Newbie Update

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bowler Mike, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

I was wet shaving for two weeks before discovering these forums. I'm into week four and have received my sample pack, an alum block, witch hazel and a premium cream. I've been getting really good results except for my neck. Still trying to work that out and go through my sample pack of blades.

I'm doing WTG and XTG on my neck just when I think I'm starting to get it and ingrown hair or red bumps show up the next day. With DE shaving is common to get bumps on the neck when the blade cuts above the skin or does your skin eventually adjust? I purchased some Shave Secrete from Walmart to try on my neck before I lather will try that tonight.

2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Make sure you really know your growth direction on your neck. Mine is all over the place, and I have to be careful to stay WTG in one area.

That being said, pressure, blade angle, and blade sharpness are all factors to consider with any irritation. It will probably take some practice before you can pinpoint which of the 3 is the main problem, and you may have to compromise a little on closeness for the sake of comfort in certain areas.

Slow Joe, VedderLG and fram773 like this.
  3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

One gets ingrowns when the blade cuts below the skin. I sometimes get ingrowns on my neck and it only happens when I shave ATG there. I'd do WTG only for now...

Slow Joe likes this.
  4. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

The two biggest things that helped me get rid of neck irritation are: 1) Beard mapping 2) Cold water shaving. Irritation and ingrowns are now a distant memory for me.

5. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Make sure to prep your neck really well, by washing it and lathering it just as much as your face. Also at the end of the shave make sure you wash all the soap off and put some aftershave balm on. If you combine this with the other advice here on pressure and beard mapping things will improve. I went through the same thing at the start.☺

Boojum1 likes this.
  6. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. My neck has been clearing up doing WTG passes only for now. Not as close as I'd like but that's fine for now. Just about done with my sample pack of blades will experiment I little more when I start my 30 day rule with the same blade and razor.

7. lilbones99

lilbones99 Member

Sounds like things are starting to sort themselves out for you and your on the right track. I have been keeping to two passes on my neck for a while while I do 3 plus clean up elsewhere. I am happy with clean and close and don't go chasing the BBS especially on my neck, that's when I had the most irritated skin and bumps. After about 4 months I'm finding I'm getting consistent, good shaves every day now, where at the beginning I had days when I thought I'd carve my face off if I couldn't get it right. Some folks seem to get it sooner, others take longer. But sounds like you're on the right track, and good news is you'll get to practice every day or so and for a good many years to come! ;)

8. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I have a bit of neck irritation around my adams apple, always have no matter the shave method. Any recommendations? I have been finding that minimizing strokes against the grain on my neck has minimized irritation as well.

9. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Funny how your skin sensitivity varies though...I have no problems on my face.

10. lilbones99

lilbones99 Member

It is funny. Before with cartridges I had very few problems with my neck, but always ingrowns and red around mouth and chin. Those have all but disappeared with my De, but my neck requires some extra time and attention. I don't have a very pronounced Adams apple but its still a challenge area. Both mantic and geofatboy have good videos on the tube regarding this. Holding a swallow helps flatten the area while your razor passes over it, or simply pulling the skin to one side of the Adams apple then the other can give you a flat area to shave. I also, after much practice mind you, hold the razor at a bit of a slant on some areas of my neck, cutting a more narrow pass with each stroke. Maybe not the best advice will your still learning, so take it with a grain of salt and keep it in mind once you've got everything else down pat!
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll find your way to enjoy your shave.

11. What are the benefits of cold water shaving?

12. lilbones99

lilbones99 Member

I'm no expert, I'm sure one will chime in soon enough tho. But I believe that some who cold shave get reduced irritation, the cold causes the skin to constrict and there for the whiskers stand upright ready for the blade.
    Someone please add to this and correct me if I'm wrong :ashamed001:

Richard Dunbar likes this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus