newbie help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ciccio, Oct 1, 2014.

1. ciccio

ciccio New Member

I am a new De razor user just got a Edwin Jagger de89 razor, I had about 6 or 8 shaves with this razor first blade I used was derby and it was not that good of shave but I'm thinking maybe it was my first shave with De razor but I changed blade out to a Astra superior platinum l had about 4 shaves seemed OK shave then I tried a voskhod about two shaves and that seemed ok. My question is I bought so many sampler blades how many should I try before I use one blade for 30 day test, the last two blades the Astra and Voskhod seemed both OK for someone with not much expierence, I just don't now how many more blades should I try thanks for any help you may give me.

Ciccio

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The most important thing is to work on your technique right now. Pick one blade brand and use it for a month. If they are really bad, you can change brands, but for now work on the technique. Get your angle right, and use a light touch. You will get it down in no time.
    welcome3.jpg

BigMark, Boojum1 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hi Ciccio
    Welcome to TSD! Believe it or not, all blades are meant for all levels of experience. The Astra SP is a really good blade for me, as are the Voskhod. Blades are all subjective, as you'll see when other member post here. Pick one that feels right for you, and use that brand for 30 days. The Edwin Jagger DE89 is a very nice razor, I have one also. Again. Welcome to the den!
    Kerry

Boojum1, BigT and Jayaruh like this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Simply pick the blade that causes the least issue for you and buy around 10 - 15 of that particular blade and begin the test. The gents above are steering you in the right direction.

Slow Joe, Boojum1, BigT and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sgt.Beardface

Sgt.Beardface Member

Find a blade that works and doesn't preform the equivalent of field surgery on your face. I am currently using Feathers. I tried them when I first started back a few months and in the Merkur 34 they were too much for me. However in my AS-D2 they seem to be tamed. I still have to be careful but I have no red flowing. I'm now doing the 30 days with them. But I have tried some blades that from day 1 (wilkinsons, merkur) just didn't work for me. Personal experiences I guess. But isn't it nice to have a choice between gillette Mach 3 and fusion?

-Chuck

Slow Joe and GDCarrington like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

From my experience being about a month ahead of you, the blades that didn't work for me were really easy to determine. I settled on a blade that seemed to work and have used the same razor and blade for coming up on 30 days. At some point I will experiment with the rest of my large sampler pack to see if there is something I like better. Right now I am just working towards having a good consistent technique. After that everything else should sort itself out.

Clint

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome! I am newer to this also and am currently doing the 30day rule to fix technique.

GDCarrington, Bristle Me and Boojum1 like this.
  8. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome to the Shave Den, a friendly place to get shaving advice. As Jayaruh said, start with your technique. Gillette Silver Blues and Polsilver SIs are working well for me. Good luck and have fun!

Slow Joe and Bristle Me like this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "ciccio".

There is no limit to how many blades you can or should try, try as many as you need. Remember it's not about how many blades you buy, but rather how an individual blade works with your face. Your face will tell you when you find the right blade/blades.
    IMO your starting with a fantastic razor(EJ89)! The first razor I really liked was an EJ89. An advantage to the 3 piece razor is you can change handles if you like for a different experience. I found the original EJ handle overly smooth and slick, so I tried it with some other handles(Fat Handle Tech, Durham Duplex DE, Parker and Sabi T2) to name some of the ones I tried. I found the different handles, changed the EJ shave mostly for the better.
    I discovered I preferred the shorter/fatter BullDog type handles(Weber, Gillette, Cadet, Parker, Sabi T2) and ended up using a Weber BullDog handle with my EJ shave head as my go to razor, until I was lucky enough to be offered a Weber DLC shave head. While there was a definite improvement it was only a tiny amount. Had I not lucked out in getting a Weber DLC I'd still be happily using my EJ today..:happy088:

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. ciccio

ciccio New Member

I would like to say thank you for all the great advice everyone here gave me.......

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Ciccio...the DE89 is a terrific razor! It was my first DE razor purchase and it's still one of my favorites. The other more experienced guys above me in this thread know what they're talking about. I've only been doing since April. I kept hearing about improving the technique and I kind of dismissed it. I said to myself, "I'm an intelligent, good looking guy, how hard can this be?" But as time has passed, I realize that all the advice from these guys has started to pay off. My "technique" IS improving because my shaves are improving (more comfortable, no sting) and the equipment hasn't changed. So follow their advice, take it slow.

The only advice I have is that whenever you start to feel real confident (read "cocky") about your technique, slow down and lighten up.

12. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! Good advice here.

13. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, enjoy your shave.

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

welcome
    it looks like you got some good advice
    let me add
    although most things, blades related, are very subjective.
    most folks agree that persona labs, in the bluepackage, are pretty smooth and last along time.
    if your looking for a blade to stick with while you work on your technique,I would recommend the labs.

GDCarrington and clint64 like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The persona blues are what I decided to use while working on my technique. The have been very smooth for me.

Bristle Me likes this.
  16. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

+1 on trying the Labs and the Personna reds aint bad either.

17. ciccio

ciccio New Member

I just did a shave with the Personna red and had a nice shave, I did not have the blues, I think I will use this blade for the 30 day trial and work on my technique and see how it goes, so far very happy using a de razor.
    Thank you again for the welcome and good advice will keep you updated.

Ciccio

18. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome, nice to have you here. I have nothing new to add, they pretty much said what I was going to say.

20. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Welcome

Voskhods are pretty amazing and shave good in every razor I own. Supermax Plats are my go to blade.