Nickel allergy?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by feeltheburn, Sep 17, 2013.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

So I'm starting to think I might be allergic to nickel. It seems whenever I use a nickel plated razor for a few days I start getting red bumps on my neck that get progressively worse every day. Then when I switch to a non-nickel plated razor, they go away. They're only on my neck though. Not on my face. It seems a bit strange and for a while I've been noticing this happening but figured it was more likely a technique issue since I haven't been doing this all that long.

Anyway, a bit over a month ago, I started shaving with my Merkur 39c (chrome plated AFAIK) for about a week. Then I used my Muhle R89 (also chrome plated) for about a week. Both with Feather blades. My neck was nice and clear of red spots/bumps at this point. Then I used a Gillette Super Adjustable with a Feather for about a week. After a few days, the red spots started coming back. The shaves felt fine. I wasn't feeling irritation or nicking myself. So I switched to a Slim and the spots/bumps kept getting worse even though the shaves felt fine. So a few days ago I switched to my Weber stainless with a Feather and the spots are almost gone again. Weird.

The only difference I can figure is the nickel plating. In fact, I gave myself a few weepers with the Weber yesterday and they were invisible within a few minutes and haven't left me with any red spots. So I think I'll be laying off the vintage razors for a while.

Does anyone know what the finish is on a satin Futur? It looks like electroless nickel and last time I used it I did seem to get the red spots after a few days with it.

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Oh well I guess you'll have to suffer through using one of those damn SS razors(Weber,Tradere,iKon,Feather) and of course theres always rhodium and gold...:) Well at least you'll still be able to shave...Have you ever used something like a Vintage Gillette where the nickle plating has worn off? A polished copper and brass Gillette "Fat Handle" tech looks sweet!!!:happy088:

Shotwell and feeltheburn like this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

It could definitely be worse. Really pretty minor in the big scheme of things. There may be a couple Super Speed PIF's coming up soon :)

5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

That's another thing I never considered when shaving. I'm allergic reactions to eucalyptus and platinum coated blades. It narrows my blade options down, but I was able to find what worked for me.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

hmmm... :think002: "eucalyptus and platinum," a very strange combination for coating blades.

:happy102: I kill me!

7. Ryan B

Oh geez. You got me again. :p

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

He ge
    He gets all of us.......

9. Ryan B

Oh well, he had over 12 hours to get me. I figured I'm lucky I made it as long as I did.

10. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Swarden43 is like having our very own Don Rickles as a moderator....lol

swarden43, Ryan B and Queen of Blades like this.
  11. swarden43

Nice!
    But CPO Sharkey was Navy. I was Air Force. :transport015:

12. Ryan B

You both served honorably, take the compliment! :p

BigT likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

I've searched all day for those %&&*# eucalyptus coated blades I just can't find them anywhere...:)

swarden43 likes this.
  14. swarden43

Need to broaden your search - eucalyptus AND platinum :D

15. 178-bplatoon

Thanks Steve I didn't even think to search for them together...Thats what I like about this place "ALWAYS" someone willing to help a fellow shaver out!!

I think it just upset me so,finding out that Ryan was an allergic reaction :( That kind of info is always so upsetting.....:sad024:

swarden43 likes this.
  16. swarden43

Not a problem.
    Speaking of Ryan, since he was the one who had the allergic reaction to them, see if he has any left he might send off to you? If not, he might be able to tell you where he got 'em.

17. swarden43

Please don't tell me he set one of our own TSD members off with hives or an uncontrollable sneezing fit!

18. Ryan B

Yep, I am an allergy.

But Proraso Green really gave me an allergic reaction. Then every time I have used an IP, Astra SP, or any other platinum coated blade, I got all sorts of red bumps on my neck and face that lasted for weeks. No fun.

19. 178-bplatoon

Is it just the platinum coated blades or any kind of coating on the blades?

20. Ryan B

So far it's just been the platinum ones. It sucks, because a lot of blades are platinum coated.