Newbie choices

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dansco, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Dule083

Dule083 Active Member

I buy this razor with box for my Rocket and give him to my brother. He never buy another closed comb. He dont use his EJ 89. So use him as lot as you can. Master with angle and preassure. When you arm was ready buy Rocket and then you will be addict so..... like me you finnish with 12-15 razors :)

Dansco likes this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

There is a world of difference between the two. You'll never go back to carts again. Oh yes, welcome to the wonderful world of AD's also.
    Resistance is Futile. :D

FaceScraper likes this.
  3. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Tech is a well working razor. I have already converted two of my friends to wet shaving with Tech clones. It is not the most mild razor, but definitely on the milder side and milder than some common "beginners razors".

I have some advice for you:
    • All irritation comes from too much pressure. You should have literately a feather light touch, or as it is often called zero pressure.
    • A DE razor will only shave close if it is held at the right angle. Unlike cartridge, it does not have a pivoting head. Now this will take some time to learn. Don't fall into the temptation to add pressure to get it to shave closer. Just accept less close shaves in the beginning. With the time you know from the feedback of the razor if you keep the right angle. Then the shaves will get close too.
    • Regardless of 30 days rules or any other rule, get enough of different blades so you find a blade sharp enough to not tug. There are many well liked brands, but initially try to get something like: Voskhod, Astrap SP, Gillette Silver Blue, Feather (mentioned in approximately sharpness order). Then find a blade working for you from those. Getting some of each through ebay is not a huge cost. Later you can/should experiment with more brands (by getting a sample pack).

brit, FaceScraper and Dansco like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

Ride the cap(thread in "Shave School")
    I've been doing Focus shaves since I've been here. One razor and a different blade every week until you find one your face likes.

FaceScraper and Dansco like this.
  5. Dule083

Dule083 Active Member

And off course don't rush, be pattient, do pre shave, and make from.shaving you ritual that calm your mind and be some kind of your personal meditation. Do not rysh through shaving take your time. That is first condition for enjoying

6. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

That sounds perfect. I may even light some candles...

Edited because this sounds sarcastic. I'm deadly serious :)

entropy1049 likes this.
  7. RetLEO-07

I think you can skip the candles. But it will set up your day. I shave Sunday thru Friday and no matter how the day plays out, the start is always great.

8. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Your Father's razor looks like it is in great shape. That one would be an excellent choice for you. Is your Mother going to send it to you? If she lives nearby, maybe you can go to her house and visit for an afternoon. And don't forget to take her out for a meal. :)

Dansco and FaceScraper like this.
  9. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

It's never been used - he has had an electric shaver for as long as I can remember.

She's coming over in the morning to sort out my garden so I assume she may bring it with her. She gets something better than a meal - she's looking after my little boy for the day :) i think that's a good swap

FaceScraper and CarlfromMO like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Get your technique down, find the right blade, and that Tech will give darn near BBS shaves. It's a great razor.

11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den, There are many great choices, it is mostly in what you like best, New or Vintage, 2 or 3 piece, TTO, Adjustable. If you try Vintage and it is your first razor, Buying from E-Bay can be a challenge, unless you go to allot of lawn sales or Antique/Thrift Shops you can see and feel if you like the razor. New, you know that the razor is undamaged and returnable if it is, you can compare pictures and get advice here.
    I would suggest a new razor, 3 piece: EJ 89 with a non slip handle, TTO: check out the Parkers, Adjustable: Merkur Progress, Parker Variant

Dansco likes this.
  12. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Biggest challenge I've found so far was that one guy bought all four gilette fat handle techs being sold at reasonable prices in the UK haha! 4 auctions finished within am hour of each other one night and he won them all by a couple of quid. Very annoyed at that!!

13. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Did you get the razor from your mother yet?

14. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Yep! It is in my possession! :) I was so happy, it's in awesome condition. I can't get over how small they are though...

FaceScraper likes this.
  15. FaceScraper

Fantastic! Now the fun begins! I'm guessing you haven't tried it out yet?

16. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Nope, not yet. I have a couple disposables cartridges to get rid of... maybe a couple of weeks. Waiting for a brush anyhow

FaceScraper likes this.
  17. FaceScraper

Huff. Tap, tap, tap. I don't know how you have so much patience!!! :p

18. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Haha it a driving me mad but ill have to wait for my brush to be delivered... aaahhhhh

FaceScraper likes this.
  19. FaceScraper

Watcha gettin??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I'm pretty set on an Edwin Jagger super badger hair one... But again there's so much choice out there. I decided on that one because I know the name haha

FaceScraper likes this.