Newbie figuring out what to buy

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Skijumper, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Skijumper

Skijumper New Member

Got everything in the mail today and I'm about to give it my first shot!
    I've got a pretty good selection of blades:
    Lord Platinum
    Feather
    Astra
    Bluebird
    gillette 7 oclock super platinum
    gillette 7 oclock super stainless
    derby extra
    Shark

What would be your recommendation for which order to try them in?

2. Skijumper

Skijumper New Member

First shave: Great success!!!!

3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

That's awesome! Congrats on the success. What is your current set? What blade did you try today and what's your razor?

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

For the trying blades... I would say put the boxes in a bag and pick one :). I would leave the feathers till later as if you cut yourself with bad technique you might blame the blade... however they are loved and coveted by many :).

Good luck finding the right combo for you and not spending toooooo much.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice. :happy088::happy088:

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Oops. Missed page two of the thread. Congrats on a successful outing..

Many good suggestions. I started with Williams and an Omega Boar brush. There are easier soaps to lather then Williams, but for about a buck and available locally it is worth a shot. I primarily use either Arko Shave Stick crammed in a mug or Bigelow SC available from Bath and Body Works. Neither are overly expensive.

One aftershave I did not see mentioned is Superior 70 Bay Rum. I found it in a bodega across the street from my work for just over $2 a bottle. It's good stuff with a very mild bay scent. It is just about the only splash I ever use. It is well worth a try if you happen upon it.

Enjoy your shaves.

7. Brian

Brian Active Member

Welcome to the Den, I hope you enjoy your stay here with us. Looking at the other posts it seems they have it pretty well covered. So with that I'll wish you good shaving, and if you have ANY questions just ask. Someone around here will have the answer for you, or help you reach an answer thats good for you.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Toss 'em in a paper bag, close your eyes and grab one, as Regan said.

Don't let the hype of the Feather scare you. I don't necessarily buy into this "mild blade" or "aggressive blade" theory. All blades are designed to cut or we wouldn't buy 'em. All blades will slice you if you don't pay attention and respect them. You will find some that will work better for you than others. Maybe that's where folks get the mild/aggressive terms; but that's for them, not necessarily you.

9. Skijumper

Skijumper New Member

I got a lord premium and tried it today with the Derby extra blades. Got a nice clean shave and only 2 small nicks

10. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Looks like your on your way to a clean smooth face daily :).

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

It looks like you're already getting along with the Derby better than I ever have. But, that's why we say YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) about blades more than anything else. I hope you have continued success and I'll be curious about what you think of the Astra and 7 O'clock Sharp-edge blades (a couple I personally really like).

12. boogity boo

boogity boo New Member

I agree with Erik. The Derby blade didn't quite work for me, but the much maligned vidyut zorrik did...go figure? Try putting a little noxzema (if you're okay with menthol) under your shave cream...adds additional slickness making for a very comfortable shave.

13. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Yeah, just close your eyes and pick one.

You'll like some and hate others (keep records!), but as a noob, you won't know which is which yet. Save the unused blades and return to them after you're online as a blade shaver to try them again.

14. blazeadam

blazeadam Active Member

I agree. The other blades I have tried so far all gave me lots of irritation, nicks, and tugging. The feathers gave me none of these, and I'm a newbie wet shaver. The feathers were a very smooth blade for me, although I still haven't found a blade that will give me a close shave like I get with a cart yet. Could be my razor.

15. Tuco

Tuco Member

Congrats on the nice shaves. I'd like to know which blade you like the best/least?

16. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

You might need a stiffer blade like an SE blade.

17. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

If you want a DE, the EJ DE89 or 86 etc works just fine, and I don't think you'll out grow it, its easy to use as well.

As for others asking about blades, I'd highly recommend the Dark Blue 7 O'clocks, although I wish they were slightly sharper, they're the smoothest blades I've used to date that don't go dull on me...

They're much more refined then the blue Astra's, I ordered a 100, heh I have an entire box of blades you would think by now I would be done buying them.