Newbie Here

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by chan4070, Feb 15, 2017.

1. chan4070

chan4070 Member

Hi, I'm Cliff and I am new to wet shaving with a safety razor. I received my first today and I am hooked. Looking forward to learning more about these tools and techniques.

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Hi Cliff, welcome to the shave den. You are in the best possible spot to learn about wet shaving, so ask away.

What is your current setup (razor, blade, soap, aftershave, etc)?

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Greetings from Minnesota.

4. chan4070

chan4070 Member

Hey Straight Razor. I am currently using the Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl for my razor, the Derby Extra razors that came with the Jagger however I did order a razor sample pack from Amazon when I ordered the Jagger. I am afraid to use some of the ones in the pack because I am brand new to this technique of shaving and I don't want to end up looking like Scarface. My soap right now is the Sir Hare classic barber scent but I am going to order some others once I get and idea as to what I like. My aftershave is a Dove for men balm that I got from the grocery store.

macaronus and wristwatchb like this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

The Edwin Jagger DE89 us a great razor. I still own and use one regularly. A blade sampler is a good idea. You can get them on tryablade.com or eBay for the best prices available.
    Your soap and aftershave needs updating. Stirling soap.com has great options for both. You can also get great aftershaves at a nearby drug store. Pinaud clubman is a favorite of many (including me). Old spice, Brut, data, lectic shave are some other options.

Soaps can be a rabbit hole, but as someone who has tried a ton, I recommend Stirling, barrister and mann, and catie's bubbles. They are affordable, incredible performers, and fairly Easy to find.

6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Welcome from Canada

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

9. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shaving Den forums.

Sent via mobile - Chris

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!
    There is no reason to fear ANY blade. They are all designed to cut, that's why we buy 'em. Not a single one of them will tolerate bad technique - improper angel, too much pressure, a sideways swipe.
    So don't fear! Just pay attention to what you're doing, take your time, little to no pressure, let the weight of the razor head work for you.

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  12. gabrzm

gabrzm New Member

Welcome Cliff! You'll find lots of helpful tips and tricks the people here are great! :)

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Cliff, welcome to The Shave Den! You have a nice razor that should serve you well. The blade sampler is a great idea also.

Check out the 30 Day Rule/Focus where we are all working on our shaving technique and having fun. It's a very helpful and supportive group of new and veteran wet shavers. You are welcome to join anytime!

RyX likes this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome Cliff. You've already gotten some good advice. I'm in the 30 day Focus and I think you'll find it helpful in figuring out which blade works best with your razor and face. For me Shark worked in my DE89. Have fun finding out what works for you.

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den! The Edwin Jagger is a great razor, is always a pleasure to use and will serve you well.

Feel free to ask questions as many of us have been using DEs, SEs, injectors and SRs for years now. You're in with very friendly and knowledgeable company!

17. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Welcome aboard!

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @chan4070! Use that search box, the database is deep. Don't be afraid to revive a thread if the conversation stalled. Folks come and go, so the OP's might not answer but the current cast of characters are sure to offer opinions, advice, even actual information!
    Several members of The 30 Day Crew have invited you, and I'm one, too. Click the link in my Signature below if you're curious. We are a gathering of New Shavers learning to use their gear, and Old Shavers sharpening their technique. Plus there's Shenanigans ;)

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Did someone say a thread needs to be revived? Where? What?...:scared011:

20. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!