Newbie with a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by neilbart10, Aug 9, 2015.

1. neilbart10

neilbart10 New Member

Hi there

Just received Muhle R89 razor and used it with the blade provided.

I have to say the shave was average at best and I am sure this was mostly down to my technique. Would I be right in thinking however that the supplied Muhle blade would not be overly close?

I have also just received a sample pack of blades.

Could anyone possibly suggest which ones I use first?

Wilkinson Sword

Feather

Derby

Super Max Stainless

Personna Platinum chrome

Super max blue diamond

Astra super platinum

Astra superior stainless

Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless

Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge.

Thanks in advance guys.

hippiebrian and clint64 like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Glad that you landed here at TSD, @neilbart10 . I'm sure you will fit right in. Go alphabetically on those blades. Happy shaves.
    Join us on The Shave of the Day thread. It is fun, and you will see all kinds of products.
    And please Mark YOUR location on the TSD map:) - instructions here.

InspiringK likes this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD! I have not tried all of the blades in your list, but I have found some success with the Astra blades. You will quickly find, though, that blade preferences vary from person to person, so it will be some expirementaion for you to find a good blade. I have an Edwin Jagger razor with the same head as your Muhle, and I love that razor. Work on your technique, and you will find yourself getting good shaves from the razor. What is your prep like?

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hello and welcome
    I happen to have lucked into finding a blade that likes me.(persona labs) so I'm not much help.
    I'd advise to keep a few notes on each. your face will know when you get to one that's better than the others. then it's technique time,( time to build your skill) I'd suggest you stick with one during that time.

5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Hello and welcome to the Den. Give them all a try. Enjoy the ride!

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Hi and welcome to TSD. I know in the beginning my shaves were average at best as well. It's down to technique more than the blade. Of the choices you've listed, I would start with the Astra SP. Save the Feather until you've mastered the technique.

kurtmill likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

People find different blades work best for them, it's hard to predict how a given blade will perform for you. I would recommend saving the Feather blades for last though. They are a very sharp blade and have a tendency to nick you. They are my favorite blade in some razors, but I did get a few nicks in early usage.

spacehobo likes this.
  9. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den:eatdrink047: and congrats on your first single blade shave :happy096:

As others have mentioned, as your technique improves so will your shaves.

Something to keep in mind is that better lather also creates better shaves. I would rather shave with a bad blade than with bad lather - so make sure you work on your preshave prep as well as your lather as you are selecting the right blades.

Blade preference varies greatly from one person to the next, it really seems to be a personal choice. That being said Astra SP is likely the most popular blade on your list and provides a very good balance of smoothness and sharpness - so I'd suggest starting there. The green Gillette blades would be my next choice. Derby is one blade that I personally find more akin to shaving with a serrated bread knife than shaving with a decent razor blade!

10. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den. I have to agree blade choice is personal preference. I would save the feathers till you technique improves. Focus on good prep and take your time. Let the weight of the razor do the work as you guide it. As for blades I like the Astra as well as the derby when I was learning technique but ymmv.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A warm welcome to you from North Texas. Blades and razors form a system a blade that works well for you with one razor might not work as well for you in another razor. Here is a general purpose thread to help explain the issues of razors and blades.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...ild-sharp-or-smooth-a-general-overview.37813/

You might also want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day systems and more on shaving hardware and software or CLICK HERE!

With that being said ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

12. neilbart10

neilbart10 New Member

Thank you all very much for your warm welcome and advice.

I think I will have a couple of more shaves with the Muhle to try and improve upon my technique and then move onto the Astra.

Thanks again

13. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hello and welcome

I Would say try personna, Astra SP and wilkinson first. But as the other have Said, only your skin can judge how a blade performs.

When i found a blade that worked i bought 100 pack and kept that factor constant while I practiced on my technique.

Now I'm searching for more blades that work for me =)

Also don't use a blade to many times, after a point the edge on the blade just makes the shave uncomfortable

14. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

Welcome! I think the best way to pick the order you try the blades is eenie meenie minee moe...

Ymmv

Sara-s likes this.
  15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

ONLY YOU can say witch blade is best for YOU. So try the blades in the sample pack, and pick the one that works best for you.

16. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

It will probably take 30-60 days to get your technique down. Just don't over think stuff at first. Use a blade for 3-4 days and call it good. Work on comfort, not closeness. Run they your blades and take notes. Then buy 5 packs of each of the ones you like. That's about two months of shaving and you will have a much better feel for everything. This process takes time.

hippiebrian likes this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I agree that you have to find the blades that work for you. the good thing is that you already picked up a sampler:signs107: so its all trial and error from here. I wish you luck on finding what works best for you!

18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Welcome to the Shave Den
    Nice sample pack. My advice is to save the feather for when you've got your technique to a good level.

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "neilbart10"

The trick with blades is to try ALOT of them, inorder to find the best blade/blades for your face and technique. While you could get lucky and get your perfect blade first or second try, you still should try an assortment of blades to really see what works best for you. Other shavers can tell you our preferences, but only your face can tell you what's correct for you.:happy088:
    Some of my favorites:
    Vikings Sword
    Polsilver Super Iridiums
    Astra SP
    Seven O'clock Yellows and Greens
    Red pack Personna
    Bluebird

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    hippiebrian likes this.
  20. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!