Newbie from Canada!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by VideoGames, Jul 27, 2012.

1. InfernoOrangeSS

InfernoOrangeSS New Member

Welcome to you, as I was welcomed recently. Lots of great information here and helping people.

2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Kyle, welcome to the Den, and hello.

3. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den.

4. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

Kyle

Good to see another Canadian here!

Greetings from Toronto!

Graham

5. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

@InfernoOrangeSS: Thank you! I have to agree, I've already found much helpful information.

@fishcrow: Hello, Brad (if I may call you Brad), thanks for the welcome.

@xCarbonSteelx: Thank you, thank you, I hope you're finding this a fine Saturday for relaxing and a shave!

@goshawk: Ah! Another Canadian! Greetings from Vancouver!
    What are the local shave shops like in TO? I've got an uncle who lives there, and maybe I'll convince him he owes me belated birthday gifts.

6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I think Toronto has one of the best selections of shave shops in the country. I haven't been to any personally just because I order everything online - mostly from Canadian vendors, but even Truefitt and Hill has a shop there now if I remember correctly.

VideoGames likes this.
  7. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

Don't...Please don't say that...

Or I'll be $550 less-wealthy and on a plane to TO....

8. Neolithium

Or you could just order online from the Canadian stores and save the annoying hassle of dealing with Canadian Border Services ;)

9. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

You're definitely the smart one! I'll check out their sites.

Would you happen to have any links?

10. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

www.italianbarber.com
    www.thecopperhat.ca (Mod edit, fixed your link)
    there is also ferdihan but there on ther more expensive side

11. Neolithium

Fendrihan isn't too bad depending on what you buy, I just ordered my new strop and hone from there ;)

12. red436

red436 Member

Welcome to TSD, hope you enjoy your stay! :)

13. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Welcome to The Den! Glad to see another Canadian here!

14. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

Thank you thank you! The link for www.thecopperhat.ca was still broken, so I googled them and found it with ease.

Thank ya! I hope so too.

More and more of us, "eh!?"

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den Kyle, a great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Be sure to sign up for the July Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

16. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

Thank you, Bill (if I may call you Bill). I'll be sure to sign up for the July Newbie Give-Away!

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Kyle! :signs046:

VideoGames likes this.
  18. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

Here are some of my favourite spots:

The cornerstone shop here in T O is Toronto Barber and Beauty Supply, home of J M Fraser shave cream and Booster aftershave. They also carry a nice range of brushes, straights and DEs at slightly less heart stopping prices than Truefitt and Hill in the Scotia Plaza.

Shopper's Drug Mart carries alot of Proraso and Real Shaving Company products.

Loblaws is the source for Kiss My Face shave cream.

Festival Italian Deli also carries some Proraso and lots of other good stuff, like pancetta and fine olive oils

For vintage razors the Sunday Collectibles Market at the St Lawrence Market on Front St is a great source - you wont always find stuff, but when you do the prices are usually reasonable.

Gadabout is a vintage shop on Queen St E just west of Woodbine - they carry alot of vintage shave stuff and the prices, while outrageous, are sometimes negotiable.

Finally there is a nice little shave section in Courage My Love in Kensington Market.

Best Regards

Graham

VideoGames likes this.
  19. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

Thank you, JoAnna!

Graham,
    Thank you so much for this informative list. Now I've got a check list of places to visit when I'm in TO this year. I truly appreciate it.

This is the only place I've been to for Razors in TO. I went with my Uncle 5 years back. At that point I wasn't wetshaving, but I do recall my Uncle raving about the market.

Cheers,

Kyle

20. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

From one Canadian to another, welcome :)