Next blade to try.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tuffy, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Tuffy

Tuffy Member

I bought a 50 blade assortment on Amazon to start my safety razor experience. I put a Derby blade in for my first week. It seemed to be fine, but what do I know? Now, should I continue on with Derby for awhile or try something else? If so, what would be next? I seem to recall reading that Feathers are really sharp and maybe not a good choice for a beginner. Or does it matter much? My assortment has 15 different brands: Bluebird, Derby, Gillette, Asco, Crown, Shark, Big Ben, Lord, Trig, Super Max, Bic, Treet, Astra, Nacet and Feather.

Gillette, Bluebird, and Lord are the brands with the highest quantities in the assortment. It will likely take me a year to get through all 50 blades.

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

It could take you a year to use all 50 blades but there will likely be some you don't like in the pack.

Here's what I like to do. If Derby's seem ok, try another blade and decide which one you like better. Then compare your favorite blade to another. It's much easier to compare 2 blades at a time.

I also found it helpful to keep some notes and I find blades going into a few categories. There are ones I just don't like. Whether it's because they're not sharp enough or whatever, I wouldn't buy them again. Then there are the ok blades. They do a decent job but maybe they're a little rough feeling or don't last very long. They're usable but not perfect. Then there are the ones that make you smile when you use them. They're sharp enough to mow down your whiskers but don't cut your face and leave you with a great, irritation free shave.

GlennConti and alpla444 like this.
  3. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I like feeltheburn's simple approach. Blades need not be micro analyzed, especially at the beginning of your journey. A simple "very good, OK, marginal" categorization is sufficient. As your technique improves your categorizations may change later so do not get rid of any blades precipitously as you may appreciate them more later. Suggest you save the Feathers for last, as these especially depend on having mastered the "zero pressure" principle.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Take one blade of each brand - leave in wrapper
    Put those blades into small paper bag
    Shake bag
    Close eyes
    Reach in and grab one

That's the next blade to try. All blades are designed to cut, that's why we buy 'em. Not all blades will work for you. For me, or anyone, to tell what blade to try or not try simply because it does or does not work for them, is crazy. Only your face can tell you if a blade is working for you or not.

And as has been said, keep notes.

newb likes this.