Nick-Free!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by zoltetov, May 31, 2016.

1. zoltetov

zoltetov Active Member

So I gave my face a couple days of growth since my last post so I can study the direction the hair grows. I did the first pass with the grain. Then my second pass was across the grain, and I repeated this on my third pass.

This is the first time in the 2 months that I didn't tear myself up! When I used the menthol stuff, no burns! Now, the only issue is around the jaw line and under my chin is not the closest I've ever had, but its certainly good enough!

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Good for you! What did you use and which advice do you think was most helpful?

(I suggest a celebratory TSD raffle ticket purchase to mark your success!)

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice! Hope you paid close attention to what you did so you can repeat it.

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sounds like you're on your way. Good to hear you liked your shave. :happy088::happy088:

5. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Awesome news and I too have jaw line and under chin issues. It is always the areas I have to touch up on and would pay a lot of attention with small strokes in different directions. I have been using DEs for about 2 months now and recently started to push my limits so I don' recommend trying this until you get more comfortable and shall I say daring as you can cause irritation or worse nick yourself. For under the chin I resorted to slowly applying small and I can't stress enough...very light...xtg strokes and drawing back with the cap still touching and then another xtg stroke. When I draw back the cream reapplies for the next stroke. While not a perfect method, it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Well done!

7. zoltetov

zoltetov Active Member

I'm using the green proraso line (soap, not cream), a derby blade on a 3 pc Merkur 180 long handle. I was using a G. tech for the last month, but I'm more comfortable with the long handle for the time being.

I think the advice that stuck with me was:
    - don't press!
    - go WITH the grain first, and then across.
    - don't shave over anything that hasn't had the soap reapplied to it. (This is hard because of habits!)
    - don't press!

It wasn't the closest shave ever, but I'll take it. It was good enough for finally not bleeding to death! (And I'll have to get a raffle ticket :))

AGHisBBS, George X, swarden43 and 2 others like this.
  8. zoltetov

zoltetov Active Member

That makes a lot of sense, the draw back method. I have to try that. I was going with the grain the first pass, and then against the 2nd pass, and it was bad. So maybe I'll add a quick pass last, going against under my chin using your method.

AGHisBBS and navy mac like this.
  9. George X

Proceed with extreme caution. You have been warned and I will not be responsible for any blood drawn:shaver

AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. zoltetov

zoltetov Active Member

I got it all here in black and white. George X told me to go to town like a wild man!!! :cool:

AGHisBBS, twhite, George X and 2 others like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Is this what I've heard referred to as "Buffing"?

twhite and George X like this.
  12. George X

RyX and twhite like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Buffing ATG has solved my problem under my Jaw. I struggled with that area for months. Also remember no pressure when Buffing works best for me. I also increase the speed of my stroke when buffing. That did not sound too good.:D

Tom

14. zoltetov

zoltetov Active Member

Are we still discussing shaving? :angelic007:

AGHisBBS, George X and twhite like this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes we are:)
    I tend to say the wrong things just ask my wife.:(

AGHisBBS and zoltetov like this.
  16. zoltetov

zoltetov Active Member

I suffer from the same disease!

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Isn't there a thread about taking things "out of context"?
    I think it's right next to the C.T. thread...Doh!

18. zoltetov

zoltetov Active Member

By the way, amazing collection. I'm very jealous! :)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks. My wife is not all that thrilled. It is the cheapest hobby I have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and George X like this.
  20. zoltetov

zoltetov Active Member

I used to keep a reef tank. The amount of stuff I can buy compared to just a month of upkeep with that is unbelievable. And now I don't smell like saltwater and fish poop! So, you know, there's that...

AGHisBBS, barbersurgeon and George X like this.