Newbie choices

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dansco, Aug 18, 2017.

1. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I've never used one, but I think you'll be happy with it. EJ makes nice gear! You'll end up with more...this is just the beginning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Well I ended up with an omega 49 brush in the interim until my birthday where my wife will probably get me something more expensive.

Fist couple of shaves this week with the tech... slow compared to what I'm used to and a few nicks during both. I believe I lose focus and exert pressure especially on the neck areas. Any advice?

Edit: I have seen the ride the cap thread and that makes sense so definitely aiming to follow that advice.

FaceScraper likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Advice? The answer is in your last post - stay focused and pay attention to the pressure.

FaceScraper and Dansco like this.
  4. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I'm finding it hard to let the razor do the work around my neck, like I need to put some pressure on. Is there a technique to these areas to help avoid It?

FaceScraper likes this.
  5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

In what way do you struggle? I mean, there are many different problems one can have.

6. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I haha its hard to explain as a newbie...
    I just didn't feel like the razor was removing hair, and after trying to alter angle a couple of times I realised I was probably pressing too hard at that point.

Should you shave the neck differently because of weird hair growth?? It seems to have a swirl rather than grow in the same direction

7. swarden43

No pressure.
    First pass with the grain WTG.
    No pressure.
    Second pass across the grain XTG.
    No pressure.
    Third pass against the grain ATG.
    No pressure.

Many cannot take that third pass ATG, and this may be you.
    Try second and third pass at a diagonal to the grain. Think making an X - second pass lower left to upper right, third pass lower right to upper left. Yup, no pressure.

FaceScraper and Dansco like this.
  8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Thanks that's great. I'll try that

FaceScraper likes this.
  9. FaceScraper

As far as the Omega - there's nothing wrong with that brush at all. There are a lot of people who have them, and use them regularly. One thing that holds true in the world of shaving, just like many other things, price doesn't always mean better. Many people love Simpson brushes, while many others don't. I'm not saying don't get another brush...just that the one you have is a fine brush. The boars take a little time to break in. Just give it some time.

I sometimes have some trouble in the neck area as well (mostly around the Adam's apple), but a bit of skin stretching helps tremendously. I tend to get hasty at times and end up applying pressure, even when I think that I'm not. When I do, it shows. I was a cart user for many years, and I assume you were as well. Those habits take some time to break.

I need to follow my own advice here a bit more...but, take your time. Try stretching the skin, and watch your pressure. Certainly try "riding the cap". Another thing to keep in mind - you're reducing the beard, not removing it. It's a mindset thing. Don't try to get everything in one pass.

Dansco likes this.
  10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I actually quite enjoyed the omega brush anyway. Any more pleasant after breaking in and I may not need another one... need and want are two different things though :)

You're right - cartridge user until last weekend. It really did feel different. A completely different technique.

FaceScraper and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. swarden43

I have three Omega brushes, all well broken in. Truth be told, they've become nearly as soft as my silvertip badgers.

FaceScraper likes this.
  12. FaceScraper

You're right about that! It's completely opposite from using a cartridge. I still have to "talk to myself" at times. After 30+ years of using cartridges, it takes time to "unlearn" the technique you use with them.
    Yeppers - You'll get the RADs and the BADs! Once you start using your new setup, it's only a matter of time before you start acquiring more gear. Before you know it, you'll have more razors, brushes, soaps, etc. than you ever planned on! Welcome to "The Addiction"! And, don't think you'll get any help form the other folks on this forum - they're a bunch of enablers! :)

Dansco likes this.