Newbie here . My razor burn saga

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hoss304, May 22, 2017.

1. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I ordered some Voskhod blades to try . They will be here tomorrow. It will be a 3 day growth shave. I'll post results. Thanks for info !

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Voskhod is a good blade stay with them until you get good with them. Odds are the blades aren't really the problem

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Hoss, I use Voskies in my Super Adjustable 109 and get great shaves with them. Currently auditioning them in my '52 Super Speed Black Tip, where they are also delivering great performances. Give 'em a far shot and they may work for you.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thank you.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome @Hoss304 , head over to the "Welcome Center", and introduce yourself.

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I had a terrible experience with Voskhod, but good with Rapira and Nacet, and decent with Shark... well, most blades, really. Voskhod is one of the few that I've actually stopped in the middle of a shave and thrown a blade away :)

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

8. Hoss304

I got the voskhod blades and feather popular razor today . I might go for a shave tonight after work. I don't have a thick beard at all. I have a goatee and what the little one calls a moostash . I refer to my beard as hobo fabulous . Patchy and sparse on cheeks and mostly a "neck beard" .

9. RazorMackham

RazorMackham Member

Echoes my experience, exactly. Tried over a dozen blades, and Voskhod was the only one I pulled the plug on mid-shave. Super uncomfortable shaving experience.

FWIW, my best experience so far has been with Polsilver Super Iridium and Rapira Platinum Lux blades -- IME the PSI is super forgiving: close-shaving yet non-irritating at a wide range of angles, while the RPL requires more attention to technique/angle/etc. to avoid irritation. For me, the extra effort required by the RPL results in a a closer shave than the PSI, while still not causing irritation with daily shaving... tipping the scales towards the Rapira as my favorite blade.

Only caveat is that I can't tolerate the RPL directly ATG on my upper lip, regardless of the angle... but I can get nice and close using diagonal strokes in the XTG/ATG direction after WTG and XTG/WTG passes.

10. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

You've gotten some good advice. Pay attention to angle and pressure. When I started, I would look at the angle, but you need to go by feel. In other words, make sure it's cutting smoothly and you're angle should be good. Also, only shave with the grain until you get your technique down. I still only do 2 passes with the grain because I get ingrown hairs if I go any other direction, not because of my technique but because of how my hair grows.

Terry Williams likes this.
  11. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

All excellent advice. As someone else mentioned, Nivea Aftershave Balm for Sensitive Skin is what I use after every shave. Keeps the itching and burning down and leave my face feeling vice nice afterward.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  12. Master.Legend

Master.Legend Member

Welcome I just joined and started with a 1912 gem. I'm using stainless steel blades. I get some razor burn on my neck as well. I'm also a barber on the side as I've been doing that fades so on and so forth for friends or football teammates since I'm a kid. Now I only cut my pops and some select friends. I have a demanding job as a football coach and travel a lot so I cannot cut as many people. I never owned a safety razor until now and love it I shave my head also. Your skin is going through change it has to get use to it. This is more aggressive on the skin. Stick with it and invest in a cheap good condition 1912 it shaves awesome. Imy building a collection now. Next on my list, featherweight, gbar, micromatic and maybe a Schick injector. I do like the one blade but to expensive. I like the single edge shave better than thin double edge blades in my personal shave. Good luck don't quit.

13. Hoss304

I've added a alum block and witch hazel to the growing hoard of shaving accessories lol . Got several new aftershaves to try also .

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have an alum block that's never been used. I need to set up a plastic soap dish for it. The container it came with from Italian Barber was shattered when I received it.

15. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Alum block is a great addition use it right after a shave for feedback on your technique. Anywhere it burns means too much pressure or bad angle

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

16. Hoss304

I switched things up this morning. Tried not just a cold water shave but a ice water shave . I got to try out my new styptic pen after a cut. I could see the irritation developing between passes. I only did WTG & across . Took out the alum block and gave it a go . Woooooo! Burned me up . My whole lower neck was on fire. I'm going to Witch Hazel it throughout the day and see if it helps.
    Razor - Feather Popular
    Blade - Feather Hi
    Soap - Nivea Sensitive
    Brush - Generic
    Alum - Razorock
    After the shave - ice water rinse , Witch Hazel ,Gillette sensitive lotion on inflamed area, light AquaVelva Musk on non irritation areas .

17. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

When I was having trouble early on in my wet shaving life, I only shaved WTG. I settled for a less than perfectly close shave, but I still got a decent shave. It took a few days, but everything calmed down. Are you able to get much lather with the Nivea soap? I seem to recall that while it had decent glide, I was unable to a very good lather. If you are looking for something OTC, then I think Cremo or Van Der Hagen might be better. I love Mickey Lee Soapworks and you can't go wrong with Cella, Taylor of Old Bond Street or Tabac. These are more available on-line than OTC. There a zillion soaps that are all very, very nice.

The blades that you are using are plenty sharp, but I have found some that I think are smoother. Gillette Silver Blue, Croma, Ladas, are all very smooth blades for me. They aren't as sharp as Feather, though. Feathers are awesome and I use them regularly and carefully. They are sharp as Hell, but they can be raspy. The same happens with platinum blades on my face; raspy. But, that's me. A smoother blade might help while you are getting the hang of this.

I use a cold water rinse and alum after my shave. Let it sit for a minute and then rinse with cold water again. It can sting when initially, but I am finding now (after a year) that the more it tingles, the closer I've shaved. With smooth blades I hardly notice the tingle.

But, I think technique trumps everything equipment-wise. Getting the angle correct was a key for me, as was managing pressure. I still believe that your burn is coming from angle and pressure. Practice riding the cap. You will be surprised at how close these razors shave, even when you can't feel the edge of the blade on your skin.

You are doing everything right. Just keep practicing. It will get better. It's like brand-new ski boots or in-line skates. Your feet will punish you until you've had about 15 hours in them; then you won't notice.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  18. Hoss304

I have Van Der Hagen soap . I just have a stockpile of Nivea Sensitive products . Witch Hazel helped it tremendously yesterday . I can't get a great lather from Nivea but it seems to be best for my skin. I've tried every kind of shave cream that says sensitive. None kill the razor burn but stuff like barbasol seems to dry my face out more than Nivea. I use barbasol just for head shaves . The Feather razor only came with two blades then I'll be trying Voskhod.

19. Hoss304

The feather popular was suggested to me on a Facebook group. They said it's a good beginner mild razor and you get to try the sharpest blades. I'm looking into the futur clone to try out next.

20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I am fortunate in that I must have rhino skin. Even when I was cart shaving I never had redness, irritation, ingrown hairs, etc. Of course I limited myself to two blade at the most carts.
    Once I started DE shaving things just got closer and smoother.

whiteboy_cannon, twhite and Hoss304 like this.