Newbie here . My razor burn saga

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hoss304, May 22, 2017.

1. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

My only problem area is my neck . I could shave the rest and my head with a butter knife with no issues . I can head shave with the cheapest Bic disposable or even generic brands. I for sure get a much better shave with the feather vs my first setup .

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  2. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Great advice. Just keep at it. Your shaves will improve. When I started, and got tons of advice here I was almost overwhelmed. My advice is take one major thing to focus on for a week, then focus on the next technique. So for the first week maybe try to really focus on the angle. Then the next pressure, then whatever. You choose the order. I found that when I tried to focus on every piece of advice given to me my shaves were worse. Just keep it simple stupid and work on something simple each week that will help your shaves. Just my 2 cents.

Hoss304, RetLEO-07 and wchnu like this.
  3. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

And if you are keeping with the cold or ice water shaves, (I never use warm water anymore), try rubbing an ice cube all over your face and neck. Really helps with any inflammation and irritation, then do your alum and aftershave products

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

There are two important skills to be learned:
    1. Less pressure. When you shave with Mach3, the pressure is distributed on 3 blades. With a DE, the pressure is on one single blade. You need thus to have far less pressure. If your skin is bulging in, you have too much pressure. Too much pressure is one of the biggest reason for irritation as it makes the sharp edge to scrape the skin with all that pressure.
    2. Finding the right angle. Some will always tell to ride the cap, which is fine for many razors and faces. However, some razors seem to work better when riding the safety bar rather than the cap. You should experiment with different angles to see what feels most comfortable. Also, what works for one person, maybe do not work for you because you might have the hair growing in another angle. Especially if you do an ATG pass, I think it is good to avoid having the blade at the same angle as the whiskers.
    Besides this, make sure you have a slippery face. "Squeaky clean" from soap is actually worse than not using soap at all. I find that adding a tiny amount of glycerin to the lather helps it to stay good longer. Glycerin is both slippery and will prevent the lather from drying up while you shave. A bad lather is a sure way to get irritation.