Newbie - Gillette adj. fatboy E3

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Craig12, May 13, 2013.

1. Craig12

Craig12 Member

I had some sticker shock recently when my cheap supply of Mach 3 blades finally ran out. I also started going to a barber for a SE shave and a haircut once a month, so my interest in shaving techniques has increased.

I purchased a fusion proguide to get me by while I learn how to use a safety razor.

Originally i was going to by a new Merkur 180 on Amazon, but really wanted an adjustable one. I scored a pretty good condition 1959 E3 Gillette fatboy with case for $33 at an antique shop.

I need to clean it up, but everything looks like it works. I have not purchased blades and have no idea how to shave yet. I'm stoked to get things started when I get home from work today. This forum has a lot of great information.

Any suggestions on blades for a newbie? I was looking Feathers or at a sample pack that included Feathers.

I'll keep everyone updated with my progress.

youngunn likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.
    Be sure to sign up for the May Newbie Give-Away.

As for blades, I would suggest the largest sample pack you can find and afford. Blades are such a personal thing - what I like may not work for you. Don't let anyone tell you that blade XYZ is THE blade to get - just trust in your face. It will tell you what blade is best.

Feathers? I don't care for 'em. Lots of folks love 'em. You you gonna believe? Me or them? You have to try 'em yourself.

178-bplatoon and BigT like this.
  3. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Polsilver SI work for me in my Fatboy. I do three passes 6:4:4. However, You can start much lower than that if you want to.

4. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Thanks for the tips and link to the promotion. Great point on going with my face vs. copying. As I'm finding with shaving, every one is different. Each person has their own technique and routines.

5. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

:signs046:to the Den!

6. ins0ma

ins0ma Well-Known Member

I started with Feathers and quickly discovered that "aggressive" is not what I need in a blade at this stage. I think it's probably a guy thing, we see the word "aggressive" and automatically feel drawn towards it. A better description of Feather blades for a beginner might be "harsh." After giving myself some fairly painful razor burn with Feathers when I first started DE shaving (not long ago at all), I ordered a sampler pack from Amazon and have been working my way through the blades known for their smoothness (Astra, Derby) with good results. I also use an adjustable, and I've moved from 1 to 2 on the dial so far as my technique and understanding of my facial hair growth patterns has improved. I found a lot of great advice here, encouraging me to think more about irritation-free shaves than particularly smooth ones, and I've been having very satisfying outcomes with that strategy in mind.

Good luck and enjoy!

Raven312 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  7. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den. I have 2 1959 fatboy razors. You got a great price there enjoy.

8. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

+1. I agree. I tried the feathers very quickly and my face was not ready for them yet. There is a blade sharpness article on shaving 101 site. I started with the Derby and I am working up the sharpness scale. I am up to using Sharks comfortably. Good luck with your journey and welcome to the den.

9. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Finished cleaning my razor. Much better shape than I thought it was when I purchased it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368490253.870977.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368490277.986396.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368490304.676552.jpg

Peter Allen, ohpaos, BigT and 3 others like this.
  10. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a sample pack of 25 different blades on Amazon. I'll take a look at the 101 site and work my way through.

The razor came with a case too. That seemed like a bonus. It's not it great condition, but pretty cool to have.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368490795.151715.jpg

ohpaos, BigT and Raven312 like this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD Craig12......I hope you enjoy it here...:)

:happy096: on you start with "traditional" shaving. The Gillette "FatBoy" is a wonderful adjustable I.M.O. I own several...
    Getting one for $33 in as good a shape as yours looks to be is a "FANTASTIC" score!! Large blade sampler pk is the way to go...Time,Technique,Practice and Patience will get you to the best and actually least expensive shaves than you've ever gotten with carts....:)

12. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Congrats on the fat boy! It was also my first double-edged razor. If you want to repaint the numbers I would suggest Testors in flat black. You're doing the right thing in ordering a blade sampler pack. I could recommend Astra sp. Just remember to start out at a low setting and work your way up from there until you find the sweet spot with a blade that works don't give up.

13. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

:signs046: Nice first score! My favorite DE so far is my Fatboy. If you are wanting to clean the case Mothers plastic polish works great.

14. Craig12

Craig12 Member

I was at target and noticed try had the VDH Luxury set for $19.99. It usually goes for $25-$30. Sample blades should be here on Wed. Looking forward to my first shave.

15. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD, definitely look into getting a blade sampler pack.

16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Welcome and great choice for a first razor. As far as blades go, everything from where they come from, ease of obtaining, to price, to how the label looks are also factors in addition to how it shaves. Get a sampler pack to start, and don't buy in bulk until you have tried all the usual great blades people swear by. I personally LOVE the Super-Max Platinum and Titanium varieties.

Have fun!

BigT likes this.
  17. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

That's a good deal, nice looking bowl and good soap. Some people don't like the luxury edition brush and prefer the cheaper deluxe version. Still for the money a good buy.

18. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You've got a great setup there. Nice looking Fatboy and the VDH kit will get you started. I personally like the VDH deluxe soap and I'm really enjoying Personna Super Stainless blades lately.

19. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! Had I been lucky enough to know more about the Gillette Adjustables I probably would have stopped looking if I'd found a Fatboy first (well, maybe not... :happy102:). That's a beautiful razor you've got and you cleaned it up fabulously.

20. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD. Nice and clean FatBoy...Still lookin' for one myself!