it straight do the top and bottom plates fit together as they should. Does the shave head screw into and sit on the handle correctly. I hope this helps you some.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    CarlfromMO, FaceScraper and Dansco like this.
  4. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to show me these. They look good - I will keep my eyes open

FaceScraper likes this.
  5. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Excellent - thanks very much. A couple of these questions have been sent to vendor

6. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Thanks. I had a feeling this would be the best way to think about it. Just get one and learn how to shave.

However I like buying stuff

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    FaceScraper likes this.
  7. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Remember, with any three piece razor you can swap the handle to something you want. If you want a mild razor, concentrate more on getting a mild head, and then think about the handle later, if you noticed you like that particular head.

When it comes to shaving, balance is an important aspect. You should try to have a literally feather light touch (no pressure). This means you should have enough weight in the handle to balance the head at the point you hold the razor.

Shaving is YMMV, but my opinion is that both Merkur 34C and EJ89 are not mild, but moderate. There are more mild razors than those. Of vintage, Gillette Tech (post war models) comes to my mind. Tech is also often cloned, and you can find many modern clones. My favorite mild razors are iKon #102 and iKon X3. It is easier to shave with #102. X3 is more versatile but also more difficult to load with blade as it does not automatically align it to the cap, you end up pushing the blade edge with something before tightening down.

EDIT: I should probably explain what I mean with more versatile. #102 will clog for bigger growth than one day of growth. X3 is milder, but got a huge gap and will not clog easily. X3 is more difficult to shave with because you need to really keep perfect angle or it will not shave close.

8. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

You certainly have come to the right place if you like buying stuff! TSD is crawling with enablers! You'll end up with way more razors, soaps, brushes, etc. than you ever planned on - and, in a hurry too!

You're correct....basically just get one and learn to shave. FWIW, I started out with a VDH (Walmart, Target) and soon went with a Baxter of California - which is the same as the Muhle R89, and identical to the EJ heads. It's a very nice shaver...mild, yet still efficient. There's a reason why so many of this style are sold, and copied by many others. It just works. And, they're pretty as well! I'm not trying to talk you into one, but I saw you had asked about this style, and I neglected to mention it in my pervious post.

Dansco likes this.
  9. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

+1.

Dansco, RyX and FaceScraper like this.
  10. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Check out Andrew Shave Shop on Etsy run by our own @Linuxguile. You can trust anything he sells, and his prices are always very competitive.

PickledNorthern, RyX, Dansco and 2 others like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

+1

12. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I saw a fat handle twch at a store yesterday. Wasn't pretty but it was like 3 bucks. If you dont win I can grab that and send it if they still have it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

FaceScraper and Dansco like this.
  13. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Thanks. People here are so helpful.

I'm still winning the other. Finishes tomorrow. I'll just keep my eyes out on eBay but thanks for the offers.

I'm now looking at lockable wooden boxes to keep my shaving stuff in as I have a 16 month old and I don't want blades around haha

14. Dule083

Dule083 Active Member

1.jpeg 1.jpeg image-0-02-05-a443abefb6333dcc8502a4bc91d82e4025b62f174cbc1393ff791c979271cb79-V.jpg Welcome. I am new here but have some experience. My recommendation is Tech fat handle flat bottomed or Gillete and Gillete Rocket 500 HD

brit, Jorvaljr, Dansco and 2 others like this.
  15. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

The fat handle tech is one of my favorite razors. It is easy to find the correct angle, and it results in a great shave.
    When I use mine, I often ask myself, "Why do I need anything else?" But it is too much fun not to use different razors.

RetLEO-07, Dansco and FaceScraper like this.
  16. Dule083

Dule083 Active Member

Rocket is my absolute recommendation as a entrance razor in TTo-s

17. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't win the fat handle Tech. It went up to just more than £25. And there was a second gold one from same seller. That went at £23.

Sent my parents an image of the one I had bid on... my mother was quick to point out that my grandad had one and it looked like one my dad used to have.

Next thing i know she's sent me 3 images...

Turns out a hair brush that my dad has been using every morning for the last 40 years contains a Gilette Tech razor. Unfortunately not a fat handle, and it's probably from the 60's, not the 40's. Still, I can have it for free.

One of my friends who already wet shaves came over today and gave me a Schick (?) and some blades to try.

So it begins...

Attached Files:

18. RetLEO-07

Your Mom just set you up in style!
    Do yourself a favor and get blades and head over to the 30 Day Rule/Focus. Work with this razor and master it. Your face will thank you.

FaceScraper and Dansco like this.
  19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Edwin Jagger and Muhle use the exact same head for many of their razors. Its a good mild head. I've got a couple of the r89 style razors - however I still prefer the Merkur 34c. The Merkur 34c head is used on several other Merkur styles - you might want to check those out.

FaceScraper likes this.
  20. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I hope so. I've grown to hate my disposable gilette

FaceScraper likes this.