Newbie needing advice on kinds of Safety Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Special_K, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Special_K

Special_K New Member

I picked up a Krona and a Fatboy at a local antique mall. I am 2weeks into using the Krona with Derby blades (someone suggested that Krona was a good learner and the Derbys were good starters). I feel like I am not quite getting a close enough shave. I do have a pretty thick, wiry type beard that grows very fast. I have the UK Blade Sample Pack coming from Connaught.

Should I switch to the Fatboy or continue using the Krona with different blades?

I am also looking into buying a new razor and have seen that most reccomend the Mekur HD...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

What patterns (and how many) are you using in your reduction sequence?
    ie: (1) N-S WTG, (1) S-N XTG, and Touch up (my basic daily shave)

The Derby and FatBoy should be a pretty good match, just start low on the setting (3-4 perhaps) and see how it feels
    and FWIW, I am not a fan of the HD.

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Sounds like you've got a good starting setup. Some possibilities for a closer shave:

1. If you want to stay with the Krona, you might try buying some blades known for sharpness like Feather. This depends on your comfort level with DE shaving.

2. If you want to try out the Fatboy, you could stick with the Derby blades and try the Fatboy at a lower setting, say 3 or so. Get used to how the Fatboy shaves and then try shaving at higher settings. I use my slim adj. at a 5 setting.

3. Adjust your technique with the Derby/ Krona setup and change the number of passes, maybe add a few.

It takes a while to find just the right way to shave. You'll have to experiment to find what works for you.

4. Special_K

Special_K New Member

FWIW ???

1 - WTG (N/S above jawline; S/N below)
    2 ATG (reverse)
    3 minimal touch up

5. Special_K

Special_K New Member

The higher the setting the more room there is between the blade and safety, right? Which gives you a more aggressive shave but also more possibility of doing damage if you're not careful right?

6. omegapd

omegapd New Member

You got it. I'm using my FB at 4 with good results, especially ATG.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Basically that's right. On some adjustable (I believe the Fatboy is like this) it also changes the amount of "bend" in the blade, with less bend on a higher setting. On my Fatboy, I find that all settings from 6 to 9 shave basically the same, so at some point, the safety bar is so far away it just doesn't come into play anymore. If you're technique is good, you don't have a significant risk of a bad cut anyway, it's more of a razor burn prevention issue.

Personally, I'm not a hug fan of the Fatboy on my face (when I shave my head is a different story), so I'd go for a different blade in the Korona. I find Derby blades to be just sharp enough to be usable and they go dull quick. Some blades that may perform better: Astra Superior Platinum, Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow), Dorco 301, LORD Extra, LORD Classic, and likely any other LORD made blades (I've not tried them all).

Also, how many passes are you making per shave? What direction relative to the grain? Are you using any "advanced" techniques such as blade buffing, the Gillette slide, or J-hooking? Making more passes, making an ATG pass, and using different techniques in difficult areas are all ways to get a closer shave without changing equipment.

8. Special_K

Special_K New Member

WOW!!! you have my head spinning :think002

I am making two passes - a WTG and then a ATG

where do i find out more about those advanced techniques....i guess using a shave den search, huh

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

you stop right there and get yourself a gem :)

10. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

In another thread I have posted infromation about the different types of razors, but I will sumarize here. You will need to decide which razor is best for you, your Krona is a TTO or Twist To Open, while an excellent razor may not be the best for you. The different types of razors and a well known example of each are:

1) Twist To Open - Shick Krona
    2) Three Piece Open Comb - Speedway
    3) Three Piece Closed Comb
    4) Single Edge Clamshell - Gem Minicromatic
    5) Single Edge TTO - Eversharp or Autostrop
    6) Shick Injector

Perhapse one of the three piece razors are a better idea.

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Consider doing a XTG pass between the WTG and ATG pass. This might get your shave a little closer.
    Go to Mantic59's youtube page and watch his advanced techniques video. Use whatever you find helpful. I use the slide and/or blade buff on my jawline. I haven't found j-hooking to work very well, but it works for some.

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Minor quibble here: you've got those razors backwards. The micromatic is a TTO and the EverReady, Star, GEM, G-Bar, etc... are all clamshells.

Single Edge (SE) razors shave differently than Double Edge. If you want to try SE shaving then I suggest you start with one of the clamshell variety and stay away from the micromatic- in my experience they're harder to use.

13. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

And in my experience, Derbys suck.

14. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

In Boot camp a close shave was a must. My CC recomended we all buy Schick Kronas. He was right. I used one for years.

Doc.

15. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Never used either but I do hear from other members of this forum that both Krona and HD are great razors. Although the heavy duty tends to be preferred over the Korona inmates here in the funny farm tend to perferr the Krona.

Attached Files:

16. Special_K

Special_K New Member

So now that I am a little over a month into DE wet shaving, I have honed the craft a little. I am now using the fatboy on setting 4 and doing a WTG pass and then a ATG pass using the a blade buffing "advanced" technique and then a fine tuning pass. Getting great comfortable shaves and loving it. Got my blade sampler pack yesterday along with some cream and soap samplers from TSD store.

Having fun with it and looking forward to shaving....my wife already thinks i am obessed! I know I am! LOL

17. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Look in all my years of communicating via the internet I have spoken with approximatly 1,000 married men. Of those only one of them have reported that the Mrs has been supportive of their efforts. My mrs thinks I am nuts.

I have learned that American consumers are very very very gullable and will buy any over priced garbage put in front of them. I have found that women are a lot more gullable then men, don't quite understand why this is yet but think whis has something to do with out hunter-gather roots.

So who do you want to take advice from those that have already woken up and figured out that they were being taken advantage of for years or a gullable mrs who will buy anything put in front of her. Double the price of that garbage in front of her and its even better.

18. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Ouch!! I am glad I haven't met the women in your life! My wife could outgather and outshop me any day of the week.