newbie help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ciccio, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Welcome ciccio!! :signs046:

Personna reds are a very popular blade, and for good reason.
    A few basic things to remember that may help:

Wash your face before you shave. (gently, no scrubbing)
    Apply lather to your face and work it in for at least 1 minute before you begin your first pass.
    Rinse between passes, and rinse thoroughly when you've finished. Leaving soap on your skin is an invitation to irritation.
    Don't forget the after shave balm or lotion. You need something to cool, soothe, and moisturize when you are done.

Hang in there, it gets a little bit better each day!!

Best wishes :bounce017:

GDCarrington and BigMark like this.
  2. elibyrd

elibyrd New Member

It's all about technique. I use the same razor as my daily, and Voskhod's are my current favorite. Having said that, until you get your technique squared away, you'll continue to have the same problems.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

To answer the question find a blade that feels comfortable before you do the 30 day test. Could you imagine 30 days with the derby blades, ow.
    I was the same as you. My first shave was with an Edwin Jagger and a derby blade and it was terrible. Gillette silver blues and Wilkinson's swords work for me, but it could be different for you. The weird thing is six months from now when your technique has improved, you might go back to derby blades and love them :)

GDCarrington and BigMark like this.