Newbie's update

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by psyrob, May 25, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I had not thought about that. Very well put about the move to more aggressive due to more gentle shaves. Make that move without the skill level needed and it's not nice.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's why you've grown to love SE. Used correctly, it's heavy and thick blade approaches SR comfort levels.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!! That is a point I try to make often. SE is awesome in every way.

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats on completing your 30 day rule. You're off to a great start.

You've received some great advice so far. Have fun developing your skills and exploring new soaps and creams. Taylor of Old Bond Street is another nice cream for the money, BTW.

I'm also a believer that technique trumps tools. After you've developed solid technique, it is fun to try different blades and razors. At that point, you'll really be able to discern differences in performance. It probably took me a year to get to that point. I'm sure you'll progress faster with all the wonderful help and encouragement here.

I now rotate between a handful of different blades and razors and get nice two pass shaves from all of them.

Everyone's journey is different. Have fun and keep learning!

Spyder, RyX, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yes yes yes...the ToBS.... One of my favorite rose scents... Thanks for throwing it out there!

6. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

A "blade is a blade"? Compare a Rainbow with a Voskhod.

whiteboy_cannon and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

There's an implied asterisk in the statement about getting good shaves with any razor & blade combo using proper technique.

*except with damaged or blatantly inferior products.

The progression from mild blade & mild razor, through mild blade/ aggressive razor or aggressive blade/mild razor, to aggressive blade & razor isn't a given for everyone. Beard and skin type dictate the subjective "This feels good". No shame in finding your perfect shave if its less than a Feather in a Fatip.

Spyder likes this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This get old. If a blade is not sharp from the start no amount of technique will make it shave. If a blade is sharp then my statement holds. I can get just as good close and whatever you want to judge by a shave from a dollar store Dorco as I can from a feather. Solid technique is the key. People get way to into the hype on blades. They do not matter near as much as most think.

Spyder and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  9. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Yup, it did get old, so whatever floats yer boat, dude.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I shaved for years with Shark SS blades and Colonel Conk soap. I never new how "bad" they were until I found forums and met a bunch of people chomping at the bit to tell me.

11. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I'm loving Shark SS blades and I doubt anyone can convince me that they are "bad" blades. As for the Colonel he'll do just not as good as others. Decent slickness decent protection terrible post shave feel though. I do love the Bay Rum scent though still in my rotation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

I think sometimes people have bad experiences with certain products and assume that product works bad for others and say they need to get better gear. I will say, Col. Conk dried my skin terribly, but I know some love it. It does have decent slickness, which makes for great shaves. People tend to forget YMMV at times.

Spyder and LevelupShaves like this.
  13. LevelupShaves

To your original question I think committing to a blade you like is a great idea. To be perfectly honest blades are kind of boring at least in my opinion. If you're just dying to spend some money on shave gear do it somewhere fun like soaps and AS all the different scents and feel on the face there's nearly endless combos. Personally I like allocating resources to the more enjoyable parts of the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder, whiteboy_cannon and wchnu like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ain't it amazing. Most everything I use sucks and is not able to shave a bald peach.

15. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

heh. I'd gotten used to the blades I could get, and just didn't realize that the shaves would be much -better- with better blades.

Roderick and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  16. Redrooster

Redrooster Member

Psyrob if your uk based ill happly send you some tucks of blades to try.Ive got arco'wilkinson german ones and some 7 oclocks you could try any cheap cream and add a drop to your soap may help lather it up.stick at it i went the other way bought an att single edge bout a year ago and used nothing else since.

17. psyrob

psyrob Member

OK, I went to a cool shave shop here in Pasadena and picked up Proraso Red cream and an Arko stick. Really like the smell of the Arko. Going with the Proraso for a while, it whips up great and is slick enough for me so far. So the routine is homemade pre-shave oil, WIlkinson sword classic, Treet Super Platinum and the Prorarso red. oh, thayers rose witch hazel then nivea aftershave sensitive skin . After a week or so with Prorarso, I'll break out the Arko

18. LevelupShaves

Try the Proraso red AS too it's pretty awesome

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

19. psyrob

psyrob Member

Red Rooster, I'm in Los Angeles, not UK, but thanks for the offer...

20. psyrob

psyrob Member

Got the Porarso Red After Shave for Father's day. I like it, subtle, but has a presence. My girls like it too, a good vote of approval...

LevelupShaves likes this.